manboob

10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Feb 11, 2009
#rompingwins
Who the hell is in the Geelong selection committee? Smedts played alright last week but he still can't get a game. Still persisting with Varcoe who would be better at touch footy
Smedts was terrible. Varcoe - no comment.

Who the hell is in the Geelong selection committee? Smedts played alright last week but he still can't get a game. Still persisting with Varcoe who would be better at touch footy
Who were you watching?
Smedts played last week, was subbed out.
Varcoe is great at touch footy. Is that what Sat pm will be like?

Many Cat fans will agree with you about TV's selection, I still want him in coming into September.

Noodleman

Sep 22, 2013
Because let's be honest can Varcoe do anything half as good as veteran James Kelly? Besides a bit of pace and a few run down from behind tackles

Kelly is playing.
Totally different players.
Hoping TV plays forward this week, wing to forward, NOT in defence.

Noodleman

Sep 22, 2013
He can't compete on a wing with hill and smith. What is his role? Very confused on this. Christensen and motlop are in great form. Scott still creaming his pants over the gf trav played 3 years ago? Surely someone else from the vfl side gets a go?

AM

The standard you walk past is the one you accept
Aug 18, 2006
Here there and everywhere
Kelly is playing.
Totally different players.
Hoping TV plays forward this week, wing to forward, NOT in defence.
Thinking outside the square. I wouldn't mind in this game if he was given the role of running with Smith. See how a dedicated role on a key outside opposition player concentrates his mind.

Jun 30, 2013
Oz Bball, Equest, Net, Tenn, Voll
Thinking outside the square. I wouldn't mind in this game if he was given the role of running with Smith. See how a dedicated role on a key outside opposition player concentrates his mind.
Leaving myself open to potshots but think you may have hit on something here, think Trav could do well in this situation..

Sep 15, 2005

Someone definitely needs to be keeping an extra eye out for Smith, and Hill too for that matter. Might as well be Varcoe.

Mar 6, 2014
Yep. I really hope they're telling Kersten to get on his bike and lead into space to draw Dawks defenders away from Tommy. Cats upfield *have* to pass to Kersto if the defenders don't go with him.
And keep taking those shots from 50m out. It worked well over the past couple of weeks, with Mackie, then Thurlow contributing in this way. Duncan's another who loves to load up and kick from that distance. Or if it's too congested around Tom, get him to move out from goal a bit and pop the ball over his head for Mots or Christo - or Stokesy- someone!!!- to pounce on and snag one.

Sep 15, 2005
Thurlow survives! :)

We can't win the flag with this forward line. :(

my thoughts exactly when I saw the teams, a bit surprised that there wasn't some kind of move made with regards to Kersten/Brown/Walker.
cutting things very fine for any kind of turn around; Kersten needs to fire this week - if not, the MC have to have the guts to pull the trigger against Brisbane by introducing either Brown or Walker into the equation; it becomes blind faith otherwise imo ..

happy to have another look at Thurlow against good opposition too, he's really earned his stripes ..

Lots of hype around Thurlow…3 possessions … a goal from a Caddy handball and, dare I say it, Varcoe drawing an opponent away from his run to goal, then a miss from running into an open goal and then a clanger. Not sure thats "earning his stripes".

I like the kid, and I think he could be something, but I am yet to be convinced he is what we need in the finals.

We need to see Kersten impose himself more…thats far more critical to our finals success than Thurlow getting a run.

Lots of hype around Thurlow…3 possessions … a goal from a Caddy handball and, dare I say it, Varcoe drawing an opponent away from his run to goal, then a miss from running into an open goal and then a clanger. Not sure thats "earning his stripes".

I like the kid, and I think he could be something, but I am yet to be convinced he is what we need in the finals.

We need to see Kersten impose himself more…thats far more critical to our finals success than Thurlow getting a run.

Having watched Geelong games this year I reckon the reason he's in the side is because he can break the lines with his run & carry ability and he's also showed he can be handy player off the half back flank.

