Summer Should Melbourne Bid For The 2028 Games

Should Melbourne Bid For The 2028 Games

• Yes

Votes: 79 62.2%
  • No

Votes: 48 37.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd like to see Perth bid for the 2032. By then, Elizabeth Quay will be complete, the Perth City Link, the new stadium, the new Airport, airport rail and possibly light rail. Much of the stadia will be in place, an athletes village could be set up at Belmont Park or around Claisebrook/McIver stations to increase urban infill, Beatty Park could be finally covered and the grandstand finished

I'd like to see Perth bid for the 2032. By then, Elizabeth Quay will be complete, the Perth City Link, the new stadium, the new Airport, airport rail and possibly light rail. Much of the stadia will be in place, an athletes village could be set up at Belmont Park or around Claisebrook/McIver stations to increase urban infill, Beatty Park could be finally covered and the grandstand finished

Yeah Perth could host it but I think Melbourne would be in the lead at this stage out of Australian cities. I don't get the talk about Brisbane it just does not make sense to me

Yeah Perth could host it but I think Melbourne would be in the lead at this stage out of Australian cities. I don't get the talk about Brisbane it just does not make sense to me
Brisbane has no place and no money to host the games. the venues and facilities required would have to all be built from scratch and they have no use after wards.

Melbourne has the majority of the venues built and established already. plenty of room to build new facilities around the cbd and continuously wins awards for being best and most livable city, it would only deserve the games

AOC president and IOC vice president John Coates just after London said Brisbane should be next Oz host and not before 2032.

The main reason was the weather. He said the latest the IOC would now accept an Olymlics starting is mid September - which is when Sydney started. He reckons Sydney isnt a big enough world city to get a 2nd Olymics in such a short period which means Brisbane is the only choice.

So Melbourne wont get AOC support unless Coates backs it. He will probaly be around for 5 years - maybe as much as 10. Given a 2028 bid would be voted on in September 2021 so if Coates is still firmly in the presidency in 2019 then it will be a case of waiting at least 4 more years for Melbourne.

Advanced global warming may assist Melbourne's chances.

Melbourne should just do the opposite to what Qatar 2022 said they would. etc build a big heater at all stadiums. they dont have to deliver it, just say it. that is a weak excuse why Melbourne cant host it i feel. its not like it snows. would be similar to Glasgow comm games.

would they build a new stadium for Brisbane. can the Gabba be extended and host athletics? and by 2030's u reckon Perth will be bigger than Brisbane on current rates. i think the problem with any Perth bid is its isolation. its silly that the AOC want it in a different city than Melbourne or Sydney. The rest are not really big enough. keep it cheap and easy for the rest of Australia and host it in one of the big 2.

u think 2024 and '28 will go to Europe and the US. which means '32 would be a more realistic year to get an Olympics, with the main competition being China or an African bid.

There was nobody else who bid for 2014 Comm Games so cold summer Glasgow weather had no competition.

There usually are 10 starting bids for summer Olympics these days. The IOC technical evaluation comitteee will quickly knock out a cold climate August or September city.

If the IOC was prepared to go November then Melbourne would be a big show.

AOC president and IOC vice president John Coates just after London said Brisbane should be next Oz host and not before 2032.

The main reason was the weather. He said the latest the IOC would now accept an Olymlics starting is mid September - which is when Sydney started. He reckons Sydney isnt a big enough world city to get a 2nd Olymics in such a short period which means Brisbane is the only choice.

So Melbourne wont get AOC support unless Coates backs it. He will probaly be around for 5 years - maybe as much as 10. Given a 2028 bid would be voted on in September 2021 so if Coates is still firmly in the presidency in 2019 then it will be a case of waiting at least 4 more years for Melbourne.

Advanced global warming may assist Melbourne's chances.
Coats will be gone by then, all southern hemisphere olympics are held in september. Brisbane will never host the olympics they do not have the infurstructre and the spend would be to high for it to happen.

Coates is 64. If he is a typical Olympic official he will hold power until he is 80 so the likelihood is he will be around in 2019 - 2020 when a bid for 2028 has to be formulated.

I dont think you know what the southern hemisphere is. There have been only 2 Olympics in the southern hemisphere - Melbourne November/December 1956 + Sydney September 2000. Rio will be the third in August 2016.

Sydney only had the SFS and Darling Harbour completed when they submitted their bid in September 1993. The swimming centre had been committed to being built irrespective on winning the bid and construction had only just commenced.

Brisbane would have no problem using existing infrastructue - upgrades as well as building a new main 70,000 seat stadium and other facilities. Combined with the GC they piss in the minimum accomodation requirements.

If the Qld government wants to fund it they probably have to find $5bil to $8bil today $$$. The village would be built and financed by the private sector to sell straight after the games.

Its very doable. My preference would be Melbourne but Coates wouldnt have said Brisbane without knowing what he was talking about. He was on the committee overseeing London deliverying the Games and is on the committee overseeing Rio.

climate is 40% of a one of the IOC 11 categorizes. Melbourne would have a problem with cold and rain. Sydney has a problem with rain.(the IOC had a slight go at Prague for having 10 rainy days, Melbourne has 14 in September) i think Melbourne can overcome it.

It has always been Brisbane as the next host in terms of the AOC . if they honestly think Brisbane has the best shot, then you cant doubt them. i just hope it isnt because they "deserve" it next as the next biggest Australian City. it should go to the best city on all categories, not just climate.

climate is 40% of a one of the IOC 11 categorizes. Melbourne would have a problem with cold and rain. Sydney has a problem with rain.(the IOC had a slight go at Prague for having 10 rainy days, Melbourne has 14 in September) i think Melbourne can overcome it.

