AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
"And I always find, yeah, I always find somethin' wrong
You been puttin' up with' my s**t just way too long
I'm so gifted at findin' what I don't like the most
So I think it's time for us to have a toast"

So we beat Hawthorn at home without Roughy or Rioli. It was a great win, but lets not get too excited here. 3 weeks ago we were beaten 33 to 14 scoring shots; 17 goals to 9 by the team at the bottom of the ladder. Carlton probably deserved the win against us, as they probably did against Geelong.

So lets have a look at the toasts going around. I suppose it is nice to see players play decent games, but we need consistency and frankly I see some of the players needing to do more. They float in and out of contests and need to do more to earn a consistent spot.

Sutcliffe was a worthy toast. The others were serviceable, but just holding their spot IMO. Great win, but lets not go silly as it was a home match.

We were missing McPharlin and Ballas, probably about the same. Walters first game back as well.
Don't think we're getting too carried away, we respect their ability and in our current form a win wasn't going to be a sure thing.
But we got the win and deserved it. They could have blown us away at the start but we kept fighting back as well.
We pantsed them in the second half as well. They will be better back in Melbourne, but I'm not going over the top but I recognize a good win when I see one.
Funny how we struggled to get up against a team that are last and we do not rate, then play a team that has been in good form but sit lowly on the ladder, then we play some good quarters against two of the three best sides.

Sides that are in the finals, especially those that are comprised of the top 4, are sides you rate and you play against. I know Saints was a poor loss, but I think we've gotten a bit of our mojo back. I see where you are coming from, we shouldn't go silly and we should try to maintain our current mentality for the rest of the season. Improve of it if we can of course, but I hope the side realize after that St Kilda wake up call, don't ever take the foot off the pedal.

Yo Frigate, I’m really happy for you, I'mma let you finish but Del Shannon had one of the best Runaway songs of all time…of all time!

Hawks scored 4 goals 7 in the 1st and Clarkson kept saying in the presser normally for them that would of have been 7 goals 4 and game over.
BUT I have watched the replay twice and those 7 behinds were by my judge 4 or 5 rushed from congestion and only two definite misses. Plus of course two of the goals were from 50m penalties. Second quarter and third quarter we missed quite a few as well and I think a few more than they did.

So given we also had Ballas and Macca out, Walters first game back, Taberner first game back in the team I think we at least showed our potential and think we manage that level again.

Downside: Doing the same on the MCG which is bigger will be harder and Fyfe and Mundy had massive influence on the game which could be hard to repeat but we do have a gameplan which is more effective against them now.

Hawks scored 4 goals 7 in the 1st and Clarkson kept saying in the presser normally for them that would of have been 7 goals 4 and game over.
BUT I have watched the replay twice and those 7 behinds were by my judge 4 or 5 rushed from congestion and only two definite misses.

In an overall sense this is not surprising. I'm not sure what the overall accuracy of the opposition is when playing us but I suspect it isn't very accurate. We force teams wide when they can get a mark i50 or to have shots under pressure or from a long way out- if we don't give teams easy chances and put them in positions where they are more likely to miss you will see teams like hawthorn score 4.7 rather than 7.4. It's how we are able to weather the storm when under sustained attack like the 1st qtr and the 1st half of last year qualifying final. It's also one of those things about the saints game that just seems a bit to odd and unusual...

I think after a good win we can get in the zone of these "toast" threads in which players "finally play well". I think if the result is turned around then a lot of these players did not do so well. Examples are this. At quarter time, I think Pearce is up to his usual self - cannot kick a goal, cannot hit a pass without trying the impossible. He comes out and kicks the opener in under a minute. (I am a fan of D.Pearce and think he a walk up starter).

At half time I thought Tabs should be subbed out for Duffy. Pearce kicks the ball to his advantage, he acts like a true forward and creates an easy mark and converts. Then I do not see this again, but he "contests". Forwards with potential always "contest".

Anyway, as I mentioned at the beginning of the year : saying Sylvia is best 22 is rubbish. He is on the list, he earns a place in a GF competing team. And when players (especially forwards) play well in a good win, it does not mean anything other than they were involved in a great win - unless they did the unbelievable. No such player did that. Apart from Walters, who seemed to have the gift, He seems to fluke it, but he does it all the time. He did miss a kick at goal but I will not hold it against him.

So I can see all the toasts this week, becoming anti-toasts in time to come. Is there a rule that if you toast a player you are committed to support them, like the buddy system. Or can you jump off any week? Or can you have lasting Mundy Memories?

"And I always find, yeah, I always find somethin' wrong
You been puttin' up with' my s**t just way too long
I'm so gifted at findin' what I don't like the most
So I think it's time for us to have a toast"

So we beat Hawthorn at home without Roughy or Rioli. It was a great win, but lets not get too excited here. 3 weeks ago we were beaten 33 to 14 scoring shots; 17 goals to 9 by the team at the bottom of the ladder. Carlton probably deserved the win against us, as they probably did against Geelong.

So lets have a look at the toasts going around. I suppose it is nice to see players play decent games, but we need consistency and frankly I see some of the players needing to do more. They float in and out of contests and need to do more to earn a consistent spot.

Sutcliffe was a worthy toast. The others were serviceable, but just holding their spot IMO. Great win, but lets not go silly as it was a home match.
I can not disagree more. For much of our 20 years being a freo member has been painful. I'm old so I was around when we started ( quay club member ). I have sat In rain watching average teams killing us. Put up with egirl w***ers trash talking. Us drafting crap players. Don't get me started on crap media.
I love freo no matter what.
Now for the first time we are really good. We should expect to win every game we watch because we have a good team that is well coached.
So let's go silly. Let's enjoy that we are a top team. So go silly and enjoy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back