Mega Thread Minnesota Timberwolves Thread - The Finch Era begins

Remove this Banner Ad

Minny were pretty much handcuffed by the fact Love wanted to go to Cleveland and insiders saying whether he was traded anywhere else that he would end up in Cleveland as a free agent come the end of the next season, no team was going to gut their team for a one year rental so the T-Wolves effectively got bent over

Minny were pretty much handcuffed by the fact Love wanted to go to Cleveland and insiders saying whether he was traded anywhere else that he would end up in Cleveland as a free agent come the end of the next season, no team was going to gut their team for a one year rental so the T-Wolves effectively got bent over

Don't think that was the case, as Woj has written in his report: "Part of the Cavaliers' motivation in making the deal for Love was a belief Love would have ended up with the rival Chicago Bulls in a trade and created a significant obstacle in the Eastern Conference, sources said. Cleveland wouldn't have had the salary-cap space to sign Love next summer and could have only obtained him through the trade with Minnesota in a deal now".

Bent over? Look at the hauls of "superstars" being traded in recent years Deron Williams netted the Jazz Derick Favors, Chris Paul traded for Eric Gordon, Carmelo Anthony was traded to the knicks for effectively Galliari and Chandler, To be able to get the number 1 draft pick from what was supposedly the best draft in years is a decent haul.

Last edited:
As an outside observer - this is clearly the best outcome for the Wolves, and a lot more than I was thinking they would get a month ago. (I don't really get why the Cavs didn't give themselves time to see how Wiggins looks, and also push you guys closer to the deadline).
Youve just got 2 number 1 draft picks in a row (admittingly - Bennett may not end up becoming much more than a quality starter, but Wiggins could be very, very good), plus a future first rounder... this is a lot better than a potential Klay Thompson deal IMO (which wasn't gonna happen anyway), and much better than waiting 6-12 months either to get reamed at the deadline, or lose him for nothing next offseason.

I actually believe there's a pretty high chance that we will be looking back on this trade in 5 years time thinking that Minnesota got the better end of the bargain.

Nonsense. Cleveland couldn't sign him when he opted out, they had to do a trade at some point.

This deal is the best we could have got, the #1 pick in one of the deepest drafts ever, a salvage project on a rookie deal and a first round pick (not sure if it is the Miami or Cleveland pick).

Now we have a roster spot issue. I gather the issue with a three way with PHI was getting a player to CLE the Cavs were happy with. The Wolves may still do a deal with Philly after Aug 23.

Assuming the deal all goes through fine, big tick for Flip early on.

Could've pulled the trigger early and taken the Boston deal or, heaven forbid, that Barnes/Lee offer from GSW.

Waited out and got as good a deal as we could've hoped for.

I still love Shved because I can remember how promising he looked early on :(

Definitely lose JJ now we've got Williams.

It'll probably happen in a three teamer, but if it doesn't to work around CBA it'll probably be a 2nd rounder for Bennett, and Thad for the expirings.

Do you think Hinkie is more interested in the Miami pick or Bennett?

I suspect the deal is going to be tricky unless it is a three way. Could be some concern that the Bennett for 2nd round pick is undervalue as a standalone deal and could be nixed by Silver.

Do you think Hinkie is more interested in the Miami pick or Bennett?

I suspect the deal is going to be tricky unless it is a three way. Could be some concern that the Bennett for 2nd round pick is undervalue as a standalone deal and could be nixed by Silver.

That deal we got for Holiday for Noel was in place had the Pelicans drafted Bennett or Oladipo. So I can't really imagine he's cooled after one year to think that a pick in the 20s would be preferable than getting a completely, minus the health issues, fresh restart on Bennett.

What's the reasoning behind the 30-day wait between signing and trading? Frustrating, haha.

It's a handbrake that in theory stops a team signing a guy to trade him for salary matching. The idea is that if you want to trade a draftee, trade him on draft day when the salary value for trade purposes is zero.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who would have that power? Wait....
CantSomeoneElseDoIt.png

I'd think there would be an announcement Monday US time. Tick, tick, tick.

Interesting to read Darren Wolfson's tweeting this week:

* No deal done on Thad Young.
* If deal is to happen aim to keep Bennett.

Can't see how we'd get Young otherwise.

Unless we can convince the 76ers that Shved, JJ and Mbah a Moute are really good players. :D

Can't see how we'd get Young otherwise.

Unless we can convince the 76ers that Shved, JJ and Mbah a Moute are really good players. :D

Well I wonder what is the asset the Sixers want - Anthony Bennett or the protected Miami pick?

Warsaw

Well I wonder what is the asset the Sixers want - Anthony Bennett or the protected Miami pick?

Warsaw

Great thread title change.

Young and Pek with Dieng and Bennett developing behind them along with Turiaf for backup isn't too bad at all.

Last edited:
Isn't Shabazz the other player being offered up?

I've only got eyes for Bennett. Hinkie should only have eyes for Bennett.

Edit: Remembered this. http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...&pid=270468641&cid=8500281#poll_questions_top

Article's written via Bob Cooney (who I'd trust).

I haven't seen any talk out of Minny that has solid fix on a combination. It's widely expected that Barea is on the way out. Darren Wolfson has a good fix on the Wolves and is quite clear they look to be keeping Bennett if the deal for Young.

I'm personally happy to deal Bennett for Young and keep the Miami pick, but it reckon the league will have an issue with splitting the trade up if we end up trading Bennett for a protected second round pick to get around the sixty day rule.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back