NEAFL- 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

M
Sharks employed a bully attitude trying to push the belconnen boys around as well as a lot of cheap shots behind the play. They started a few push and shove melees at the end of the second and third quarters. They also seemed happy to bottle the game up and play an inside, contested brand of football which belconnen were just much better at on the day. I think if they used their apparent speed and focused on the football rather than trying to put their opposition off their game they may have had a much more competitive result. Belconnen's intensity and pressure was just far too good for the sharks, especially in a dominant 3rd quarter where Southport actually looked outclassed by the magpies slick ball movement and hard contested ball winning. It was a terrific result for our boys who well and truly out played there northern opponents.
Nor west, must have found their plan B. Geniuses .

.................FOOTY TIPPING AFTER ROUND 20
………………………………After......Round......After
……………………………...Rd 19........20........Rd 20

blackdog32.........................95............6.........101
Dogwarna...........................95............6.........101
chikka ferguson...................94............5.........99
nqtragic.............................90............3.........93
NorWest.............................90...........3..........93
billybunter...........................88...........5.........93
Lifes a beach 1....................88............4........92
justabaraker........................88...........3.........91
stuyd1...............................87...........3.........90
brewser..............................81...........5.........86

The inside contested ball is what the sharks are very good at, there outside run is where all there injured blokes are..shreeve has been injured for close to 2 mths I reckon but they keep taping him together and too his credit he keeps fronting up..a fantastic effort by belconnen as I firmly believed the team the sharks took south was still good enough to get the chocolates..last week v the lions my have finished the sharks as the team the lions put out was one we r used to seeing in march more so than april..
Maybe if Southport brought down a team of footballers rather than a team of snipers they would have gotten the chocolates.
A lot of credit needs to be given to Belconnen though, even with 4 U18 players with only than 3 games experience between them, they showed more composure and concentration than their more fancied opponents. Also the first Eastern side to beat a Northern side this year.

Maybe if Southport brought down a team of footballers rather than a team of snipers they would have gotten the chocolates.
A lot of credit needs to be given to Belconnen though, even with 4 U18 players with only than 3 games experience between them, they showed more composure and concentration than their more fancied opponents. Also the first Eastern side to beat a Northern side this year.

A nice final NEAFL achievement for the Magpies to hang their hat on. It's just a pity that it took so long this season for Belco to find their feet as a team and play good football. I'm sure they'll look back on the season and wonder what might have been if they'd played the first half of the season like they have the last 6-8wks. Would have been nice to have another ACT side pushing the QLDers during the season

"Players Used' is almost the dominating stat in a clubs success for the season - obviously injury is one issue but it also reflects poor form and the requirement to rotate players in to gauge their ability to play at NEAFL level & lack of ability to get continuity in your side week to week.

See the numbers below and then match them to current ladder position - I didnt bother with AFL clubs as their stats are corrupted with top up situation.

NT Thunder - 2nd (35)
Aspley - 4th (32)
Redland - 5th (33)
Ainslie - 6th (31)
Syd Uni - 7th (36)
Southport - 8th (35)
SydHills Eagles 9th (39)
Belconnen 11th (43)
Qybn 12th (42)
Eastlake - 13th (42)

My Eagles are well and truly at tipping point also - think anywhere on or over 35-36 you are pushing your luck & you will find the same formula works at AFL level also - if you are low 30s or below its 'hello' finals time

ZZZ - the numbers you used above are a little bit of a false picture. The Eagles have only used 35 players in 2014 and after checking in the same place as you, I think you will find that the numbers on footyweb include players named as emergencies and not used. Sometimes the person responsible for finalising scores etc doesn't delete the emergencies out. So using the 35 as your ideal number, you can rest easy that the Eagles aren't over your tipping point. I would suggest that it would be the same for all other clubs.

IMO a clubs success can hinge more so on the availability of their top 10 players and not how many players they have "used'.

Well done on your win against the Sharks, it is a somewhat strange comment regarding snipers when you had 3 umpires on the ground and others scatted around it, most of them would have been from your neck of the woods with no reports that I have heard of - Southport play it hard but fair as the old style play is not tolerated in the game these days - If you are talking about players having to earn their possessions then Southport do this pretty well, but always within the rules of the game, this is really one of the only bastions of football as it once was left in the game these days, I seem to remember a side in the Magpies colors try the same thing in round 1 this year against a handy opposition where they came off second best on the park and on the scoreboard - Good luck to them next year.

Well done on your win against the Sharks, it is a somewhat strange comment regarding snipers when you had 3 umpires on the ground and others scatted around it, most of them would have been from your neck of the woods with no reports that I have heard of - Southport play it hard but fair as the old style play is not tolerated in the game these days - If you are talking about players having to earn their possessions then Southport do this pretty well, but always within the rules of the game, this is really one of the only bastions of football as it once was left in the game these days, I seem to remember a side in the Magpies colors try the same thing in round 1 this year against a handy opposition where they came off second best on the park and on the scoreboard - Good luck to them next year.

Billy, I've got to say a lot of the acts were 50m off the ball or cheap punches in the melees that Southport kept trying to instigate. There was one clear moment where a magpie player was jogging off the ground and was hit heavily from his blind side and blatantly taken out. The three umpires were watching the play which was 70 metres away and as a result didn't witness the act. This was one of numerous incidences which were well outside both the rules and the spirit of the game. It was disappointing that that was their approach but made it all that much sweeter sending them on their long trudge home with their tails between their legs feeling like heroes for cheap shotting especially our young kids but knowing that they were purely outclassed by a lowly Canberra side. Funny how none of these 'heroes' tried their cheap rough up tactics with our big ruckman...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's happen to Aspleys ruckman Pettitt .i noticed he was in the best players one week and has not played the last three games but he is not listed as injured.

Last edited:
I hope all of you/us punters out there are not relying on our under informed scribes who write their previews on the NEAFL website, when we read that Aspley are resting their midfield guns. When Liam Dawson has been then reported to be omitted due to concussion and Ben Haire reported to be omitted due to illness, if these two where even actual midfielders at the club and in the side, it would be just great (I am sure not) to have a rest from footy this weekend sitting on the porcelain truck seat rotating front and back for Ben and not knowing the difference from Saturday to Sunday for Liam with the odd chuck from time to time - Surely as supporters and punters reading the official news story from the NEAFL we deserve a little more professional reporting than this crap!!!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back