It has always been Brisbane as the next host in terms of the AOC . if they honestly think Brisbane has the best shot, then you cant doubt them. i just hope it isnt because they "deserve" it next as the next biggest Australian City. it should go to the best city on all categories, not just climate.
Why I think Melbourne is more likely then Brisbane is these things need the backing from the federal government and they would have a better return on investment if it was in Melbourne as a lot of the infrastructure is already here

This year was a pretty hot September and I feel like it's been trending that wasn't for quite some time now. Most of the Olympic competitors come from far colder areas than here and I reckon London around August would be similar to Melbourne September.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why I think Melbourne is more likely then Brisbane is these things need the backing from the federal government and they would have a better return on investment if it was in Melbourne as a lot of the infrastructure is already here
Not true if a financing sense. It is the state government in Australia's case, and in northern hemisphere countries where cities have a larger tax base than in Australia, it is the cities and state/provincial government governments that sign the contracts with the IOC and bare the financial responsibilities. Yes the feds give legal, security and logistics backing but that is to any city that would make a bid. They are a minor player in the financing of a games.

The Commonwealth government gave the NSW government a $150m contribution for the Olympics to build infrastructure and gave the other $97m for the running of events for the 2 games. There was a large, $20m contribution, from the feds to help subsidise 350,000 school kids from around Oz to get to the Paralympics which included travel, accommodation and ticket subsidies. I don't have the Auditor General's 2002 report handy but this document by ORCA in March 2002 is basically what the Auditor General signed off on. From page 12 of the report

Edit here is the link to the 2002 NSW Auditor General's Report into cost of Olympics and Paralympics
https://www.clearinghouseforsport.g.../Cost_of_the_Olympic_and_Paralympic_Games.pdf

THE SYDNEY 2000 OLYMPIC AND PARALYMPIC GAMES A REPORT ON THE FINANCIAL CONTRIBUTION BY THE NEW SOUTH WALES GOVERNMENT TO THE SYDNEY 2000 GAMES 31 March 2002 - by Sydney Olympic Co-Ordination Authority (ORCA)

upload_2016-7-25_10-7-8.png

Last edited:
Not true if a financing sense. It is the state government in Australia's case, and in northern hemisphere countries where cities have a larger tax base than in Australia, it is the cities and state/provincial government governments that sign the contracts with the IOC and bare the financial responsibilities. Yes the feds give legal, security and logistics backing but that is to any city that would make a bid. They are a minor player in the financing of a games.

The Commonwealth government gave the NSW government a $150m contribution for the Olympics to build infrastructure and gave the other $97m for the running of events for the 2 games. There was a large, $20m contribution, from the feds to help subsidise 350,000 school kids from around Oz to get to the Paralympics which included travel, accommodation and ticket subsidies. I don't have the Auditor General's 2002 report handy but this document by ORCA in March 2002 is basically what the Auditor General signed off on. From page 12 of the report

Edit here is the link to the 2002 NSW Auditor General's Report into cost of Olympics and Paralympics
https://www.clearinghouseforsport.g.../Cost_of_the_Olympic_and_Paralympic_Games.pdf

THE SYDNEY 2000 OLYMPIC AND PARALYMPIC GAMES A REPORT ON THE FINANCIAL CONTRIBUTION BY THE NEW SOUTH WALES GOVERNMENT TO THE SYDNEY 2000 GAMES 31 March 2002 - by Sydney Olympic Co-Ordination Authority (ORCA)

View attachment 269281

In practice I doubt the IOC would give the Olympics to an Australian city if the Australian Government was explicitly against it.

In practice I doubt the IOC would give the Olympics to an Australian city if the Australian Government was explicitly against it.
Which Australia PM would lead a government who says we don't want the Olympics to come to Oz??. They might not fund it but they aren't stupid enough to stop a bid from a state government.

Wasn't the rowing in Ballarat in 56?
Yep Lake Wendouree held the 1956 Olympics rowing events and canoeing events and many national rowing championships. I always hear Ballarat boys ABC sports broadcaster Peter Walsh and ex marathon champ Steve Moneghetti talk about the lake, rowing, the running on the track around it etc.

But as the Lake started becoming subject to drought and low levels after the drought of the early 1980's, the Victorian Rowing Federation ( think they are Rowing Victoria now) started looking at alternatives and has settled on Nagambie Lakes up in the Goulburn Valley on the Goulburn River near the Goulburn Weir. I think there has been 4 maybe 5 national championships there after Lake Barrington in Tassie hosted the world championships in 1990.

I met former ABC sports broadcaster Neville Oliver in Barbados at the Test cricket in 1991 - we stayed at the same hotel. Neville was the ABC's rowing expert and being from Tasmania he was always going to be the host broadcaster of the World Rowing Championships. He told me about the World Champinships held 6 months earlier, the history of Lake Wendouree, actually a lot about rowing in Oz over a few rum and cokes, and how the Vic Rowing Federation were worried about low water levels and had started looking for a new home for major events. Once Sydney won the Olympics Vic Rowing made sure they got a new home because you had world class facility at Lake Barrington, Sydney were going to build one for 2000 and West Lakes in Adelaide is an excellent set up and is close to the city. I dont know anything about the WA and Qld courses. So if Melbourne were to host another Olympics it probably would be held at Nagambie Lakes which is about 130kms from Melbourne, unless there is an area within 50kms from the CBD that has enough free land so you can build a 2km rowing course, but with run off areas you need a space about 3kms long.

Back