Unpopular Cricket Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Are we picking batsman who are capable of battering India though, or averaging 45+ over an extended period in test cricket?

More of a statement than a motion to have Bailey back in the squad. I'd prefer Hughes in the team just so he can start playing Test cricket again and ease into batting against a team that he struggled so much with in the past.

Nah.

Khawaja or Hughes would have no difficulties scoring big against India in Australia.

Hughes potentially but I reckon even Ishant would cause Khawaja problems.

Maxwell would do better than all of the above

Fair enough but I don't think anyone knows how Maxwell would perform playing proper Test cricket. His cons are his pros and his pros are his cons.

Going on from the above post, my unpopular opinion is that I don't have a massive issue with the whole 'chucking' issue. I think arguing over a few degrees is fairly silly and that the skill these guys (Murali, Ajmal etc) have definitely justifies their actions and the 'tinkering' of rules.

Come at me.

Going on from the above post, my unpopular opinion is that I don't have a massive issue with the whole 'chucking' issue. I think arguing over a few degrees is fairly silly and that the skill these guys (Murali, Ajmal etc) have definitely justifies their actions and the 'tinkering' of rules.

Come at me.

So what's your limit?

So what's your limit?
That's a good question, and one I'd need to think about before answering. For now let's just say that I have no qualms with the likes of Murali, Botha, Samuels etc. bowling in international cricket. Not expecting anybody to agree with me, but that is the purpose of the thread. :)

I'll just say I'm no expert in the degrees etc. I just don't find myself at all upset when players are accused of such things, whereas I find most cricket fans get very passionate about the topic. It's like the ASADA case, I couldn't tell you anything about it because I just tune out whenever anything about it comes on.

Come at me.

Nor do I. The defining of the rule itself - x amount of degrees - is ridiculous. Keep it much, much simpler - does the umpire think the bowler is chucking it or not? Even if he is, I don't get the outrage and never have. It's simply an illegal delivery, no different to overstepping the crease with your front foot.

I'll just say I'm no expert in the degrees etc. I just don't find myself at all upset when players are accused of such things, whereas I find most cricket fans get very passionate about the topic. It's like the ASADA case, I couldn't tell you anything about it because I just tune out whenever anything about it comes on.

The notion of chucking goes way back, to be considered to throw the balls means the ball has not been delivered under the laws of the game and is therefore and illegal delivery and an unfair advantage. Plenty of players have been effectively kicked out of the game, through illegal actions (Ian Meckiff and Aaron Bird spring to mind), while others have had considerable ?? added over them by the suggestion that some certain deliveries where delivered with an illegal action (anyone with a doosra, Charlie Griffiths, Shahid Afridi, Tony Lock) to name a few.

Most kids when they start to play cricket throw it, once you have mastered the overarm delivery you don't go back.

Unfortunately due to a incident nearly 20 years ago, the floodgates opened an we came up with ridiculous degrees of bend. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck....

Suddenly large numbers of bowlers (predominantly off spinners) started popping up all over the place with actions that would have been outlawed in past times.

I coach a fair few kids, I went to a junior talent id clinic a while back, the gurus raved over this little fella "who spun his offies a mile" - my observation was "that's because he's throwing it" - you would have thought I was the devil reincarnate.

Chucking is illegal - I don't have anything against Murali, but my view is that his record should have a very big asterix next to it.

Nor do I. The defining of the rule itself - x amount of degrees - is ridiculous. Keep it much, much simpler - does the umpire think the bowler is chucking it or not? Even if he is, I don't get the outrage and never have. It's simply an illegal delivery, no different to overstepping the crease with your front foot.

An illegal delivery that gives a bowler (especially right arm off spinners) a massive advantage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shane Warne is a c*nt of a human

Phil Hughes should not be put 10 kilometres near the Australian cricket team. His lack of confidence at that level is contagious to the rest of the team.

If Alastair Cook had the pressures of captaincy taken away from him he would be the best batsman in the game

Last edited:
England remain a decent chance of winning the 2015 Ashes

Yep i still have serious doubts about our batting in england, turners like 13 or pitches like they just gave india i don't think this generation of aussie bats has proven they can bat on either very well.

Seem like a lifetime ago really that we last won a series in england, hell when we did the twin towers were still up and we had a skipper who loved slim dusty.

Probably not controversial but would be fairly unpopular I'd imagine - I enjoy watching spin bowling a lot more than pace bowling. Unless it's swinging a lot and is a contest between two excellent players.

And probably more popular - the use of part-timers (especially when they get a wicket) is a really fun part of cricket.

Yep i still have serious doubts about our batting in england, turners like 13 or pitches like they just gave india i don't think this generation of aussie bats has proven they can bat on either very well.

Seem like a lifetime ago really that we last won a series in england, hell when we did the twin towers were still up and we had a skipper who loved slim dusty.

Not sure that's anything to be proud of. Better than John Williamson I guess (so is running your fingers through a cheese grater though).

No nothing to be proud of, just an insight into what generation of aussie cricketers it was that last did the job in england.

Some of our current team were still in primary school when we last won a test series in england, as well as we played in the 5-0 we have as much to prove in england as we do in india.

If we get the right bowling attack we can win in Eng. It's probably Harris, Bird (and has to be) MitchJ.

Patto and Siddle aren't made for Eng conditions.

Phil Hughes is still the future of our test team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back