Past #29: Brent Harvey - drafted w/ #47 in '95 ND - 432 games/518 goals for NM - AFL games record holder

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brent Harvey is a Little Champion. A Bloody Icon of the NMFC.

He has been severely penalised for a very soft incident.

Don't go hating on the Little Master. Go hating on the AFL and their shambolic tribunal system. :stern look

Just had a segment about it on AFL 360. Apparently Boomer is distraught and Robbo made a (rare) good point. For a bloke who brings up finals and how much he wants to play in another flag, he did a very silly thing at a very important time of the year.

He has credits in the bank though, to say the least. Sure I'm angry at him but unforgivable? Not even close. Boomer is a North Melbourne great.

I've deliberately taken my time to digest this but am still ropable.

Ropable that NMs teammates don't sit Harvey's tagger on his backside when they cross the line.

Pissed off that Harvey can't contain his emotions better and that it remains one of a very short list of weakness' in his game.

Extremely frustrated at North Melbourne's continued unfair persecution at the tribunal and most of all despondent that one of our champions will be absent in the biggest match for the Kangaroos in the last 7 years against probably our biggest rival.

It all hurts and nothing but a big EFF YOU AFL win against our bogey team Adelaide this week will start the healing process.

Time to round up and circle the wagons North Melbourne, nothing builds character than resilience in adversity.

Go Roos.

People are rarely black and white.I am peeved presently and probably will be for some time.But at the same time have to accept that with the brilliance comes the brain fades.When you have the brain fades without the brilliance that becomes a bigger problem.

I love boomer, he's an absolute champion. That word gets thrown around far too lightly, but it is 100% true for boomer. He'll go down as a champion of the game, one of only a handful to ever play 400 games, and in the top 10 north players of all time. He bleeds blue and white, understands the true meaning of what it is to be a shinboner, and is as exciting a player as has played in the past decade.

Picken is an absolute scrub, a blight on the game, and it's a blight on the umpires for not policing someone that has no intention to ever play the ball.

But this suspension ****s me to tears. Time and again boomer has shown himself to be selfish and take pot shots at guys that niggle him. Boomer was an ace in our hand for this final, and absolute match winner who knows how to get things done in the heat of finals. **** we're going to miss him badly. When are you going to learn boom, we need you making a fool of Hibberd again, not sitting in the grandstands in the most important game this club has played in the past 5 years...

Brady Rawlings says hi!
Next time you talk to Brady just remind him he was 100 times better footballer than Picken-my-nose is.. Ok?

Now you can piss off.

Brent Harvey is a Little Champion. A Bloody Icon of the NMFC.

He has been severely penalised for a very soft incident.

Don't go hating on the Little Master. Go hating on the AFL and their shambolic tribunal system. :stern look
/ thread

What you are saying is actually worse for Boomer.
1) You're saying Lake attacked an opponent just after he disposed off the ball and kept going on with it. Boomer just attacked a person with the ball nowhere in sight which is a lot worse.

2) If you look, Boomer slams him into the ground, gets on top of him, and pins his throat down with his forearm. He could have got up anytime but kept going on with it.
Derp.

Boomer didn't attack a person with the ball nowhere in sight. He tried to break free from an illegal tackle off the ball, whose sole interest was to stop Boomer getting involved in the play.

One of 3 umpires should have seen this, paid a free, and that's the end of it.

Yes, Boomer got suspended because he went on with it, and shouldn't have put the forearm across the bum's throat. But to suggest that Boomer simply attacked Picken for no reason is absurd. And to suggest that Boomer could have got up at anytime ignores the fact that Picken was continuing to hang onto him throughout the entire incident.

To everyone saying "forget it, move on, someone else will come in, we'll be ok.."

