May 15, 2004
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
kangaroos
Kangaroos' 19th man

1:09

MICHAEL Voss told a story about Brad Scott, about when they played together at Brisbane.

It revolved around Jason Akermanis.

Aker was being Aker on the field, a little impish, a little mouthy and, for whatever reason, his behaviour became a topic during a team meeting.

Some teammates didn’t like it. They wanted Aker to shut up and play football and not be a distraction.

NICE DON’T CUT IT, GOT TO BE ROO-THLESS

FINALS OR BUST FOR KANGAROOS

The discussion was to-ing and fro-ing, and then Scott spoke up.

He said something like: “I don’t care about what Aker’s saying. He’s my teammate and while he’s my teammate he’s got my 100 per cent support.’’

The Voss story was part of a wider discussion about Scott’s coaching, about whether he was tough enough on his players, about whether, after yet another defeat when they were expected to win, Scott was too supportive of the players.

662556-488b170a-1943-11e4-9498-229fc8e204d4.jpg

Brad Scott and captain Andrew Swallow. Picture: Wayne Ludbey.Source: News Corp Australia

The commentary began with the players themselves.

Todd Goldstein: “I think the coach has become a lot harder this year, especially the back end of this year so far. I don’t think he should’ve gone harder, but maybe made a few more examples of certain efforts and players at times that haven’t been acceptable.”

Brent Harvey: “If I had one criticism of Brad, and I don’t even know if it’s a criticism, he could’ve been a little bit harder early on. He probably nurtured some players six months too long. But he’s much harder this year.’’

Here’s the question: Is Scott tough enough?

Which leads to another question: Is North Melbourne ruthless enough as a club? Skipper Andrew Swallow asks the same questions in an interview with Jay Clark on Page 80 of today’s Herald Sun.

It’s an amazing query of the coach, for if you remember Scott the player, he was a ruthless, in-your-face competitor, so much so that he and his brother Chris were labelled the Kray Brothers by commentator Mike Sheahan.

662584-568db43c-194f-11e4-9498-229fc8e204d4.jpg

Levi Greenwood Andrew Swallow and Ryan Bastinac walk off at half time during the Round 18 match against Carlton. Photo by Michael DodgeSource: Getty Images

Scott can coach and despite criticism levelled at him for not being active enough in the coach’s box, this season he has overseen incredible victories over Port Adelaide, Sydney, Fremantle and Hawthorn.

The Roos play Geelong — coached by his brother — tonight.

The problem is Scott has also lost to Carlton, Gold Coast and Brisbane Lions.

Harvey said this week the team got too complacent against lower-ranked teams, was too lazy, and that clearly is an issue for the players — and the coach.

North Melbourne is sixth with a 10-7 win-loss record.

Its season is on the cusp. The Roos play the Cats, Greater Western Sydney, the Western Bulldogs, Adelaide and Melbourne.

They should win two, the other three are up for grabs. But what happens if it goes pear-shaped?

662415-c2ea50b4-1944-11e4-9498-229fc8e204d4.jpg

North Melbourne Chairman James Brayshaw at Arden Street.Source: News Limited

President James Brayshaw is a huge Scott fan. Brayshaw recently refuted claims Scott wasn’t hard enough on the players and, at every opportunity, Brayshaw lavishes the coach with praise.

“I think Brad Scott’s elite and I have enormous admiration for him. I think he is and he’s going to be a terrific senior coach for our club, so I have no problems there,’’ Brayshaw told 3AW.

No, he’s not elite. He’s a fourth-year coach, a coach who can’t get his team to play consistently from week to week. He’s a good coach, and will get better, but he’s far from elite.

Brayshaw is demanding of the players, and he made that public last week, but you have to wonder if he’s also demanding of the coach and the coaching staff.

Perhaps internally he is, but what most of us see and hear of Brayshaw is the laid-back and fun-loving media celebrity.

It’s not a criticism. He is what he is. He loves the club, but does he give it tough love?

