Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Sando making a statement that he's "not for sale", just after LJ played the only good game of his entire career, does not mean that there was actually any interest from the other clubs.

It's also worth noting that Sando says "He will certainly play for us next year. He will be offered a contract without question". History says he was only offered a 12-month contract and only added 2 games to his career total.

Even if there was interest from the other clubs last year, there certainly won't be 12 months down the track.

Do you not remember the interest clubs and in Jhonston last year idiot

Can you please start writing Johnston, this Jhonston stuff is really starting to get to me now.

Matman23

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Depending on the OUTs, we may need to draft more than just 1x rookie listed ruckman. Smack, Gus & Osborn should all be given their marching orders (if the club has the balls to do so). That leaves us with just 2 ruckmen on our entire list - senior & rookie. We will need to draft and/or trade for at least 2 more, preferably 3.

My preference would be to trade for a mature ruckman who is competent at AFL level, but willing to play the rest of his career in the SANFL. This probably means someone who is getting close to the end of his career, because younger players are likely to be more ambitious and Jacobs' dominance means that we won't be able to satisfy them. I would draft a "ready to go" ruckman from one of the state leagues, not necessarily the SANFL, but that's an obvious place to start looking. Lastly, I'd draft an 18yo project ruckman, possibly via the Rookie Draft.

I just hope the club has the intestinal fortitude to delist all 3 ruckmen, plus LJ. Enough is enough. I accept that doing so would leave us short of depth in the tall department, but sometimes you've just got to bite the bullet and do what needs to be done.

I feel that we could attract a decent ruck man that would consider himself a chance of playing. Mid last year Jacobs was in terrible form. If we had a back up ruck man who was capable of playing AFL Sauce would have been dropped. People on here were even suggesting Gus play.

There is nothing saying another opportunity like this won't arise again, this may become an attractive proposition for the right player.

Elder van Berlo

Premiership Player
May 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide United
We need to bump that old thread about players' names.

Also, there's no need to be mean to billy fragos about it. Strange as it sounds this board can be an intimidating environment and there's no need to make a newcomer feel unwelcome - there was a comment in the "How's the board going" thread about a feeling that not everyone gets to have an opinion, which is a pretty poor state of affairs if people feel that way.

By all means correct the spelling if it bothers you but we can be polite about it.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
I feel that we could attract a decent ruck man that would consider himself a chance of playing. Mid last year Jacobs was in terrible form. If we had a back up ruck man who was capable of playing AFL Sauce would have been dropped. People on here were even suggesting Gus play.

There is nothing saying another opportunity like this won't arise again, this may become an attractive proposition for the right player.
Form comes and goes, but our job of finding a willing backup gets a whole lot harder if Jacobs is named in the AA team this year, which is a distinct possibility.

Any way you look at it, the backup ruckman is essentially basing his decision on the likelihood of Jacobs getting injured or suffering a major loss of form. He knows that there is relatively little he can do to influence his own position in the pecking order, other than being in good enough form if/when something happens to Jacobs. I'm not sure that's an attractive career choice for many players.

If jhonson is named in this weeks line up the club clearly want him To stay if not then he is probably done for I doubt they will dlest him though they are more likely to trade him

When he needed to, he didn't fire a shot.

The fact he is playing off of HBF and that Pods is our third tall (which truthfully, is the worst case scenario) shows he got a snowballs chance right now.

He's had 6-7 years in the system, at Sydney and then Adelaide... he has literally 0 value, we might be able to get a pick in the 70s and 80s we could upgrade cameron with maybe.

May 25, 2009
Back in S.A.
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sporting Clube de Portugal
How many of those came from a strong mark like KPF are suppose to do. I could stand in the goal square and receive hand balls from Eddie Betts.
I'd like to see you try that. I don't think any defender would allow you to loiter around the goal square unattended whistling to yourself. Finding space in an AFL match these days is not the product of laziness and luck, it takes speed, endurance and a whole lot of effort. The problem here is that some people aren't happy with Jenkins because he doesn't conform to the stereotypical key forward. Now it's fair to ask him to improve in the areas of his game where he's weak in but to deride him on one of his strengths is strange to say the least.