Boomer is not replaceable. No one on our list can do what he does on the field (and I'm not referring to him flipping opponents on their back).
We need him out there, we are a lesser side without him. Which is why I'm disappointed we're not throwing everything at an appeal to get him out there. It could be the difference between us winning and losing.
Hide the sharp instruments ....Rod. FFS

Boomers gonna retire...soon. Doesn't mean the end of our clubs existence.
This group has to play without our best on the field......its a measurement of where we are depth wise. We managed well enough without Wells, we'll do it again without Boomer.

If you play that line of thinking.. just makes North too one dimensional.. shut Boomer out and according to your preamble.. the season is done.

Instead.. Brad Scott couldn't be in a better position to put the HEAT back on the playing group in which I personally think is a massive blessing in disguise if you will… the players will need to respond to adversity meaning less reliability on the most experienced player on the list…
If you think football builds character, it does NOT… It reveals character. If North have nothing to offer.. they'll get flogged. I beg to differ that the 22 players who get chosen will have two weeks as a dress rehearsal for what will be they want to be. Ready or not.. s**t just got REAL and that's a damn good thing for the future.

At the start of the 2007 season, Nathan Thompson went down with a knee.. all the doom and gloom all over this board was shamelessly ANTI-SHINBONER. I wasn't moved at all.. not concerned because JYD was the tactician for overcoming such adversity.. and we all know what happened… can't pin the PF loss on JYD.. nup.. players lacked that Hunger after showing more than enough CHARACTER to overcome such adversity.
Brilliant post......!

I don't know how any supporters are still angry with Boomer. I was disappointed in him, but the penalty is so disproportionate to his actions surely now you can only feel sorry for him and angry at the tribunal. Pittman took him out for the Crows game, Neitz for the Melbourne game, and the third dill cost him a final. It was galling when Schimma was on the panel that ruled against Jack, but at least he was a player who did something bloody good in his time.

I am pretty confident in the team. I think it's far worse for Boomer than for his teammates, coaches or for us. I'm well past his age now, but I can only imagine the effort that he puts into his fitness and performance, and to now miss a final - it's just crap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To those whinging about others not moving on...perhaps listen to your own advice.

It's an internet forum. If you're done with the topic don't click on the thread. It really is that simple. If individuals want to continue writing in this thread until 2045 does it affect you? I'll move on when I bloody well feel like it.

Down with the MRP!

Disappointed in Boomer's actions, disappointed that his team mates didn't help him out and totally pissed off with the tribunal and that footy has become so soft.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Freo are challenging Fyfe for belting someone from behind, but we cant challenge what 99% of avid football fans would call perfection when looking at a hip and shoulder. Its the NM way now- just take it up the ass at all times.

Just on Fyfe - I reckon it's worth trying because there is no risk of him getting additional weeks, but it would take a near-miracle to succeed.

What you are saying is actually worse for Boomer.
1) You're saying Lake attacked an opponent just after he disposed off the ball and kept going on with it. Boomer just attacked a person with the ball nowhere in sight which is a lot worse.

2) If you look, Boomer slams him into the ground, gets on top of him, and pins his throat down with his forearm. He could have got up anytime but kept going on with it.

I remember it as well. Harvey pulled a knife on him and then shot him with a 22.

I'm sure you applauded Merrett punching out Pedersen.

I don't know how any supporters are still angry with Boomer. I was disappointed in him, but the penalty is so disproportionate to his actions surely now you can only feel sorry for him and angry at the tribunal. Pittman took him out for the Crows game, Neitz for the Melbourne game, and the third dill cost him a final. It was galling when Schimma was on the panel that ruled against Jack, but at least he was a player who did something bloody good in his time.

I am pretty confident in the team. I think it's far worse for Boomer than for his teammates, coaches or for us. I'm well past his age now, but I can only imagine the effort that he puts into his fitness and performance, and to now miss a final - it's just crap.

Very good point. Boomer works so hard, puts his heart and soul into trying to get the very best for our club and out of himself, week in week out. His work rate and commitment is phenomenal and what this suspension means to him is in my view also far worse for him than it is for us. We will miss him over these next 3 weeks but while I also think that it is going to be very hard for us to chalk up 3 wins in that period, (we really only need one of the next two to be assured of a final) for us, as supporters we can watch as someone else takes his place and hope that the collective efforts of the team are enough to get us to week two of the finals.

