C'wealth Commonwealth Games - Glasgow 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

What's coverage of this like in Australia? I don't even think it's on TV over here.

Channel 10...much more interested in talking to each other about how great it all is than actually showing the sport.

What's coverage of this like in Australia? I don't even think it's on TV over here.
Try your international sports channel if you have one. Most overseas countries have an australian channel so take a look.

Rapt that Sally Pearson won her race.
Also matthew mitcham winning gold in the diving.

Last edited:
I'm developing a liking for high jumpers right now.

I feel like a dirty old man, but so long as the eyes still work, I can still look...

I remember being at the 2006 Melbourne Commonwealth Games and the women high jumpers were competing. There was this South African who kept doing the backwards crab position while warming up right in front of me... hnnnggggg it was amazing!

All dem hockey girls... Also there was a steeplechaser the other night. That Jenneke chick is over rated. Still hot, but over rated

Jenneke earns bonus points because she's *in rad outside of sport too. Happy to smash a beer and talk to everyone outside of competition/training times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Outside anything personal, I'm not sure if being abrasive is something to make a big stink about. Obviously it won't work with some, but may work with others. AFAIK Solomon was given the opportunity at London to help him progress, to "fastrack" him. Has he come on since?

He got a scholarship to Stanford where he is doing pre med studies as well as athletics. he was injured most of 2013. He is the best young 400m we have had since Darren Clark took the athletics world by storm in 1982/83 as a 17 year old. Solomon broke his junior records. He hasn't progressed - but he hasn't really gone backwards either, but who knows how much his injuries have help him back as well as his pre med studies. He wants to be a doctor so he might not be as fanatical about running as Darren Clark was.

http://www.stevensolomon.com.au/aboutme/
Following the London Olympic Games, I began my scholarship at Stanford University in the United States of America. Shortly after my arrival, I injured my back which rendered me out for most of the 2013 season. Dedication to my rehabilitation once again proved invaluable, as I was able to win my first race for the Cardinal in may 2013- after 8 months off the track. The season was a very frustrating one. I was vulnerably out of shape and was struggling to produce mediocre times. Patient advice was warmly greeted by my Stanford coach Jody Stewart, and together with my physiotherapist and training team I was able to line up with the Australian 4x400m relay team at the 2013 World Championships in Moscow, Russia. The team was able to qualify for the final, a tremendous achievement with a relatively young and inexperienced quartet. The result was especially significant to me, as a poor season had knocked some of my previously high spirits, but making it to the final certainly rekindled some needed energy and motivation.

No doubt they've gone over the top. Culbert hasn't helped when he's been on radio (has a regular slot on SEN1116). He's been using a deliberate language to lead you to an opinion, rather than just being straight about it, and letting you think for yourself. EH's statement is hardly "going out with a bang"

Culbert was a national selector for 4 or 5 years so he has a decent base to argue from. They obviously clashed over that time about selections. If EH's statement isn't going out with a bang then what is it? He was told not to say anything publicly - goes and hires a PR company to help him release a public statement which he knows is going to get him in trouble with AA, and that it will cause a controversy, and that his contract with AA is up in about 60 days. If that's not going out with a big bang then how would you describe it? A whimper?

How good he is as a coach? I don't care. But when I hear emotive rhetoric, and it's only one sided, it does sound an alarm from my pov. I'm highly suspicious of those creating the noise, regardless of how innocent they look.

Well that's where you differ with the majority of the athletics community. They do care. they want success and not unnecessary distractions. A head coach should be able to be flexible to accommodate individuals in a highly individualized sport. Fair enough a head coach should crack the whips when relays are involved but if individuals tailor their schedule to maximize their chance to win then so be it. AA regularly gets its self into trouble because of stupid officialdom. This is another case just like fining Alex Rowe for going to Monaco to race in a big meet against several of his Comm Games opponents and then equalling Ralph Doubell's 1968 800m record - the longest standing record in Australian Athletics.

Last edited:
He wants to be a doctor so he might be as fanatical about running as Darren Clark was.
Did you mean "mightn't"?

Culbert was a national selector for 4 or 5 years so he has a decent base to argue from. They obviously clashed over that time about selections. If EH's statement isn't going out with a bang then what is it? He was told not to say anything publicly - goes and hires a PR company to help him release a public statement which he knows is going to get him in trouble with AA, and that it will cause a controversy, and that his contract with AA is up in about 60 days. If that's not going out with a big bang then how would you describe it? A whimper?
When I've heard him speak, Culbert has been selective in his rhetoric. He's often been vague, and never specific. That alone make me suspicious.

