2014 Formula One World Championship - Round Twelve - Belgian Grand Prix Spa-Francorchamps (22 - 24 A

After the customary F1 summer break, the twelth GP of the year takes us to Spa for the Belgian Grand Prix.

Circuit Name: Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps
First Grand Prix: 1950
Number of Laps: 44
Circuit Length: 7.004 km
Race Distance: 308.052 km
Lap Record: 1:47.263 - S Vettel (2009)

Lewis Hamilton takes us through a lap of the circuit on the Mercedes simulator:

James Allen's preview of the race can be read here: http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/...-know-about-this-weekends-belgian-grand-prix/

Spa is mainly a fast flowing circuit with a couple of tight sections, notably in sector 1. The circuit features the famous Eau Rouge section, which is one of the most challenging pieces of race track on the calendar. The track is a definite favourite with both the drivers and Formula 1 fans.

Drivers Championship

Hamilton closed the gap slightly to Rosberg following the 3rd and 4th placings at Budapest. Ricciardo's win has seen him extend his lead over Alonso in the battle for third place, and 8th for Bottas has seen his ascension up the leaderboard stall, but you would think that Williams will be strong at Spa.

1 Nico Rosberg 202
2 Lewis Hamilton 191
3 Daniel Ricciardo 131
4 Fernando Alonso 115
5 Valtteri Bottas 95
6 Sebastian Vettel 88
7 Nico Hulkenberg 69
8 Jenson Button 60
9 Felipe Massa 40
10 Kevin Magnussen 37
11 Sergio Perez 29
12 Kimi Räikkönen 27
13 Jean-Eric Vergne 11
14 Romain Grosjean 8
15 Daniil Kvyat 6
16 Jules Bianchi 2

Constructors Championship

Mercedes continue their march to the 2014 Contructors title with Ferrari taking back 3rd position from Williams. Red Bull actually closed the gap by 4 points to Mercedes and are firming for the runner's up position.

1 Mercedes 393
2 Red Bull Racing-Renault 219
3 Ferrari 142
4 Williams-Mercedes 135
5 Force India-Mercedes 98
6 McLaren-Mercedes 97
7 STR-Renault 17
8 Lotus-Renault 8
9 Marussia-Ferrari 2

The tyre choices at Belgium will be the medium and soft compounds. Spa is notably hard on tyres and it will be interesting to see how many laps the teams can get out of the soft tyre.

So do we think its one race weekend Kamui will be out for considering Lotterer is an older bloke as well?

Good to have the racing back!
Their statement said they're happy to have an experienced driver in the car.

Not like Kamui's driven for three teams and gotten a podium or anything...

Their statement said they're happy to have an experienced driver in the car.

Not like Kamui's driven for three teams and gotten a podium or anything...
Yeah thats the one I read that bemused me, seemed to intimate that he will provide more useful feedback. Kamui is highly experience too so I thought it was strange but then ownership shakeup so chances are they will be looking for more sponsorship dollars with bringing in a different driver for next year.

darth_timon

Hakuna Matata!
Oct 24, 2011
UK
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Stevenage
I love Spa. Bitch of a track to drive on the F1 games, but then I imagine that's vaguely true to the real thing. A fast yet curvy track that tests both man and machine thoroughly. Then of course there's the weather conditions, which are unique to Spa. Hamilton will probably be hoping for rain.

235987286.jpg

Nuff said

In James Allen's Spa preview he questions whether the 2014 cars will be able to take Eau Rouge flat out or not and therefore their could be quite a lot of overtaking in the DRS zone immediately after. Red Bull won last year with their low down-force package and were able to carry more speed into the DRS zone. Which cars go low down-force and which go medium down-force will be part of the multitude of decision the teams have to solve this weekend.

Also, the weather forecast for Sunday is for low temperatures, and the soft tyres aren't very useful unless they are up to their higher operating temperature (higher operating temp than the medium tyre) . Whether this will push teams towards using the medium tyres as the preferred race tyre is yet to be seen.

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
Who was the last Yank in F1 ?
Scott Speed is the one recent one I can think of
Yeah, Speed would've been the most recent I think. Last race was '07ish. Andretti probably the most recent other than Speed. Don't think I could even name any others.

Back