We have an attack that boasts multiple avenues to goal and most of these players can take a mark, be it on a lead or contested, however only one can be the target at any given moment in time. This is why having other ways of scoring goals can be a very handy tool to have, so you're not sitting around doing nothing when it's not your turn to go for the mark. For Jenkins it's drawing his man, who typically is just as big but slower than Jenkins, away from the goals and then beating him with pace on the return. And that isn't the limit of his usefulness, he also provides relief in the ruck.

Furthermore the notion of trying to upgrade to someone better is a bit fanciful because anyone better is likely to cost an arm and a leg both in terms of salary and what we'd have to give up in a trade, if such a player was even available. We need only look at Fremantle last year, who had to resort to going after the perpetually injured Gumbleton. Jenkins is a valuable player for us regardless of how he gets his goals, let's just be glad that we don't have another decent forward/ruck demanding to join the Swans and focus on some real areas of concern.

Bacon8

Cancelled
May 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sunderland, Penguins, Strikers

Take a look at Stefan Martin, as an example. Wasn't setting the world alight at Melbourne (wasn't he playing in DEF??), moved to Brissy, 5 games in Year 1, then this year BANG! Even in pre-season, you'd think he was behind Leuey & West.

There is opportunity for ruckmen out there. Collingwood are in need (Grundy, Witts & Keefe are their only options). Port need one to be a backup (Lobbe, Redden, Westhoff). WB will need someone soon (Minson, Campbell, Cordy)

If you were a Ben Brown, or a Toby Nankervis, or a Sam Grimley, or a Daniel Gorringe, or a Jon Giles - where you are 4th/5th in line - you'd make a move.

Houston

Premiership Player
Feb 3, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Timberwolves
Not that I want him traded or anything, but what would Jenkins trade value be? Late first/early second rounder?

May 25, 2009
Back in S.A.
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sporting Clube de Portugal

Which people? I demand names!:mad::p

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
You are far too caught up in the 700k. We should have plenty of room in the cap for 2015 this year.
I would much rather have James Frawley at 700k than having to trade for a 2nd key defender at 400k.

Could you please show me where I'm caught up in the $700k???

If you took the time to read the actual article you would have known what you are attributing to me was a DIRECT quote from Leigh Matthews!

Leigh Matthews believes Frawley is not in the league’s top 100 players, saying this month: “If he wasn’t a free agent, no one would be thinking about recruiting him. He’s an OK player.”

For the record I'd love to have him at the AFC but $700k would be overs IMO.

And I also believe Matthews is far better credentialed to assess his worth than most of us on here.

ah crap, outside mid, outside mid

i think we have enough inside mids

Yeah, we have a surplus inside mids.. i'd be trading Lyons ASAP see if we can get around pick 30.

billy fragos

Premiership Player
Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not that I want him traded or anything, but what would Jenkins trade value be? Late first/early second rounder?
He will probably finish this season with 45 goals so he would have to be worth a first rounder seeing as he can still improve his game

billy fragos

Premiership Player
Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Could you please show me where I'm caught up in the $700k???

If you took the time to read the actual article you would have known what you are attributing to me was a DIRECT quote from Leigh Matthews!

Leigh Matthews believes Frawley is not in the league’s top 100 players, saying this month: “If he wasn’t a free agent, no one would be thinking about recruiting him. He’s an OK player.”

For the record I'd love to have him at the AFC but $700k would be overs IMO.

And I also believe Matthews is far better credentialed to assess his worth than most of us on here.

Well Talias ranked as the 310th best player

James Frawley is going to Hawthorn anyway, he absolutely suits their plug and play recruitment style and playing needs to a tee. The only way he wouldn't is if the Hawks already had someone better lined up and a shotgun ready to point at the unfortunate team during trade week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back