Offer To Essendon Players

Remove this Banner Ad

Good luck with that.

Why should a deal be predicated on dropping the Court case for which judgment has been reserved?

Good luck with that.

Why should a deal be predicated on dropping the Court case for which judgment has been reserved?

It's ASADA making sure they get their 'minimum offer' on the record, to guide the AFL tribunal that will ultimately set the penalties. The Court case probably nullifies the ASADA/WADA definition of 'significant assistance', and proceeding with it will mean that Essendon players no longer qualify for the maximum discount on their penalties (*if* the show-cause and infraction notices stick).

Essendon are obviously still entitled to pursue zero suspensions (and I'm sure they will)... but the stakes are higher now. If the AFL tribunal tries to impose 6-month penalties, ASADA will be able to appeal, point back to this (rejected) offer and say "No, that 'significant co-operation' ship has sailed... 12 months minimum". And if it ever gets to that point, ASADA would probably win.

Roy Masters. It's all bullshit from his earlier articles.

If true though they have to ADMIT to being duped into taking banned substances. If they do that I'd like to see how Hird et al will escape much severer sanctions should ASADA chose to issue them infraction notices.

Christ, imagine if the players accepted, then ASADA used the admission of guilt to punish the coaches/staff, and then WADA came in over the top with the banhammer and appealed the player sentences to make them worse. So many permutations should any players accept.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's ASADA making sure they get their 'minimum offer' on the record, to guide the AFL tribunal that will ultimately set the penalties. The Court case probably nullifies the ASADA/WADA definition of 'significant assistance', and proceeding with it will mean that Essendon players no longer qualify for the maximum discount on their penalties (*if* the show-cause and infraction notices stick).

Essendon are obviously still entitled to pursue zero suspensions (and I'm sure they will)... but the stakes are higher now. If the AFL tribunal tries to impose 6-month penalties, ASADA will be able to appeal, point back to this (rejected) offer and say "No, that 'significant co-operation' ship has sailed... 12 months minimum". And if it ever gets to that point, ASADA would probably win.

Meanwhile Ahmed Saad keeps serving his lengthy ban whilst these players run around.

Meanwhile Ahmed Saad keeps serving his lengthy ban whilst these players run around.

:(

The sentences for such minor indiscretions like his are so disproportionate. A lot of things with the WADA and ASADA code's are a bit out of whack. But at the end of the day I suppose they have to be; they have a duty to prevent anyone from exploiting any loopholes in it, and to make the punishments severe enough to guarnatee that athletes are ultra vigilant, in order to ensure clean sports.

Still doesn't make it right in his case though, IMO.

It's a rather odd article.

If it's true it smacks of either ASADA having a weak case and bluffing the players for an admission, or ASADA for some reason deciding to be nice to the players.

I did like the comment above that it's simply telegraphing their offer to the AFL in the event that penalties must be handed down.

It's become a game of bluff now. Pleading guilty will probably send Hird down in flames and force Essendon to change their whole narrative. That would be a very bitter pill for Little to swa... I mean, ingest :)

:(

The sentences for such minor indiscretions like his are so disproportionate. A lot of things with the WADA and ASADA code's are a bit out of whack. But at the end of the day I suppose they have to be; they have a duty to prevent anyone from exploiting any loopholes in it, and to make the punishments severe enough to guarnatee that athletes are ultra vigilant, in order to ensure clean sports.

Still doesn't make it right in his case though, IMO.

If Essendon players don't actually miss games the whole thing would be a farce.

Leaves one wondering
ASADA appeal for an increased ban for Saad & treat those with no resources (mottram) like s**t
But then are really nice to efc and NRL in offering maximum reductions despite having 'gold stamped' ironclad SCNs personally signed by the holy trinity (downes, young and the other chap)

What a load of crap this is becoming. McDevitt is likely to make a bigger arsehat of himself than he did the weekend after SCNs were given to efc players (look I don't know what the burden of proof is I have only been in the job......)

He may end up looking more foolish than aurora and that would be something :)

EFC won't give in unless they are pushed to by the AFL surely. Surely. Will some players split from the pack? This will get interesting and likely nasty either way?

Pretty hard to argue with a positive test. And there is absolutely safety in numbers. The fact that we're talking about dozens of Essendon (and ex-Essendon) players is obviously a huge consideration in the ASADA/WADA thought process - they are basically trying to head off the immense pressure that will be brought to bear (by the AFL, and every other interested party) in favour of minimum penalties, irrespective of what such a large group of players *might* be found guilty of.

I'm not saying I agree with the approach. But it suggests to me that ASADA are very confident, and that this 'get-out' offer is their best attempt to manage the wrecking-ball they think they're about to swing through the Essendon list. I think most of us would prefer to see Essendon (players) and ASADA go toe-to-toe, no deals, and if Essendon (players) lose, they pay a heavy price. But politically, it probably can't happen that way.

It's becoming very clear that ASADA have been instructed by the Minister (instructed by Cabinet?) to bring closure to this mess whatever the price.

I think we have attribute different meanings to "very clear".

It could just as easily be WADA putting pressure on.
It could just as easily be ASADA trying to dodge potentially losing the court case.
It could just as easily be ASADA giving the players one last chance at a smaller sentance.
It could just as easily be ASADA wanting it over and done with.
It could just as easily be ASADA offering it, premeditating that they wont take it, and thus making sure they CANT get the discounts later on.

There are a lot of potential explanations behind this offer (if it is legit), just as there are a lot of potential explanations as to wtf actually happened at Essendon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back