Picken and his ilk are a blight on the game. In this instance through his illegal tactics, one of the champions of the game will be absent from what is the real showpiece of the game, being the finals series.

When is the AFL going to realise that as bad as they view the image of Boomer wrestling with Picken, in my view at least, equally or more damaging is the absence of the champions from the game in these showpiece games. I try to get to as many finals as I can here in Victoria irrespective of who is playing and I love seeing the greats in action. Unfortunately injuries usually rob of us some of these types as H2H said yesterday. If it does end up us versus *essendon in the elimination final, then love him or hate him, the game will be better for *heppell being part of it. How much better if we can end *their season with *him there rather than have the *essendon donialists forever whinging that we only won because *he was out. (And if *he is playing and *they do beat us I will most likely curse myself for posting such rubbish here. :eek:)

This is something that the AFL can attempt to fix if they really care about the image of the game. They can put in place some instructions to umpires to come down hard on the taggers who hold, push, punch, scrag and pinch. There is nothing wrong with a tagger accompanying the champions wherever they go on the ground, provide their sole intent is to win the footy. Because that is what every player's intent should be on. And if they beat the stars on their merits then well done. I don't think Picken has enough talent for that, however I think that Crowley is actually a good enough footballer to win a lot of contests on merit.

In today's age there is a very interesting article. It states in part.

Gary Ablett, Joel Selwood, Paul Chapman and Mathew Stokes. The connection between these four players is easily spotted – all were part of Geelong’s drought-breaking 2007 premiership team. Add a quadrella of Kangaroos in Shaun Atley, Scott McMahon, Andrew Swallow and Brent Harvey, and the common denominator becomes less clear. All have been coached by one of the Scott twins? That would be correct, except that Ablett had made his lucrative switch to the Suns by the time that Chris Scott took over the reins at Kardinia Park. Incorporating Simon Black, Brett Deledio and Hayden Ballantyne into the mix makes a bond seemingly impossible to spot with the naked eye

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...h-the-best-20140820-1066p3.html#ixzz3AysAl4Ji

All of these players have either been reported for incidents with Picken or Picken has been reported for incidents with them. If this isn't sending a message to the AFL about taggers, then they have their heads buried in the sand.

One further thing. Last night on AFL360, there seemed to be just a little bit of sympathy for Boomer from Whately and Robinson (how this buffoon continues to get a gig anywhere amazes me) and maybe even a tinge of a realisation that through their sanctimony (has there ever been a more sanctimonious commentator than Whately?) they have played a part in Boomer getting suspended.

Mark McLure summed it up best though. He said "In my day that sort of thing (tagging in the way Picken does) never happened. If they tried it you gave them a backhander. If they tried it again you'd give them another backhander. And you would tell the umpires why and they'd do nothing apart from say he deserved it."

And that's how it should be with those scumbag taggers.

Last edited:
Does anyone here follow our old Crown carpark panel beater Matty Campbell on twitter? He had an interesting tweet posted in yesterday's HS on this subject, sticking up for his mate Boomer and lambasting his teammates for allowing a tagger to get away with the scragging all day.

Someone shirley does and can post it...........

I still think for a bloke of Boomer's experience, to put any pressure on the throat in the current climate, and leave yourself in the mercy of the media and tribunal was inexcusable. If he couldn't control himself, and punched him in the guts and got a week, you could half understand.

Well said Horace. I loved hearing McClure's views on the matter. He was basically saying the taggers are a blight on the game and the ball winners shouldn't have to put up with them.

Does anyone here follow our old Crown carpark panel beater Matty Campbell on twitter? He had an interesting tweet posted in yesterday's HS on this subject, sticking up for his mate Boomer and lambasting his teammates for allowing a tagger to get away with the scragging all day.

Someone shirley does and can post it...........
flash.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back