More to come from Moore

Remove this Banner Ad

Gotta question if using pick 9 on a tagger was worth it? We used pick 7 on Carr and the 1998 draft was nowhere as strong as the 2009 draft.

Carr was an attacking player as well as a great defensive stopper. Moore hasn't shown any of that type of offensive play yet. He as a lot of work to do to justify using pick 9 on him.

Gotta question if using pick 9 on a tagger was worth it? We used pick 7 on Carr and the 1998 draft was nowhere as strong as the 2009 draft.

Carr was an attacking player as well as a great defensive stopper. Moore hasn't shown any of that type of offensive play yet. He as a lot of work to do to justify using pick 9 on him.

I like him in monfries role. He was drafted as a strong marking big bodied HHF. He is not and never will be Josh Kennedy.

He's still 10 kgs too small.

Exactly. 88kgs is a pretty standard inside mid these days. Ollie is 94. Ling was 95, kennedy 96, Hurn 96. Watson 93, Shaun berger is 89. He just isn't that big of a body. Its a super impressive lean body, but it isn't that big and he doesn't seem to be super explosive.
HHF for me :)

He's still 10 kgs too small.

You could argue alot of our players look 10 KG's too small.

Compare our physical size and core to the Sydney, Hawthorn players. Noticeably different

Young group. Can't be helped.
Beat me to it. If we can get Gus back to full fitness, and Moorey on the HF line with Neadey in the pocket we have a pretty intense forward setup that can lock the ball in our half. Also Gus and Moore are good marks for their size so they can put pressure on the opposition mid-sized/small defenders.

Young group. Can't be helped.

We have been a young group since 2006. Every year we hear we have young bodies andare inexperienced and other sides are bigger and stronger than us.

Bad recruiting, bad fitness and medical programs and bad development means all you hear is we are a young wiith developing bodies.

I await the day when I hear for 3 or 4 years straight we are a side full of old campaigners.

Exactly. 88kgs is a pretty standard inside mid these days. Ollie is 94. Ling was 95, kennedy 96, Hurn 96. Watson 93, Shaun berger is 89. He just isn't that big of a body. Its a super impressive lean body, but it isn't that big and he doesn't seem to be super explosive.
HHF for me :)
All of those guys are about as tall as he is too. In fact Burgoyne is 2cm shorter but 1 kg heavier.

We have been a young group since 2006. Every year we hear we have young bodies andare inexperienced and other sides are bigger and stronger than us.

Bad recruiting, bad fitness and medical programs and bad development means all you hear is we are a young wiith developing bodies.

I await the day when I hear for 3 or 4 years straight we are a side full of old campaigners.
Likewise. Youth is the excuse used by unsuccessful teams, but annoyingly it's a pretty decent excuse- it's hard to escape the fact your physical and mental peak as a sportsman is generally from 26-30.

This is one of the biggest flaws in free agency- it facilitates good older players leaving young teams for a crack at a premiership with a current contender, perpetuating the ladder order of the day and allowing teams like Hawks and Geelong to hover about at the top indefinitely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Moore has been injured since day one at Port. Like his brother it seems to be a battle for him to keep his body together. Reminds me of the young Bassett brothers, although Nathan's body settled.

It looks like Burgo is doing a rebuilding job on Moore, has stripped him back to really lean muscle mass then will build him up over the next couple of seasons. Moore has talked about how Josh Kennedy is his role model so he will aim for that level of size and should be able to carry it, but it's not a given. He might well be a better player at the lighter weight.

Trying to compare us to Sydney and Hawthorn is silly, they are sides full of experienced finals players who have long established fitness programs. As Andre has noted several times, we are still catching up from our failed programs of the between Burgo years. There weren't too many complaints earlier in the year when we beat Hawthorn, Geelong and Fremantle - all full of big, strong, experienced players that we matched physically across the ground. Even Sydney who eked out a win at the SCG and even in Adelaide where we didn't play well were matched by us physically.

