Mega Thread Delist/Trade/Draft Supermegaultrathread - It's Never Too Soon edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't be trading Brown.

For a long while he was our preferred choice for the likes of Buddy and this year he has also proven he can mix it with smalls. His versatility is extremely valuable to us - I don't see EMac coping with smalls, nor do I see Schoey coping well with strong talls - Brown does both & McGovern's best place in the team is still being sorted (IMO)

Nope. One of our few players who can play on the flanks and get 30+ and deliver with solid skills. Who exactly do you think is providing competition?

Well given the exercise was who do the new and incoming players replace, that would be your answer.

Masten isn't untouchable in his role, gets brushed off the play too easy and can't stick a tackle.

Some interesting thoughts in the last couple of pages - couple of things I think are relevant

1) You don't strengthen your weakness by weakening your strength. By that I mean trading a current best 22 big unless there is something seriously good underneath and simply at WC that's not the case at present. Anyway Brown isn't going to leave.
2) Petracca (if he's the target of everyone's desires) is more than likely going top 3 with WC's first pick to be around 10 (I think everyone should factor in Melb having 2 of the 1st 3 picks). Taking into account Dom Tyson and the trade last year, the only players I see at WC with the currency to pull that type of deal off are : Gaff, Shuey, Darling, McKenzie, Naitanui and possibly even McGovern and Lycett. The other quality players like Lecras, Hurn and Kennedy are unlikely to fit Melb's age requirement. Wc aren't likely to trade any of those 7 given 3 were signed this week.
So I think it unrealistic to envisage getting Petracca so this leaves 2 pathways

-- Discussing the benefits of whether trading pick 10 and a player like Masten for the chances of getting #6 ish and a swing at a Brayshaw or a Laverde or
-- Looking at the Melbourne list and working out who WC may feel is worthwhile enough to use their 1st round pick on. For instance is Jack Watts worth pick 10, is Trengove worth #10, is Toumpas worth #10 or if not would you take them for #10 and Melb's 2nd rounder (or as I suspect a pick at end 1st round as a priority pick). Dissect the Melb list knowing there would only be 3-4 off limits (so don't mention Viney or Hogan) - as I guarantee other clubs will be doing this (esp the SA clubs with 2 of the 3 mentioned)

Last edited:

You guys been on the Brisbane board? They're demanding a priority pick, say they deserve it more than everyone.

Is it just me, but I hadn't noticed we were missing Sheppard?

Hmmm, says it all.
Agreed. Needs to improve incredibly quickly over the next two years to come close to living up to his draft position and the amount of games he's been given.

Used to think he had potential, and he showed glimpses this year, but still not enough to convince me he's an afl player. Poor man's Nicoski

Agreed. Needs to improve incredibly quickly over the next two years to come close to living up to his draft position and the amount of games he's been given.

Used to think he had potential, and he showed glimpses this year, but still not enough to convince me he's an afl player. Poor man's Nicoski

Yeah exactly. Everyone is so caught up in seeing even the smallest big of improvement from him because they've lowered their standards (bit like Brown)

And even though he's shown some improvement this year on his previous ones, he is still in no way living up to the expectations of pick 7. Could have been a potential delist candidate if he didn't fire this year.

Brown will do something amazing, and then follow it up with something amazingly stupid. He handed Stanton a goal, and then if the siren hadn't gone he handed the Bombers another certain goal (end of 2nd or 3rd?). However he also saved a couple of goals with big efforts. I'm not sure where I sit with him. He's old enough that the stupid mistakes shouldn't be in his game anymore, or at least not to the extent that they are. I'm confused.

Brown will do something amazing, and then follow it up with something amazingly stupid. He handed Stanton a goal, and then if the siren hadn't gone he handed the Bombers another certain goal (end of 2nd or 3rd?). However he also saved a couple of goals with big efforts. I'm not sure where I sit with him. He's old enough that the stupid mistakes shouldn't be in his game anymore, or at least not to the extent that they are. I'm confused.

He's a poor mans Alex Rance.

Some interesting thoughts in the last couple of pages - couple of things I think are relevant

1) You don't strengthen your weakness by weakening your strength. By that I mean trading a current best 22 big unless there is something seriously good underneath and simply at WC that's not the case at present. Anyway Brown isn't going to leave.
2) Petracca (if he's the target of everyone's desires) is more than likely going top 3 with WC's first pick to be around 10 (I think everyone should factor in Melb having 2 of the 1st 3 picks). Taking into account Dom Tyson and the trade last year, the only players I see at WC with the currency to pull that type of deal off are : Gaff, Shuey, Darling, McKenzie, Naitanui and possibly even McGovern and Lycett. The other quality players like Lecras, Hurn and Kennedy are unlikely to fit Melb's age requirement. Wc aren't likely to trade any of those 7 given 3 were signed this week.
So I think it unrealistic to envisage getting Petracca so this leaves 2 pathways

-- Discussing the benefits of whether trading pick 10 and a player like Masten for the chances of getting #6 ish and a swing at a Brayshaw or a Laverde or
-- Looking at the Melbourne list and working out who WC may feel is worthwhile enough to use their 1st round pick on. For instance is Jack Watts worth pick 10, is Trengove worth #10, is Toumpas worth #10 or if not would you take them for #10 and Melb's 2nd rounder (or as I suspect a pick at end 1st round as a priority pick). Dissect the Melb list knowing there would only be 3-4 off limits (so don't mention Viney or Hogan) - as I guarantee other clubs will be doing this (esp the SA clubs with 2 of the 3 mentioned)

I'd offer pick 10 for Trengove. I think getting him out of Melbourne would go a long way to helping him, and plenty of SA lads here to show him the ropes.

