I am Jason Macartney – what do I do after R23?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Therefore we require at least 6 (Cordy, Foster, Jaksch, Frost, Hoskin-Elliott, Jong) and possibly 8 (O’Rourke and Redpath) senior spots to become available.

That’s two – need 4-6 more

Goodes, Fuller, Pearce and Young are my top 4.

Fuller is contracted for 2015 (as is Prudden) and won't be delisted, we just put him in for surgery ahead of next preseason.

Everyone attempting this should make sure their numbers stack up by listing ins & outs like for match committee. This is mine:

Out: Gia, Williams, Goodes, Howard, Pearce, Higgins
In: Jong, Austin, 5, 23, 24, 41

Yours looks something like this:

Out: Gia, Williams, Goodes, Howard, Pearce, Higgins, Grant
In: Cordy, Foster, Jaksch, Hoskin-Elliott, Frost, Jong, Redpath

I think the fact Jones hasn't re-signed yet (well from what I'm hearing in this thread anyway..) is a lot more troubling than you'd first realise. If he decides on trying his hand elsewhere we all of a sudden become extremely desperate to find a KPF*. Or we just rely on Campbell being that stopgap solution - a bit like the way Sydney treated Mike Pyke in 2013.

Anyway, I did some analysis and I came up with these initial ins/outs.

Outs: Gia, Williams, Pearce (re-rookied), Goodes (assuming that he isn't contracted next year), Howard, Higgins
Ins: Redpath, Jong, 5, 23, 24, 42, 59 (passed at this stage)

Assuming we nominate Foster as well as Cordy for father-sons then it begins to look like we can't find room to upgrade one of the rookies. Assuming we can squeeze both then our in's look like this;

In: Redpath, Jong, Cordy, Foster, 5, 23, 24 (which we'd have to find someone else to delist to use at this stage, Young is probably the front runner but I still think he can play a role - Tutt a real roughy here too)

People are saying Carlton are at least slightly interested in Redpath but I'd argue they'd really go after Jones, especially as they lose a like for like in Waite and because talls attract more currency I wouldn't think a 2nd rounder is out of the realms. Let's not be optimistic though and assume it is;

Out: Jones
In: Pick 43 (for those that would like Lucas [lol, why?] we'd probably throw in a Young or someone like that as steak knives)

Now, especially with Jones gone - we need a KPF and we have 2 highish 2nd rounders and a 3rd rounder to play with. Apparently O'Rourke is highest on our list but what would GWS want for him? Difficult question to answer but I'm going to go with what I think he's worth - a 2nd rounder which effectively makes the above trade;

Out: Jones, Pick 24
In: O'Rourke, Pick 43

We also need some more outside run - Hoskin-Elliot would be perfect but we'd have to give up pick 5 at a minimum for him and I can't see him leaving. So we need to look elsewhere. For me that elsewhere is Billie Smedts. I think a second rounder is overs so it'd probably look like this.

In: Smedts
Out: Pick 43

Here's where it gets fun though - I don't think O'Rourke is our answer, but instead another Geelong bloke, by the name of Josh Walker. Again, like the Jones case he could attract a second rounder but his true value is probably a 3rd rounder, a problem because we've already used it on Smedts. But I think we could get the deal done like this;

In: Smedts, Walker, Pick 35
Out: Pick 24, Pick 43

.. except we'd have to delist yet another bloke in order to use pick 35. Hmm, might need to think about this more when it isn't 5am.

One other area that we might need coverage for is KPD but I don't necessarily agree. I think a combination of Roughead, Roberts and Morris/Talia is enough - although it does leave us short for coverage after 2015... we can probably worry about that then.

Anyway, onto the draft - and let's assume that we only have 2 live picks:

Pick 5 - Best tall forward available which I think will be Sam Durdin (unless we decide to get our KPD here, I really like the sound of Marchbank or Lever)
Pick 23 - Best outside running player (not necessarily an outside mid but ideally would be) - Clem Smith maybe? (Unless we took Marchbark or lord behold Petracca slips to pick 5 somehow, in which case KPF - I'll back Dan in and say McKenzie)

*well, according to BF anyway - with the consistency that we play Crameri/Stinger out of the square instead of KPF would suggest otherwise but it could be because of the cattle we have.

I don't get your Lucas love at all to be honest. Has showed virtually nothing in 5 years in the AFL. His age profile is perfect but you still have to be at least half decent for this to actually mean anything.

Grant hasn't exactly dominated but he's shown a lot more than what Lucas has. I still think Grant has a lot to offer us.
This 100%

Few of you know but I am actually Jason McCartney ;-)

After round 23 Im going to...