Similarly talk of Burgoyne, Kennedy, Watson these guys are all around 30 years old (Ling's physical development didn't come until later in his career too) of course their bodies are more physically mature than Moore's. There are plenty of good and better 188cm 90kg (and smaller) mids around as well, weight only doesn't make a quality player and it might be that Moore is better equipped to play at that weight rather than bigger. That's the genetic diversity of the AFL player pool. Would Travis Boak be better 10 kgs heavier? Unlikely.

I'm a big fan and thought he was solid towards the end of last year. His skills are good. Unfortunately is one of those fringe players at the moment and may get pushed out if we trade someone in. However, I think he will make it and, like a number of our players, if he gets his defensive side right everything else will fall into place. Look at the success of Impey, Pittard, O'Shea, Broadbent and Polec - when they play their best games offensively they all nail some tackles, take intercept marks and effect spoils - when they disappear they are the opposite. It's what Hinkley speaks about time and time again.

In a weird sliding doors scenario...

If Moore hadn't done his AC joint against St.Kilda at the Alberton game.. would Cassisi have played so many AFL games early on?

Following on, would Cassisi have gone so hard to remain in the team, in turn making him retire earlier?

What I'm saying is.. would Moore being in the first 22 made Cassisi play 'lighter' games for the Magpies allowing him to survive the whole year?

Definitely rate Moore, see him as a Ryan O'Keefe type mid/fwd.

Thing with Butch, Pittard and Moore (all of the same draft) is they lack confidence in their own bodies and haven't had the opportunity to build the experience that comes with multiple games and time. Pittard is starting to show the form that can come from regular games with solid fitness but he is probably down a yard of pace. Similarly Moore is starting to get things together but also lacks that pace he was drafted with. Butch doesn't appear fit and doesn't seem to be showing that talent we know he has. His work rate has been improving but I suspect he will be overtaken in the line for next forward. What a lamentable draft for Port
Re the lack of pace being attributed to Moore, I am not so sure that he is slow. I have watched him closely and to me he does not lack any zip for a guy of his stature. I rate Moorey highly and see his only problem as not getting continuity in game s played. I think over time he will not dissappoint us.

Thing with Butch, Pittard and Moore (all of the same draft) is they lack confidence in their own bodies and haven't had the opportunity to build the experience that comes with multiple games and time. Pittard is starting to show the form that can come from regular games with solid fitness but he is probably down a yard of pace. Similarly Moore is starting to get things together but also lacks that pace he was drafted with. Butch doesn't appear fit and doesn't seem to be showing that talent we know he has. His work rate has been improving but I suspect he will be overtaken in the line for next forward. What a lamentable draft for Port
Agree
I wonder if Hamish, now he has taken a hit and "lived" knows how much harder he can go in now?

Ditto Neade, knowing he hit hard and didn't die.

#moreconfidence

What a lamentable post. Moore has the potential and will deliver. Will be elite in due course. We need to string games into him (feel bad for Young though). Jasper is proving his worth, just starting out. Butcher, well I am hoping.....

He is so vanilla. Nothing stands out.

Young is a far better player and offers more flexibility.

Moore should become the HFF we drafted him as, trying to turn him in to a big bodied midfield wannabe Josh Kennedy is about as good as telling Westhoff to stack on 20kg and play from the goal square like Cloke. Play him to his natural strength

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk

What a lamentable post. Moore has the potential and will deliver. Will be elite in due course. We need to string games into him (feel bad for Young though). Jasper is proving his worth, just starting out. Butcher, well I am hoping.....

See my past posts re Moore, I'm a fan and believe sustained time at the top will ensure he comes good. Likewise, see what I have said re Pittard.

The point I was making is the three first round draft picks have played 125 collectively of a potential 330. Even if you take development years out that isn't a lot of games for three first round selections. Nat Fyfe has played 91 of a potential 110, Jake Carlisle 68/110. There were a number of options from that draft and I suspect we picked the best available at the time it's just our development department lacked the funds to get the best out of them until now. One can't help but look back at what could have been.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back