Hudu Gurusingha

Cancelled
Jul 11, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Penrith Panthers, Houston Astros
Hi All,

I've realised that I hate my line of work (OHS), and have identified that coaching is something I would be passionate about pursuing, perhaps as a career. Something I could invest my livelihood in. But where to start. I'm 31 so time isn't exactly on my side.

I have an undergrad degree in health science, which touched on sports psych, biomechanics, coaching psych, motor control and development. I have a post grad Diploma of Education which allows me to teach sport and science, but have barely taught except for some relief work.

In terms of sports I've been exposed to and have an interest in, I love tennis and everything about it. Have only been playing for 2 years, so not sure I have the technical skills to coach this yet. But something I'd be keen to develop my skills in. The mental and strategic side of the game really intrigues me.

I played footy for about 9 years - but my interest in the game has waned.

Love cricket and played it most my life, but Id need upskilling to be able to coach and point out the technicalities and stuff.

I've looked at open universities and see they offer a masters of sports coaching and a grad certificate of sports coaching. Do I look at doing study along these lines, or would I benefit more from going along the coaching pathways for individual sports (eg: Tennis Australia coaching pathway)?

Would I be better trying to get a job teaching and picking up coaching roles through schools? Trouble is, there is a massive excess of sports teachers, so Id probably be teaching science.

Thanks for your help.

The most difficult thing about coaching is that unless you are on a salary at a professional club i.e. AFL, NRL, Tennis AUS etc you need to have a full time job. Most coaches are volunteers or are not paid enough to make it a full time job.

If you are good enough then sure you may get to the top but its a long road if you haven't played at the elite level. In the AFL there is 1 coach that has never played but he is a PE teacher and has taught and coached for umpteen years.

If you are as passionate about it as you think then go to a local club and ask if you can coach some juniors and see if you enjoy it. It may be terrible for you you might hate it. I would't begin to throw all your current earnings away just to coach when you won't make ny money off it in the short term.
As for going to study, my personal opinion is you can be as book smart as you want, you can learn all the techniques and theory behind why people do things but in the end the experience is what gets you the job. I am a PE teacher and I have been coaching junior AFl now for 5 years. You learn your deficiencies quickly and you find people to help you fix them. Just my opinion.

But first things first go get some hands on experience.

Hudu, why'd you cancel your other account?
(Apologies for falsely accusing you previously, I was wrong about who you were)

Hudu, why'd you cancel your other account?
(Apologies for falsely accusing you previously, I was wrong about who you were)

Hi kfc1, no worries. I cancelled my account cos I thought I was recognised by someone at my work

Last edited:
The most difficult thing about coaching is that unless you are on a salary at a professional club i.e. AFL, NRL, Tennis AUS etc you need to have a full time job. Most coaches are volunteers or are not paid enough to make it a full time job.

If you are good enough then sure you may get to the top but its a long road if you haven't played at the elite level. In the AFL there is 1 coach that has never played but he is a PE teacher and has taught and coached for umpteen years.

If you are as passionate about it as you think then go to a local club and ask if you can coach some juniors and see if you enjoy it. It may be terrible for you you might hate it. I would't begin to throw all your current earnings away just to coach when you won't make ny money off it in the short term.
As for going to study, my personal opinion is you can be as book smart as you want, you can learn all the techniques and theory behind why people do things but in the end the experience is what gets you the job. I am a PE teacher and I have been coaching junior AFl now for 5 years. You learn your deficiencies quickly and you find people to help you fix them. Just my opinion.

But first things first go get some hands on experience.

Thanks for the great advice dyl. How are you going with PE teaching? Do you enjoy it? Do you enjoy coaching?

Im leaning more and more towards trying (again) to get a teaching job next year. Apparently there are shortages for science teachers so have already applied as a graduate and will apply at IPS schools. One thing for sure is that I have to get out of my job cos its killing me.

Even if I don't land a job as a PE teacher and have to teach science, its something that I will enjoy doing. And I can look to pick up extra curricula coaching roles for school teams and stuff.

In the meantime Im going to enquire about coaching at my tennis club. Ive kind of taken on the role of coaching my pennants team mates by pointing out things with their game, helping with strategies etc and already I love it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back