FTA-TV Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

Disagree. I'm only basing this on the two being direct opponents and this player never playing against Collingwood again in his career, but I would suggest Damian Bourke would be the most likely, by a fair margin.
Wow, well spotted. I didn't even bother to check him cos he didn't retire until 1995, but you're right, he managed to avoid Collingwood for the rest of his career. If we exclude the two teams Damian played for after that game, Geelong and Brisbane, as well as Fremantle who were not scheduled to play Brisbane until after Bourke's last game, here are his opponents after the Monkhorst incident:

5 - Hawthorn
3 - Carlton, Melbourne, Richmond
2 - Adelaide, Essendon, Fitzroy, Footscray, North Melb, St Kilda, West Coast
1 - Sydney
0 - Collingwood

Shouldn't be too hard to confirm from the video: https://www.sportsdelivered.com/dvd/1991-round-24-geelong-def-collingwood/2765.html

Last edited:
Really enjoyed the Monkhorst interview. Thought they could have spoken a little more about his abilities/achievements as a player (two-time Victorian representative, three times top 3 in the Collingwood B&F, 5th in the 1994 Brownlow Medal count), but it was a good discussion nonetheless.

It's not a worry at all. I personally love all the stuff from before 1990 but some people have better things to do than research things that happened 25+ years ago.

Well the internet has made you lazy - And you have it at your fingertips - I remember spending countless hours at the Melbourne Library reading old newspapers to find out more about the Essendon Football Club and the VFL.

Well the internet has made you lazy - And you have it at your fingertips - I remember spending countless hours at the Melbourne Library reading old newspapers to find out more about the Essendon Football Club and the VFL.
I'm not lazy, I've done exactly what you've done. However, not everyone has the time or interest to do that.

the monkey interview was IMO the most enjoyable. softly spoken big man.

i watched his facial expressions throughout the 30 mins (including ad breaks). it screamed genuineness, sincerity and honestly. there was no spin, no sense of protecting mates, no i want to be mates with everyone, no he's a great bloke...spoke from the heart. no clinches most importantly, which is a staple of todays players.

the injury sustained at geelong sounded horrific, palate and jaw pushed down his throat. to his credit he didn't want to name the offender.

thought there would be more on the long incident. again credit to him for talking about it. i got a sense that he was ashamed of it, and loved how he said it was time football world changed in relation to the indigenous players. i wonder if the two are on speaking terms now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

thought there would be more on the long incident. again credit to him for talking about it. i got a sense that he was ashamed of it, and loved how he said it was time football world changed in relation to the indigenous players. i wonder if the two are on speaking terms now.
I also liked how he explained why he disliked being called a racist. That to be a racist you need to genuinely belive those things, and that his was just a mistake in the heat of the moment.

I also liked how he explained why he disliked being called a racist. That to be a racist you need to genuinely belive those things, and that his was just a mistake in the heat of the moment.

yes. i think if the incident happened again he wouldnt say anything that could be construed even in the heat of the battle as racist.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back