Going out with a bang would be to be loud, outspoken and personal. Considering the content of his press release, making a big issue about the timing is pretty lame from my pov. Particularly when the focus is on Pearson, and nothing is made of the other two Australians competing in the same final. Never mind the other Australians competing.

I would not be surprised if the timing of his statement was for effect. Not because it'll disrupt Pearson. But because after the games are over, I don't think the media will care for what he thinks. It won't matter, Pearson has won the gold. It would be brushed off easily.

Well that's where you differ with the majority of the athletics community. They do care.
20 of 99 is not a majority. But maybe some of the opinions of the 20 may have more weight than others? Either way, when I said I didn't care, I meant in the context of this thread.

Did you mean "mightn't"?

Yes my bad - will edit.

When I've heard him speak, Culbert has been selective in his rhetoric. He's often been vague, and never specific. That alone make me suspicious.

Going out with a bang would be to be loud, outspoken and personal. Considering the content of his press release, making a big issue about the timing is pretty lame from my pov. Particularly when the focus is on Pearson, and nothing is made of the other two Australians competing in the same final. Never mind the other Australians competing.

I would not be surprised if the timing of his statement was for effect. Not because it'll disrupt Pearson. But because after the games are over, I don't think the media will care for what he thinks. It won't matter, Pearson has won the gold. It would be brushed off easily.

If EH said nothing there would have been no extra focus on Pearson. Pearson was always going to be the focus of media attention. That's how they operate. Until you win a medal you get very little especially when the swimmers open up the Olympics and Comm games. EH was going to have his say before he left and he went for maximum coverage. he knew the writing was on the wall. The timing was the real issue. if he released his statement today no one would have cared, but there is a little bit of spite to his timing of the release.

Did she set a bad example? I don't really think so. Its not a football team and she isn't running a relay and missing out on training with them.

20 of 99 is not a majority. But maybe some of the opinions of the 20 may have more weight than others? Either way, when I said I didn't care, I meant in the context of this thread.

I don't know where you get your 20 from, but look at the wider athletics community, those athletes who are in the system but not on national team, coaches, support staff etc. I know a few people in athletics and they don't have a high opinion of him. But I will adjust my comment and say a significant portion of the the athletics community don't like him. A lot probably have no opinion but his negatives % are several times bigger than his positive %.

Did you mean "mightn't"?

More than 20% in such a context is huge. Think there might be more though.

How the hell do you defend him. He's a disgrace. Athletics will be alot better without him.

http://www.smh.com.au/commonwealth-...ray-at-eric-hollingsworth-20140802-zzpby.html

Much of our "WinningEdge" funding depends on winning between 12-20 medals. Don't think we'll make 12 although having the walkers there would've got us over the line. As head coach that has to be a reflection on him as that's where the buck stops rightly or wrongly. We should always win 12 at this level.

Last edited:
The timing was the real issue. if he released his statement today no one would have cared, but there is a little bit of spite to his timing of the release.
In EH press release, I see no spite. He could've blabbed on at the airport, but he said nothing. Tony Jones was there, it a miracle anyone EH didn't punch him, if he was so volatile. It appears to me, that there's a bit of spite all round.

Did she set a bad example? I don't really think so. Its not a football team and she isn't running a relay and missing out on training with them.
It's not really a big deal in the first place. Michael Johnson pointed out a communication issue, which was a fair comment for a neutral like me. But he was being goaded into siding with Pearson. When I hear that type of talk, I instantly become suspicious. I just wonder whether he's really that bad, or there's a lot of pinched nerves. Whenever my nerves are pinched. Deep down, I know the flog who has done so, has got me.

I don't know where you get your 20 from,.
Culbert said on radio here, that 20 of the 99 on the team don't like him.

How the hell do you defend him. He's a disgrace. Athletics will be alot better without him.
Do you read the other parts of my posts? When I hear a chorus against anyone, like there's been in the media against EH. I immediately get suspicious. In the absence of anything specific, I don't let wailing influence me the way it's designed to.

Do you read the other parts of my posts? When I hear a chorus against anyone, like there's been in the media against EH. I immediately get suspicious. In the absence of anything specific, I don't let wailing influence me the way it's designed to.

A couple then ignored the rest. Too much crap. I'm involved in the sport at a high level so I have a pretty fair understanding.

Probably "suspicious" because it doesn't suit your argument. I'll listen to someone who's been there like Sally Pearson than some internet poster that probably doesn't know or has a clue of what's going on. Usually if there's a wailing there's something behind it. Can assure you Sally isn't the only one.

I'm guessing you're a relative of Eric's. He'll be happy there's one person in Australia that actually supports him. He might buy you a beer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back