Stage fright harming Roos

1:20

Winning football matches is a club thing. It’s not just about the players and coach, it’s about the football department, the board and the president. It’s about being hungry and honest and brutal.

Jeff Kennett might be eccentric, but he was ruthless in his demands of Alastair Clarkson, who was ruthless in his demands of the payers.

Fremantle was stunningly ruthless.

It sacked Mark Harvey for Ross Lyon, and Lyon has the same ruthless attitude towards his players. The Swans are ruthless in their recruiting. Geelong is ruthless in its demands for excellence.

I’m not advocating “doing a Mark Harvey’’ to Scott right now but, sooner or later, if North Melbourne players continue to be selective with their attitude, the question will be asked of Scott.

Is he ruthless enough? The same of Brayshaw: Is he ruthless enough as a president? In fact, is the North Melbourne Football Club ruthless enough — on and off the field.

The answer right now is no.

What a captain obvious article. Whilst a lot of truths are among, the topic of this article has been discussed a lot more in depth around here and covered every point in the article. Do we really need another thread on it?

He's a fourth-year coach? Nice work Robbo.

Speaks volumes doesn't it. Lazy journalism.

Last edited:
What a captain obvious article. Whilst a lot of truths are among, the topic of this article has been discussed a lot more in depth and covered every point in the article. Do we really need another thread on it?

Speaks volumes doesn't it. Lazy journalism.

Speaks volumes about the problem with doing away with sub-editors.

Yes it's been discussed a lot on big footy but what I found interesting was the comments from Brayshaw, elite? Got to be kidding himself.

Yes it's been discussed a lot on big footy but what I found interesting was the comments from Brayshaw, elite? Got to be kidding himself.

Yeah couldnt agree more. Maybe we should get rid of Brayshaw and Scott as clearly these two are in bed together.

Guys chill. We clearly saw how well the previous article helped on field performance, the club obviously got robbo to write this piece to fire the boys up

Not a Robbo fan by any stretch, but there's not a lot wrong with the article. Just heard Robbo and others in the SEN panel, including Michael Voss discuss the article. I wanted to find a reason to disagree, but in all honesty, I just couldn't.

Robbo spoke of the 1990's North Melbourne team and the ruthless nature with which they went about their footy.

I see the biggest problem is this resignation that North is only a 6th to 8th team which appears to breed complacency. I'm guilty of it myself when trying to explain North's inconsistency & capitulation to teams like Brisbane. We need to get more ruthless and force ourselves to expect to be a top four team.

I don't understand why everyone is hating on Robbo, play the ball and not the man etc.

He is just articulating (admittedly not the most eloquently) the frustrations and failings that we have been pointing out. It may be stating the obvious but the obvious needs to be said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't mind the article and just enjoyed them discussing it on SEN. It's about leadership, not just on field, but off. Forget about who wrote the article and read it for what it is......the absolute thing the majority of us have been thinking. Are we ruthless? When will we be ruthless? When do we contend?

Doesn't bother me if this gets raised every day until the season is over, it's a massive problem that needs to be addressed. Perhaps the only way to get through to the players is by reading the problems they have, in the paper. The more attention this gets, the better. Clearly whatever internal methods they are using to fix it aren't working.

He's a fourth-year coach? Nice work Robbo.
Like I said to you when i met you for the first time again the other day SW, "BS loves cuddling the players, and in my book, cuddling is over-rated. Where I come from, foul-play is only for the lion-hearted." Rooooaarrrgggghhhhhhh.

I don't understand why everyone is hating on Robbo, play the ball and not the man etc.

He is just articulating (admittedly not the most eloquently) the frustrations and failings that we have been pointing out. It may be stating the obvious but the obvious needs to be said.

Because he is a douchebag. The ball would be his article? Well it's a bucket of s**t.

I remember Schimma losing by a 100 points and NM pulling the trigger. There is no harm in a coaching change being made violently.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back