17 NRL players given SC notices

Armchair Critic

Cancelled
Feb 8, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
Seventeen past and present Cronulla players have received show cause notices over the club's 2011 supplements program, according to a news report.

News Corp is reporting that the players met with the NRL and ASADA at a meeting in Sydney on Wednesday morning, following a briefing by the players' legal representatives.

The players were reportedly handed show cause notices - signalling ASADA's intent to charge athletes with doping offences - at the meeting, and given 10 days to respond.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-...cause-notices3a-reports/5683778?section=sport

Barry_Badrinath

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2011
Bathing in Premiership Glory
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Grand Finals at the Gabba
Hopefully the NRL players don't take the cowardly option and instead respond to the show cause notices. If infraction notices are handed down to rugby players while Essendon's season is still alive there is going to be a massive shitstorm.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2005
Down the rabbit hole
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Fatebringer
Hopefully the NRL players don't take the cowardly option and actually respond to the show cause notices. If infraction notices are handed down to rugby players while Essendon's season is still alive there is going to be a massive shitstorm.
that's just stupid, frankly. They are separate cases

that's just stupid, frankly. They are separate cases

Should be, but in the court of public opinion they're linked, so if one goes and the other gets off, the excretion will come into close proximity to the rotational air conveyance device.

BoneIdle

Senior List
Jun 18, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Hopefully the NRL players don't take the cowardly option and actually respond to the show cause notices. If infraction notices are handed down to rugby players while Essendon's season is still alive there is going to be a massive shitstorm.
The Sharks are no longer the financial basket case they were when this all went down. However, the club doesn't have the resources to do what Essendon are doing. The current board is collectively stupid enough, they just can't afford it.

Jan 7, 2005
Down the rabbit hole
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Fatebringer
The Sharks are no longer the financial basket case they were when this all went down. However, the club doesn't have the resources to do what Essendon are doing. The current board is collectively stupid enough, they just can't afford it.
more pertinently, they have no grounds to challenge it in the way Essendon have

Oct 26, 2009
Gold Coast Suns
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Whomever is reigning NBA champion
interesting too that ASADA are acting now, when they've held off for quite a while. Wanting to get it done before Middleton reports? Or just that they now have all their resources freed up given they can't do much on the AFL side?

Probably the latter I guess

I would say that if ASADA were spooked from the court case they would have been smarter to wait for the outcome. They must feel confident to forge ahead.

interesting too that ASADA are acting now, when they've held off for quite a while. Wanting to get it done before Middleton reports? Or just that they now have all their resources freed up given they can't do much on the AFL side?

Given Middleton is largely about AFL/ASADA cooperation, which obviously isn't relevant to the NRL, I doubt there is any connection to the case.

As you suggest, the investigators/legal team, having finished with the AFL put their minds to dotting the i's and crossing the t's on the NRL case...looks like it took a couple of weeks.

BoneIdle

Senior List
Jun 18, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney

The cases whilst separate are very much linked. My guess is it is the former not the later and this is a tactical strike. They knew Essendon was going to come at them for about a year and people said they were doing nothing. This isn't a coincidence.

Jan 3, 2005
At Home
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
L.A. Kings, Oakland Raiders
Wait 34 Essendon players. NRL given half the media attention (I made that figure up). 17 is half of 34 (I didn't make that figure up).
tinhat.jpg

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Ricky Stuart obvious has a big hand in this - if Cronulla go down he will avoid a 3rd wooden spoon in 3 years. Just a coincidence that SC Notices drop the week of the Cronulla v Canberra wooden spoon grudge match?

And Middleton is a Melbourne supporter!

You've cracked it

Back