2014 Trade/FA Discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Meh, our dynamic ruckman can from the same club. I'd be very happy with Toumpas. Looked very good as a junior and just the kind of classy, outside finisher our list needs.
As did our former clearance wiz and my former favourite Jesus impersonator. But you can't deny the club's ability to turn talented youngsters into AFL footballers is concerning

As did our former clearance wiz and my former favourite Jesus impersonator. But you can't deny the club's ability to turn talented youngsters into AFL footballers is concerning

Oh I agree they've destroyed far too many youngsters. I just think if they get in early enough any club with a half competent development program can still salvage their career before the become demonized beyond repair.

Might be a bit high, even though he's a top two pick. If I remember correctly his injury is the same Mitch Clark had issues overcoming...

Yeah but I think Trengove is basically James Aish with inside ability and leadership. Hopefully the foot won't be a issue.

Just on Mitch Clark, many people manage their mental illness each and everyday in the work force. If Mitch is keen to get back to work then a WA club would be the only option you would think. You would also think that it might come through the Rookie List as well.

On Toumpas, I would prefer us to go after Jack Watts with a second rd pick. It is pretty clear that Watts has some very special attributes being his use of the footy and decision making. The bloke isn't fit enough and obviously does not train hard enough. Being out of the Melbourne limelight would suit him as well. Worth the risk.

On psychology degrees, it is the new Bachelor of Arts. I have been fortunate enough to work with a number of people with psych degrees over the past decade. They are an interesting lot, you either get the nicest most caring people or someone who thinks they understand and know everything about everyone and develop a god like complex. Normally those psychs have a few issues. I wonder what a psych would say to a person who obviously spends the majority of his existence on an internet forum?

We
Toumpas is an interesting one. Highly rated junior, who during his draft year I really wanted. But Melbourne has a distinct history of tainting every single player they touch. Watts, Sylvia and Lucas Cook have been completely ruined while Trengove, Scully, Grimes, Tapscott and Blease are batting well below they should be. You simply can't pick that many duds. It's almost as if they drink from a poisoned chalice which instantly cripples you from reaching your full potential. For mine, it comes down to their player development.
As high as Toumpas' ceiling is, I wouldn't be risking our first rounder on him knowing how poorly Melbourne's previous first round draftees have developed in the past
we do have a decent record of rehabilitating former Demons.

Wouldn't be upset if we went for all of them. Although by the look of things we don't have much to trade with unless we trade down for GC two picks then trade one for one of those players.

This guys is nominating for the draft again.
4644a.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would anyone actually be interested?
Richmond will probably pick him up.
I would have thought that Melbourne would be more likely. Gives them an upgrade on some of their mature age recruits they've drafted the last year or two

I posted on here a couple of months ago saying we should chase Toumpas and I was shut down so fast by a couple of people on here. I feel the SA link with Mayes & Aish is handy and so is the fact that he is a lions supporter.

I posted on here a couple of months ago saying we should chase Toumpas and I was shut down so fast by a couple of people on here. I feel the SA link with Mayes & Aish is handy and so is the fact that he is a lions supporter.

I'd be guessing the shut down was because a club trading a high draft pick without being forced to do so is basically unheard of, potentially until now.

Be
I'd be guessing the shut down was because a club trading a high draft pick without being forced to do so is basically unheard of, potentially until now.
Besides speculation on here, has there actually been any word about Melbourne potentially offloading him? The only thing I have heard Roos say is that he wants more mature age players and we don't have the quality (that we are willing to give up) to get a player like Toumpas. While I am also interested in him, I don't see it being very likely unless I have missed something quite significant.

*cough* Dom Tyson *cough*

GWS noob...

*cough* Dom Tyson *cough*

GWS noob...

*cough* "Basically".

Did think of him, didn't want to write an essay with caveats about how an exception exists if you have a load of talent and want another top pick. Melbourne is not in the former scenario and doubt any of the guys mentioned will get the latter.

Can see Melb chasing Petracca with pick 2 and trading other picks for established or at least slightly progressed youngsters like Tyson again.

I think they should chase 2 or 3 senior players by FA. Club needs leadership, culture and a standard set for the players that they can demand be met.

Be
Besides speculation on here, has there actually been any word about Melbourne potentially offloading him? The only thing I have heard Roos say is that he wants more mature age players and we don't have the quality (that we are willing to give up) to get a player like Toumpas. While I am also interested in him, I don't see it being very likely unless I have missed something quite significant.

http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/3aw-sport-blog/melbournes-plan-for-regeneration/20140820-3e0te.html

I'd happily trade for Toumpas, just not pick four/five. I understand he went pick four a couple years ago but he just hasn't shown enough at AFL level to justify a trade for it. Considering he's still under contract next year a hypothetical trade of GC's two first rounders, sending one to Melbourne would be an ideal outcome for mine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back