Toast Ash McGrath Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
2003 premiership player Ash McGrath, today announced he will retire from AFL football following Sunday’s clash between the Lions and Fremantle.
Farewell Champ.
mcgrath2xb3.jpg

Last edited:

Am gutted about this. One of my favourite players. Hoped to see him as super sub a la Giansericusa in 2015.
Thank you Ash. One of our best ever forwards IMHO.

After making his debut in 2001, McGrath went on to kick 169 goals and play 213 games for the Lions including that unforgettable 200th game against Geelong in Round 13 last year at the Gabba, when the Lions came back from 52 points behind late in the third term, to defeat the Cats with the final kick of the game.
Not seen by all as a true champ of the game, but undoubtably a champion of our our club.
Hasn't played a lot of footy, these last 2 seasons, but I've had comfort knowing he was there.
The last of our Premiership heroes, will be missed.

Thanks ash. Our last premiership player, seems like a great guy also..... And also thank you for the "miracle on grass" ;)

All the best

The last 3-peat premiership player and last indigenous footballer on our list.

Good character as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guessing that means he'll get a farewell game this weekend? :thumbsu:

I know the Miracle on Grass is hard to top, but my number 2 memory of Ash would be that monster rolling goal in the 2003 preliminary final against the Swans.

For me the Swans goal is still #1 - a final that it seemed like we could lose and just run out of puff, and then that goal.

To the man the commentators call 'Corey', thanks for everything Ash :thumbsu:

Glove or no glove, sleeves or no-sleeves, ink or no-ink, has been a stalwart of a Lion. Onya Boonji. :footy:

Legend, well done on a great career Ash. Had many offers I believe to return to WA but stuck fat and was a loyal one club player.

So that's it? No more premiership players on our list. The new era has well and truly begun. Hopefully in 10 years time we'll be talking about Rocky, Rich & Redden etc and their great careers including a premiership and a brownlow or 2 between them.

Legend, well done on a great career Ash. Had many offers I believe to return to WA but stuck fat and was a loyal one club player.

So that's it? No more premiership players on our list. The new era has well and truly begun. Hopefully in 10 years time we'll be talking about Rocky, Rich & Redden etc and their great careers including a premiership and a brownlow or 2 between them.
Congrats to Ash, when he was on we were a better side.

On the brownlow thing I wonder if Rocky will really be regretting getting rubbed out this year. He would have to poll votes in some of those losses.

Congrats to Ash, when he was on we were a better side.

On the brownlow thing I wonder if Rocky will really be regretting getting rubbed out this year. He would have to poll votes in some of those losses.

He will. The way he polled last year in the second half of the season playing midfield was extraordinary. This year he's played all midfield and been in better form. I think he'll poll the most votes pretty comfortably, he's been that dominant. Umpires should vote their top 5 players then when someone gets suspended they remove that player from any votes they get during the year and bump the next player up. Hate to see him win it when he's not eligible.

Am gutted about this. One of my favourite players. Hoped to see him as super sub a la Giansericusa in 2015.
Thank you Ash. One of our best ever forwards IMHO.

Couldn't agree more DanT7 .

Ash has always been one of my favourites and will long be remembered. Similarly, had harboured hopes that he would go around one more year, although I am glad he was afforded the opportunity and dignity to go out on his terms and to play on the hallowed turf of a venue that must have incredible memories for him one last time.

Like everyone, my sincere admiration and congratulations to the last of our premiership heroes and what really is an end of an era in more ways than one.

If Ash does read this, I wish you all the best champ, great career and thank you for all the great memories and all of us will miss you and your charismatic nature.

Enjoy a beer and KFC Boonji, but do watch the weight.;)

Love ya Ash!

Part of me wishes they all retired next year. Fancy keeping our horrible jumper this year as your retirement jumper.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back