news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

They fought a little while back and it wasn't pretty. Pettis toyed with him for a few minutes and then this happened:

KneePettis.gif

pettis-showtime-cerrone1.gif

I think it helps him in the sense that he gets another big fight out of it, but agree that he's in a long queue for a shot at the belt now. He called out Rockhold who I think is a step too far (but I think he'll fight Machida next anyway), but could see him being matched against a different top 10 opponent on the back of that. Perhaps a matchup with your long time favourite CB may be on the cards!

I was really disappointed with Kim in this fight. I thought he had the tools to beat Woodley if he fought smart, but instead he waded forward and seemed to have picked out his finishing shot (spinning back elbow) before the fight. It took me back to his fight against Pearson not long after UFC 129 where Machida "Daniel San'd" Randy and he spent the whole fight trying to emulate it, landing 1 of about 43 attempts. Instead of trying to use the jab and straight shots to set up the clinch, he plodded forward, tried spinning s**t (Nick Diaz tm) and got caught with a big right hand for his trouble. Props to Woodley though, that's a good win over a surging opponent and should put him back in the mix for big fights.

The other fight I saw tonight don't really rate a mention. Lipeng and O'Reilly didn't really reach great heights and the TUF China Finale was a masterclass in how not to impress Dana White.

Also, saw Aussie George got beat down by Mike Ricci in the Titan FC headliner. He didn't get KO'd at least, but that's 5 losses in a row now for Sots and at his age I'd think about hanging them up.

I can see the UFC make the Bisping vs CB match up, which will be good to watch, but it's another sideways fight for Bisping that doesn't move him closer to a title fight. I think that his days at the top are probably over, but he's too good to be a gatekeeper. He will probably become a headliner on European and UK cards and remain in the top 5-10 guys in the division. Maybe I'm being a little too harsh on Bisping.

Aussie George is done. He can be proud of what he's been able to do but he just can't keep up with the young guys anymore. It's time for him to get into coaching and enter some BJJ comps.

Also, great to have another card on today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Slightly early stoppage on the main event, but huge win for Dos Anjos. Where to for Henderson now?
who cares! havnt likes him since he stole the frankie fight by running backwards until the last ten seconds of each round and then coming forward and celebrating at the end of each round like he dominated.. so happy he lost! and with his boring style u can garrentee he is 4-5 fights away from another shot!

who cares! havnt likes him since he stole the frankie fight by running backwards until the last ten seconds of each round and then coming forward and celebrating at the end of each round like he dominated.. so happy he lost! and with his boring style u can garrentee he is 4-5 fights away from another shot!

Running backwards? I suppose Frankie ended up so busted up by punching himself in the face out of boredom then? Also, I suppose his fights against Guida, Diaz, Bocek, Cerrone, Melendez and Khabilov are good examples of his boring style? Please!

Great win for RDA and I think a good stoppage by Big John. Benson looked completely out of it for a second or so after the fight was stopped before very quickly getting his bearings back, so I have no problem with the ending. This puts both guys in a tough spot though with Henderson already having two losses to the champion and RDA having a convincing loss against a guy likely in the mix for a #1 contender fight in Khabib, it will be interesting to see what direction the UFC takes with them both.

Mein's finishing combo was a thing of beauty! Pyle was a good step up for him on paper, but he made it look easy.

Leites' finish of Carmont was a shock. I expected it to be a three round clinch match along the cage, so to see it finish early was a pleasant surprise.

Holloway and Collard was a hell of a fun fight. Collard looked gassed from pretty early on, but was there throwing right 'til the end. I can't wait to see him with a full training camp. Max looked very clean on the feet today and looks to have tightened up his takedown defense too.

The rest of the card was good fun too. Vick and Lazaro's brawl was entertaining, Skelly looked slick on the ground, Dariush and Martin was a good scrap and Saunders started it with the first omaplata submission ever in the UFC.

Benson's shown the durability over his career to deserve more time to recover than that. Whatever though. Pyle can be really chinny early in a fight and he left himself open and got blasted. Crazy story yesterday too with Mein's dad (still an active fighter himself) being arrested yesterday at the weigh-ins after allegedly trying to grope a housekeeper at the hotel they were staying at. There wouldn't be too many tears shed if Carmont got cut after this loss despite a 6-3 UFC career. Saw somebody aptly describe the Vick fight as being like two high school kids going at it. Collard showed a pretty solid chin but, really, he doesn't deserve to win a fight until he loses his nickname.

Pretty surprising to see Stann openly accuse Cung of being on something and cheating for his fight. It's one thing for anonymous forum posters or even writers on MMA blogs to say it, it's another for an ex-fighter with a highly prominent position on Fox's UFC coverage to say it. Cung has always been a pudgy small middleweight who, in his early 40s, suddenly got ripped for this fight so I get why Stann is skeptical, just strange to actually hear it.

The Vick fight was not something I enjoyed. They looked like medicore fighters with no skills as mixed martial artists. I was hoping for a double knock out and then see them both cut. If they get another chance to fight in the UFC then I hope they learn from this fight.

I am not Henderson's biggest fan, I was happy to see Pettis take his belt, but I wouldn't call him boring. That said, I don't think that GSP is boring. Is Henderson safer than some? Yep, but that's just his style. Henderson isn't at the same point that Bisping is, he can still make another run at the title.

Stann's comments will most likely see him questioned by the UFC, but he is a guy who does a lot of research and considers hi words carefully. I wouldn't be shocked to find out that he knew that he was going to piss hot for this fight, but of Cung's sake, I hope that he was clean. I'm not sure he was, however.

The UFC Light weight division is become a packed and entertaining place, I'd love to see a tourney style card made to coincided with the Pettis vs Melendez fight and pack the card with 155'ers. That is a PPV that should sell.

He was a comparable size to Story in their fight and I've always though of Rick as a pretty big welterweight. The only guy I remember him fighting that looked bigger was Maia. Having said that, none of those guys have had issues making 170, so Kelvin shouldn't either. I'm guessing it's just a matter of discipline and given that he's only in his early 20's, he should hopefully mature enough over the next few years and get it right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back