- Sit Goodsey and Greenwood down and thank them for our services - Goodsey will be a good bloke and be there to help a disappointed greenwood.
- Put together a sales pitch for Christian Howard - Find all his greatest highlights and somehow convince another club to take him
- Put a footnote in the sales picth that pick 5 is on the table for the right key position player. (those listed as KPP in draft are only 191-193cm after Wright (ruckman) and McCardin go to other clubs.
- Sit Pearcey down and let him know 2015 will be a very important year for him
- Duck off to Shauns house and help him pack his bags to Carlton, wish him all the best as he is a good bloke but things just didnt work out
- Sit Gia down and have a beer with him and ask him just where he is going to fit into our coaching structure
- The next night get pissed having a few drinks with Williams and the boys - then probably help big Tom into a waiting ambulance after he pops a shoulder downing a shot
- Have a chat to young Xavier [edit] Zaine Cordy and let him know we are going to have to use our second rounder on him as other club scouts have informed me he will be nominated and is good enough in a very even draft to be selected inside the first two rounds.
- Have a chat to young Foster and tell him that if he is still around we will be taking him as a rookie
- Come the time of the draft combine speak to anyone 194cm+ and see if they have potential.

Last edited:

After round 23 Im going to...

- Have a chat to young Xavier Cordy and let him know we are going to have to use our second rounder on him as other club scouts have informed me he will be nominated and is good enough in a very even draft to be selected inside the first two rounds.
- Have a chat to young Foster and tell him that if he is still around we will be taking him as a rookie
- Come the time of the draft combine speak to anyone 194cm+ and see if they have potential.

You mean Zaine?

Using a 2nd round pick on Zaine wouldn't be a great result. I think it's still pretty unlikely one of the 5-6 teams before us in the 2nd round nominate him with that pick, late 2nd round nom / early 3rd round I still think it will be, so we should be able to snag him with our 3rd selection.

Having more thoughts on the topic I think we do need to take a few risks to bring more KPP's into the list.

look at drafting one of the top tier KPP's with our pick 5.

Trade the following either directly or for draft picks 2nd or 3rd round, to trade for 2 second tier KPP's:
Higgins
Grant
Jones

They may become good players with other clubs, so be it, highly unlikely they ever will with us.

Delist/retire
Williams
Goodes
Gia
Howard
Pearce

Take Cordy and Foster F/s 2 more potential KPP's

That is 5 Kpps for the loss of '2' on the list.

That leaves a minimum of 3 live picks to either upgrade rookies or draft the best available, possibly 1 or 2 more if we trade either Higgens, Grant or Jones for example for 2 picks say 2nd and 4th round

Other players to look at trading as they may have some value, but most likely will be delisted in the next year or so are:
Tutt
Stephens
Dickson
Young
Prudden
Fuller

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we as much as we love his courage, we will never be a great side while Picken is in the side, turns it over as much as Boyd and i cringe when ever he has ball in hand, same goes for Austin. Once Talia and Roberts come through next year Austin SHOULD be gone.

- Have a chat to young Xavier [edit] Zaine Cordy and let him know we are going to have to use our second rounder on him as other club scouts have informed me he will be nominated and is good enough in a very even draft to be selected inside the first two rounds.

Would you really risk a draft selection on another Cordy. Bloody hell, we wasted out first selection on his brother in 2008 ..... he's been an absolute sensation for us in his first SIX years!

Would you really risk a draft selection on another Cordy. Bloody hell, we wasted out first selection on his brother in 2008 ..... he's been an absolute sensation for us in his first SIX years!
So, because Troy Selwood didn't have that great a career, nobody should have drafted Joel Selwood? o_O

So, because Troy Selwood didn't have that great a career, nobody should have drafted Joel Selwood? o_O

Exactly, names mean zilch. Judge every player as an individual, and not by what someone else has done.

Should the Bombers have ignored Joe Daniher because Darcy bombed out with injuries after a couple of years?

If you blokes think that Zaine Cordy will be as good as Joe Daniher and Joel Selwood ....... I am happy to take on your recommendation!

Nobody's suggesting that :drunk:

We're saying you can't write off a player because his brother wasn't/isn't any good. Darcy Daniher was an injury-riddled dud, and his brother could be the best forward in the competition in 4 or 5 years. Troy Selwood played like a moron and his brother is one of the most intelligent footballers in the competition.

Nobody's saying he has to be the star, but he'll come relatively cheap and Ayce's fortunes will have no bearing on his career. :)

If you blokes think that Zaine Cordy will be as good as Joe Daniher and Joel Selwood ....... I am happy to take on your recommendation!

That wasn't any of our points. Our points were simply that you shouldn't write off a player, or even talk up a player, based on the fact of what someone else from their family did or did not do. That is almost the most stupid way to assess someone ever. Just because Ayce may not have done much, does not mean Zaine will not do anything at all or cannot offer us anything. And besides, he will be a around three or four pick. All players picked around the same time will offer around the same as he does. You make it sound like we want to use a high pick on him. All players picked late are more risk/reward type speculative picks. Most don't end up doing much, and time to time you find a gem out of luck more than anything. Plus he does give us depth in a position of need

You could even go on about the two older Cloke brothers.

You could even go on about the two older Cloke brothers.
There are dozens of examples, I just went with the first one that came to mind. Daniher's also been pointed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back