I'd offer pick 10 for Trengove. I think getting him out of Melbourne would go a long way to helping him, and plenty of SA lads here to show him the ropes.

Smallish mid, plays outside, has poor disposal despite said playing outside, slow. Throw in some "named in connection with Stephen Dank/Asada" stuff and would not touch.

We've seen that players take a long time, if it can be done at all, to be de-Melbourned.

Smallish mid, plays outside, has poor disposal despite said playing outside, slow. Throw in some "named in connection with Stephen Dank/Asada" stuff and would not touch.

We've seen that players take a long time, if it can be done at all, to be de-Melbourned.

Sometimes miracles happen.

Please Lord, please do not let the Demons creep back into my mortal being....

014528-11bdd9ee-cd38-11e3-8e96-6a6704b39a47.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is 185cm "smallish"? He's an outside-in mid, capable of playing all around the ground. Given a good environment this kid could become a Cotchin type player, definitely worth a punt. A step away from the limelight and leadership BS he was put under should do him good.

How is 185cm "smallish"? He's an outside-in mid, capable of playing all around the ground. Given a good environment this kid could become a Cotchin type player, definitely worth a punt. A step away from the limelight and leadership BS he was put under should do him good.
Have you seen his build? He makes Gaff look huge.

Fun fact, he's averaging 2 clearances a game for his career, Cotchin is over 5 a game, he's not becoming Cotchin or anything like Cotchin.

I'd be open to having him on the team but if you think giving up pick 18 for Wellingham was bad, pick 10 for Trengove would be insane

You really don't like Tunbridge :). Simpson described him as someone he reckons will play a lot of games for us, a matter of weeks ago. I reckon he's safe and that they'll persist with McInnes. I'd be fine with Carter going.

As I've said before I think we might reach for Abbott given it sounds like we're keen. Otherwise switch he and Cripps (who I am keen to have on the list given his type and he seems to be considered talented). I've got no real clue with Waterman, he may slide into the third round. It's a hard situation to gauge from the outside.

Can't say I find Blakely an inviting prospect at all personally. As ER said he's 'medium' at everything.

inb4 we draft Blakely, Clem Smith and delist Tunbridge. :drunk:
Its a double delist, totally a thing :p. I hope Tunbridge can find some form and really show us what he's capable of.

Who would you play in browns spot if you trade him? I think he has played extremely well this season.
McGovern has shown plenty as a KPD, Schofield is playing well and Easy is doing it easy. Thats three KPD's with Barrass and Powell developing next year. If we can get a first for Brown and pick up an extra classy mid and a KPD later in the draft, we'll be laughing.

McGovern has shown plenty as a KPD, Schofield is playing well and Easy is doing it easy. Thats three KPD's with Barrass and Powell developing next year. If we can get a first for Brown and pick up an extra classy mid and a KPD later in the draft, we'll be laughing.

The problem is our game plan is based around playing 3 KPD. If we trade Brown and lose 1 at some stage next year (which no doubt we will) then we're stuffed

The problem is our game plan is based around playing 3 KPD. If we trade Brown and lose 1 at some stage next year (which no doubt we will) then we're stuffed
If we can get Jordan Lockyer in trade period he is 191cm . I know that's not key position height like brown 195 but he could play third tall . Same height as darling . Swans board think it will be a token pick to get him. I feel we play too tall down back and up forward and with 4 backs one will always be excess . Brown schofield and McGovern should be competing for 2 spots and one should be out . We are screaming for a quality mids yet if we had a properly balanced side we would have a KPD playing wafl who is much too good . My thoughts on brown were that he and his brother are injury prone , not that good a mark and not that good kick compared to McGovern and schofield

If we can get Jordan Lockyer in trade period he is 191cm . I know that's not key position height like brown 195 but he could play third tall . Same height as darling . Swans board think it will be a token pick to get him. I feel we play too tall down back and up forward and with 4 backs one will always be excess . Brown schofield and McGovern should be competing for 2 spots and one should be out . We are screaming for a quality mids yet if we had a properly balanced side we would have a KPD playing wafl who is much too good . My thoughts on brown were that he and his brother are injury prone , not that good a mark and not that good kick compared to McGovern and schofield
Stupidity. If one of EMac or Mgovern went down were screwed. Schofield has proven that he can't play on the real key forwards. Not to mention the fact you've just removed the option of McGovern going forward.

Also please can we stop pushing a 21 year old with no afl experience and someone the swans will give away as a serious solution to any problem other than how do we increase competition at east perth

I never understand this argument - its as though we are back in the 80's when the talls were lumbering guys like Jakovich. Brown is as quick as any at WC over 20m and Schofield has good speed and agility.

Dustin Fletcher stands 198cm - taller than any WC defender and I guarantee you every Ess coach would have selected 6 Dustin Fletchers to play down back if there were 6 available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back