List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Trade FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please tell me you all saw David King suggest on 360 that we trade pick 1 for Patton this year. And here I was thinking that he wasn't a moron.
Says more about you... :p

Baker_for_PM

All Australian
Nov 18, 2008
In the memories of 1966
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Liverpool
Pretty much every player will want to add weight and 100% of them will be able to if they put in the work required. At worst it just means we have to wait a few years before they really shine. I have faith that Curren will be able to guide them on their path to maximum swoleness.

Josh Thurgood anyone

Sheeza69

Club Legend
Feb 26, 2012
East Bentleigh
AFL Club
St Kilda
Common-sense might just prevail..

James Frawley’s modest season could mean Melbourne might miss first-round compensation pick

THE prospect of Melbourne receiving pick three as compensation when free agent James Frawley leaves is the last small positive from a season turning into Groundhog Day.
Except what if Melbourne misses not only a priority pick, but that first round pick for Frawley?
It might send chills down the spine of Paul Roos and co, but Frawley’s decidedly modest season means a first round compensation pick could be a line-ball call.
Frawley is expected to postpone a decision on his future until late next month, as suitors fall out of the finals.The only factors that matter in deciding compensation are age and salary. Frawley will be 26 next month and wants about $700,000 a year.But assess his season as a key forward and you begin to wonder if the ardour of his suitors has cooled?
Would Frawley be in the top 10 in Melbourne’s best-and-fairest after a selfless season of just 15 goals from 19 games — 14 of those games as a key forward?

Above him in the Bluey Truscott Medal would be Dom Tyson, Nathan Jones, Bernie Vince, Jack Viney, Tom McDonald, Lynden Dunn, Neville Jetta, Jack Watts, Jack Grimes, Jeremy Howe and maybe Daniel Cross, Mark Jamar and Colin Garland.
Leigh Matthews believes Frawley is not in the league’s top 100 players, saying this month: “If he wasn’t a free agent, no one would be thinking about recruiting him. He’s an OK player.”
If a rival like Geelong or Fremantle offers him only $500,000 a year or less, Melbourne might be left with unders — a second-round pick for Frawley instead of the free agency gift. The stats show the 2010 All-Australian defender has played only five games in the back line this year, giving up four goals to Josh Kennedy and well-beaten by Tom Hawkins.
Champion Data ranks him the 12th best key forward of a pack of about 50 but surely a rival would lock him in as a stay-at-home defender.
Geelong wants him, but within a pay band he deserves.
“I reckon he’s going to have to get around $600,000 to get that first round (compensation),’’ former Melbourne star David Schwarz said on Wednesday.
“He can play both ends and he would appeal to a team in the top four, but is he going to win you games? Maybe not.
“Is he going to bring more people through the gates? Definitely not. “What he brings is competently covering off a position.”
Schwarz said if Frawley decided to leave the Demons should not try to retain him.
“I reckon if James wants to go it’s a win-win,” he said.
“He gets an opportunity to play finals footy and Melbourne gets a pick.
“If we only get a second-round pick, so be it. If I was Melbourne I wouldn’t bank on pick three, but good clubs are good at developing all players, not just high picks.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/ja...ompensation-pick/story-fndv8pdq-1227031154227

Last edited:

Cabba

Debutant
Aug 19, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
If melbourne recieve a priority pick and we finish below them then we would almost certainly get one aswell in my books. Where do people thinkif would be (if it happens of course)? End of first round?

A few Richmond supports still reckon Ben Griffiths will sign with us
A 200cm 102kg versatile KPP with a thumping right boot and strong contested marking, who's just about to turn 23? See no issue at the right price.

Griff's problem is that he lacks mongrel I think, and that's a worry, but if he came then either he or Rhys can play as a permanent forward (while RM develops ;)) and the other as the ruck/forward; means there's less pressure on Roo, and a battle-hardened succession plan in place for when he's cooked.

Also means Bruce can play as a permanent CHB, which would be very helpful to our structure back there.

FB: Geary - Delaney - Dempster
HB: Fisher - Bruce - Newnes
RK: Hickey - Dunstan - Steven
CR: Savage - Armitage - Weller
HF: Billings - Riewoldt - Petracca
FF: Templeton* - Griffiths - Stanley

Int: Ray - Gilbert - Wright - Curren

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
There's a train of thought in here that we'll just de-list a whole heap of mid range players, including Siposs and Simpkin. It just won't happen. Even if we upgrade all 4 rookies (which is really just putting in mid range players for other mid range players - Eli excepted) we'd still need to use pick 1, pick 21, pick 40, pick 60 and pick 78 on new draftees(assuming we have 9 spots open)...

We'll trade people, whether it's older players or picks or a combination of both. Tough calls will be made and we'll move up the draft order

Fair comments. No doubt that they will make every effort to trade out those players, even if it's for a pick we won't use. That way we don't have to pay them out.... and make spots available.

A 200cm 102kg versatile KPP with a thumping right boot and strong contested marking, who's just about to turn 23? See no issue at the right price.

Griff's problem is that he lacks mongrel I think, and that's a worry, but if he came then either he or Rhys can play as a permanent forward (while RM develops ;)) and the other as the ruck/forward; means there's less pressure on Roo, and a battle-hardened succession plan in place for when he's cooked.

Also means Bruce can play as a permanent CHB, which would be very helpful to our structure back there.

Griffiths has benn much better this year than last. He's still only 22 and has further development ahead IMO.

Is he out of contract?

Patton is the reason why smart clubs poach developed talls from other clubs instead of draft them.
I only know of one club that's done it really successfully, and they had an unfair advantage.
Port-Shultz , yeah maybe. Most of the others are home grown. Lyon tried of course.

A few Richmond supports still reckon Ben Griffiths will sign with us
Wouldn't be averse to him being an el cheapo pickup, a la Mav last year. Just about to turn 23, 200cm, 104kg, 1.7 scoring shots a game (albeit inaccurate). He'd basically be a Maister replacement as a developed backup tall forward, but a lot younger, and more in our window. He still could come good, and if after a year he doesn't, we dump him to create space on the list for a gun tall that is out of contract.

Would rather Wright, McCartin or McKenzie to be honest...
Of course we would. Of course we'd rather a first-rounder than a third-rounder. But if we take Petracca with our first, and McKenzie is taken before our second, then Griff might be an okay compromise.

Oct 5, 2013
Swifts Creek
AFL Club
St Kilda

A big lump to stick at FF grab CP who can play medium forward and then the real question is about Spencer White and Markworth, do these boys really have what it takes or does the club think they do?

With the potential of Bruce to rotate forward, Billings , Petracca an Templeton to rotate through the middle, Stanley, White and Markworth for leg speed, Minchington and Lee as possibles, then Griffiths makes a lot of sense, we don't need him to be an absolute gun. The thing that makes McCartin and McKenzie so desirable is that they provide a big lump, the sort of player we understand and would fit in with the rest of the structure, Griffiths could easily be a big lump with less potential upside for sure, but a whole lot cheaper that allows us to get CP and have a more versatile list and forward set up.

Get him cheap or use Armo as a trade possibility for a pick and Griffiths as steak knives?

Jun 2, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
If we get Petracca, we should entertain the thought of Armo for Pick 8 + Griffiths, although I doubt Richmond would go for that trade. But you never know, they offered pick 28 for Hampson haha. But just think about the prospect of Petracca and Lever... with Griffiths to tide us over at FF until we get another big KPF in the next few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back