30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Its pretty much like for like so freshening the squad and looking at match ups

If a player does surprisingly well on an opponent dont be surprised if hes moved away quickly

Just on McEvoy, was he omitted?? Or is he just being rested??

Says omitted next to McEvoys name on the website and nothing next to Shoeys name seems he is the one being rested.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
and I should add - if Shoe is omitted and not injured than he is on thin ice. I think he'll survive the cut this year but next year is his last if he doesn't significant improve

That would be a courtesy seeing as hes had 12 m off with an injury. Shoe is the type of player we look to recruit from other teams with unfulfilled potential

HolyWars

Premiership Player
Apr 8, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, Barcelona, Boca Juniors
For me, Hale still has credits in the bank after THAT bump in last year's Prelim. Probably saved the game.

That was THE moment. I agree that Hale probably saved the GF with that one small bit of desperation because he was heavily out numbered and the ball was on the deck.

dipper86

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 8, 2004
Dimmeys
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chelsea SSC Napoli
Mcevoy has to be being rested

No way hale is ahead of him

Hoping Clarko isn't doing what he did with Ellis in 2012, which will cost us later in the year
Hale does NOT deserve his spot based on form this yr

Another Premiership potentially decided at the selection table.........that makes me extremely nervous.

Hawkers

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2005
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Err.. Think you might be reading a bit much into it.

They won't delist a player after one substandard year after a knee reco.
That would be a courtesy seeing as hes had 12 m off with an injury. Shoe is the type of player we look to recruit from other teams with unfulfilled potential

I like Shoe. I think he has, really has, the potential to be like a Harry Taylor.
But he hasn't kicked on. He is 23 now and been on the list since 2008 draft.

I liken it to Hawkins. In the early years the bloke had all the potential to be the player he is now but it looked like he would never make it. He was always running around being timid and stand-offish. Something clicked in the bloke and said to him that he is good enough and he belonged. Since then he hasn't looked back. Once he realised that he is a Man and that he belongs, that he can throw his weight around and demand respect as a footballer then he actually become a quality footballer (for the record I reckon Patten is like Hawkins).

Shoey is at that point. He needs to realise that he belongs, that he demands respect as a footballer. Throw his weight around, play excellent games of football that the whole football world is expecting that he his capable of (even the trolls).

He is running out of time to do that

JustKickIt

Premiership Player
Sep 5, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Mmm this McEvoy trade is turning out to be a bust. Shame we couldn't snag a quality ruckman instead. Would have made a huge difference to our season.

Gus I think would have been a good addition this week to play on one of their smalls.

It's a lot of non-forced changes for this time of the year.. I sense panic stations..
I sense man management for finals

Main Man

Premiership Player
Aug 17, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool, Old Ivanhoe!
Hawkins was fat and lazy, he lost weight and worked harder, not sure you can compare his situation to Schoenmakers, he has excuses with the knee injury this year but a similar performance next year and hard to see him on the list in 2016.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 17, 2008
Sir Kenneth Luke Stand
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
The Mayblooms
Interesting conundrum. We're top 4 but with so many players playing inconsistent footy we're struggling to find that perfect combination. Injury is no longer an excuse. Could have easily been Stratton, Hale or any number of players omitted. Nothing better than the luxury of a strong, settled side but we just don't seem to be able to get the mix right. Competitive ... for sure, but dominant for 4 quarters ... not yet. Maybe this week. Maybe not!

Mar 26, 2011
Where kookaburras chuckle.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA Lakers
Interesting conundrum. We're top 4 but with so many players playing inconsistent footy we're struggling to find that perfect combination. Injury is no longer an excuse. Could have easily been Stratton, Hale or any number of players omitted. Nothing better than the luxury of a strong, settled side but we just don't seem to be able to get the mix right. Competitive ... for sure, but dominant for 4 quarters ... not yet. Maybe this week. Maybe not!

In here lies the rub for the selection committee..the combination and form...what are they?...because we've been patch quilting many combos this year to keep us in the top 4...what is the best for us and when will they all click?

I'm still surprised by Litherland...why a no show..can someone explain to me what has the kid not done to get selected..because he shows determination..and he has skills.

Says on the AFL website that all of McEvoy, Schoey, O'Brien and Duryea have been omitted. But then again, omitted is the new rested isn't it? ;)

Yeh true, never really know who is being dropped and rested, unless someone goes and asks Clarko :p

Stratton_Gun

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 4, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester United
Rough for TOB was obvious. Not really surprised Doc or Schoey out either but when I saw Ceglar was in, I assumed it was for Hale. When I saw it was for Big Boy I was like......
black-kid-oh-snap.gif

Not that I have been overly impressed by Big Boy but he's definitely best 22 imo. I guess we really have no idea who is our number 1 ruck when all 3 have been dropped at some point this year

Would have preferred to see Sewell back for the Pies tbh but ce lest vie. I assume Burgers will play mostly back considering we bought in a mid for a half back flanker

oh and where's Lithers? Not even an emergency after signing a contract extenstion. Maybe he's injured and they aren't telling us considering he didn't even play for BHH last week

Down At Gillon

Team Captain
Aug 24, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
North Old Boys
Think Hale should have gone aswell instead of Mcevoy but can understand that Hale can hit the score board more.
He gets more opportunity to, because he plays forward more. There's no way Hale can run like McEvoy can though, and get back and take a defensive, contested mark. He is currently is a liability, because he can't run out of sight in a fog, and has hands of concrete.

On McEvoy. I wonder how long it takes a player to go from being in an ordinary system, with ordinary coaches and a rubbish culture to a club like ours and fit in and succeed. Maybe it will take a season to adapt.

Spursfan

Club Legend
Mar 30, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
I like Shoe. I think he has, really has, the potential to be like a Harry Taylor.
But he hasn't kicked on. He is 23 now and been on the list since 2008 draft.

I liken it to Hawkins. In the early years the bloke had all the potential to be the player he is now but it looked like he would never make it. He was always running around being timid and stand-offish. Something clicked in the bloke and said to him that he is good enough and he belonged. Since then he hasn't looked back. Once he realised that he is a Man and that he belongs, that he can throw his weight around and demand respect as a footballer then he actually become a quality footballer (for the record I reckon Patten is like Hawkins).

Shoey is at that point. He needs to realise that he belongs, that he demands respect as a footballer. Throw his weight around, play excellent games of football that the whole football world is expecting that he his capable of (even the trolls).

He is running out of time to do that

You're comparing him to the wrong players , Schoenmakers is never going to be a Tom Hawkins dominating the forward line with his considerable bulk. For mine he can be a good running CHB with someone else taking the other opposition's number 1 power forward (hopefully James Frawley in years to come).

Hawkers

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2005
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
You're comparing him to the wrong players , Schoenmakers is never going to be a Tom Hawkins dominating the forward line with his considerable bulk. For mine he can be a good running CHB with someone else taking the other opposition's number 1 power forward (hopefully James Frawley in years to come).

It's not a like for like comparison.
It's a state of mind

Hawkinspired

Premiership Player
Sep 2, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He gets more opportunity to, because he plays forward more. There's no way Hale can run like McEvoy can though, and get back and take a defensive, contested mark. He is currently is a liability, because he can't run out of sight in a fog, and has hands of concrete.

On McEvoy. I wonder how long it takes a player to go from being in an ordinary system, with ordinary coaches and a rubbish culture to a club like ours and fit in and succeed. Maybe it will take a season to adapt.

I remember when Cameron Bruce came over he made comment about how the training program was far more advanced than Melbourne's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back