FTA-TV The Strain

Remove this Banner Ad

I found the first episode so appallingly bad that I am struggling to bring myself to watch the second and third eps?

So is it worth me watching?

I guess it's each to their own. Do you dislike it based on the genre or acting talent or...?

First episode was probably my favourite so far, some of the writing/acting is pretty poor though haha for example "This is bad, very bad, we got a dead plane" , but im finding it to be a pretty entertaining show.

I've watched the first four episodes. It's pretty easy to watch so far. I don't take on a lot of new shows but try to last as long as I can when I do. I still watch Falling Skies and Revolution even though I have grown bored of them. I still like Under the Dome a little more than those two despite it having even worse reviews. I do find I pause or stop these shows and come back later to watch them. I have been fine sitting through The Strain so far though.

I do wonder about why creators see aliens/otherworldythings as reptilian quite a lot. I'm still not sure whether we are talking an earth bound supernatural being or an alien being but it's much of a muchness. The Van Helsing styled old man tells me if may still be the former.

A bit going on. Still some tying in of characters to be done. The hood who delivered the box and why we are following him around, and the health inspector rat whisperer. Monty Burns dude just seems the conduit to allow this thing to get political traction.

In the pilot, when the dude put on the headphones to listen inside the dead plane, there was static and then a quack quack noise. I was like 'there's a duck on the plane?' My toddler was in the room pressing some button on this interactive duck book and I was so engrossed in the show, I was like 'what the *?'

Now when we watch it, we insert random quacking followed by Scary Movie 4 lines from Leslie Nielsen ... 'there goes that duck again'.

It will forever be the duck show to me, ruined by a toddler book ... in a good way.

"It's easy to watch" sums it up for me.

Most of the characters they've introduced I like except for the woman who works alongside Eph and her mother - find them increasingly annoying.

I go away from each episode wanting more. I do wonder though with the way the story is going how long it will take for the various characters we've seen to come together in a meaningful way. I think they've got too much going on to keep all of the parties separate. [snip]

Last edited by a moderator:
Last night? What episode is that? I have ep 5 programmed for tomorrow night on Fox 8. Is there an earlier night?

I watched episode 6 last night. The episodes come out in the US around 1pm on a Monday our time. I should have added spoilers apologies.

I watched episode 6 last night. The episodes come out in the US around 1pm on a Monday our time. I should have added spoilers apologies.

Okay yes. Spoiler tags or we will have to make it a non-spoiler thread. I'll get rid of that one in case anybody else is watching.

Just got around to watching Ep 5. Got me hooked and it has been a while since a show did that. Knowing what the creatures are helps. It's a variation on a theme sure, but this s**t is spreading so rather than looking at vampires skulking around in the dead of night, silently taking out prey, these things are a lot more vicious and public.

I can see it growing old if it was around a few seasons but right now, I'm disappointed when it ends and I have to wait a week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah what the hell was that all about? Some parasite vampires fighting for good? A strange twist.

Interesting addition. Strange timing to introduce them though. It doesn't really feel like we know enough about the main characters yet or have seen them do much and they're already adding in other little gangs.

Good episode yesterday. This is definitely one of those shows that if you have the will power is better watched in a binge.

they've now brought some of the characters together which is exciting. I liked that they killed off a main character (Jim) from episodes 1-8 - keeps the pace of the show going at a perfect intensity. Thought that last nights episodes was just a classic zombie styled plot being trapped in the convenience store for the majority.

I wonder if Setrakian knows about the vigilante vampire group?

Yeah not sure what I think about vampire SWAT. I wanted Eph and Van Helsing to lead the resistance as main characters but these guys are so much better equipped. Still interested in understanding their specific mutation and resistance. It's like Blade.

I think they needed to bring the characters together, or at least some of them, sooner rather than later otherwise the show would be too much of a slow burn. Especially considering the plot proceeds on the premise that a group of unlikely strangers are the ones fighting together.

I think regarding the vampire vigilante group...Their introduction was OK given that it was very brief. Viewers will put them at the back of their mind and they'll be able to be redeployed to the story, hopefully to save the main characters or something, where their history and motives can be explained.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back