Oct 5, 2013
Having watched Geelong games this year I reckon the reason he's in the side is because he can break the lines with his run & carry ability and he's also showed he can be handy player off the half back flank.

he is also very confident in his ability. One of very few players I have seen coming through try and work their way through a congested situation. Enright had that quality from day 1, Guthrie took some time to find it but now has it.
Thurlow also has an exceptional vertical leap. This is something that will allow him to play taller than what he is in order to match it with such players as Gunston who are about 194cm in stature.

Isn't that the point of playing him? Hasn't quite earned his stripes, but there's only one way to do that. Sub to Varcoe pleaseee

To a degree, but finals are a whole new ball game. The pressure is so much greater. I think 2015 will be his year.

The call for Varcoe to be replaced won't happen. He needs to lift too, but he hasn't been as bad as some make out IMO. ITs all in the eye of the beholder i guess.

Jun 2, 2006
Point Cook
Supersonics, Greenbay

Smedts had 13 possessions, at only 60% or thereabouts. I think I remember seeing a stat on the broadcast, at the time Smedts had one good disposal, then a turnover. So he had 8 at the time, with four turnovers.

That's good?

Lots of very good VFL form too.

cynical

Dec 18, 2009
Kersten is shot, this is the same stupidity as last year persisting with Blicavs/Vardy over West for finals and not having a contingency plan for an injured Hawkins.

She'll be right I guess...

Oct 31, 2013
LEEDS
Kersten is shot, this is the same stupidity as last year persisting with Blicavs/Vardy over West for finals and not having a contingency plan for an injured Hawkins.

Looks like you had the loaded gun.

More time supporting less time whinging.

We keep winning, so it comes down to it why tinker with a winning formula. Before you say they aren't convincing, a win is a win, and mostly our first halves have been quite good football.

AS you would probably expect, i'll defend Kersten.. to a point. His influence has not been great but I reckon he is adjusting to the game too. That doesn't necessarily mean that I think he should still be there - but given its and 8 for him I can see the persistence. He needs to show something however.

He has done some nice things defensively and also gathering the ball and dishing it off that are not reflected in stats, but his main task is to kick goals - or at the very least provide a contest or diversion for Hawk.

He has seen time on McPharlin and Jamison in the last weeks who have toweled him up - he's gotta learn somewhere.

Im not expecting too much and i said all along his highs would be met by the lows. Calls for his replacement are pretty much on par with Hawkins back in the day. Thing is, with 2 games out are Brown or Walker going to provide much difference now? Id actually like to see Hawk, Brown and Kersten but hat will be for another day. Hopefully we see Kersten leading and demanding he ball around the 50. We know he can kick them.

As of the Hawks, im surprised a bit at Ceglar. Thought McEvoy would be a bigger body and thus more of an obstacle for Blitz and Hmac. Perhaps Ceglar is more mobile and Hale will be the main guy. WE might be able to exploit Blitz on Hale….

Althought we seem to have a habit of making Hale look like 211 sometimes…

GO Catters

Shot as he's not kicking 2-3 a game for a 8 game player?

what did you expect from him exactly?

He had 2 a game for the first 3…..

GO Catters

Two Planks

May 14, 2012
Very happy that Thurlow stayed in and I just hope he doesn't start as the sub.

A little upset that Jed Bews was dropped as I think he is the "type" of player we lack in our back line. If we play Freo in a final he would have to play on either of Ballantyne or Walters. Would have thought Bruest or Puopolo would have been a good match up for him this week.

macmate

Hawthorn Hawks - Smith and Savage 2011 Player Sponsor
Dec 16, 2008
Caulfield North
Benfica, Liverpool, 49ers
I'm looking forward to another epic game with you guys but most importantly, no injuries for either side. It looks like we will be carrying Victorian hopes for the cup this year.

Our teams have put on the most exciting spectacle of games between two teams in recent history and no matter what the score at quarter time, half time or three quarter time, i am sure by the final siren we will all have had another few years taken off our lives.

Good luck! (but not too much of course)

bulletproof

Oct 3, 2003

I don't think too many people are saying he should be locked into the final 22. I think most people think it is absolutely ridiculous that he has only played around 3 1/2 quarters of senior football for the year.

There are two games to give him some senior experience before the finals start, unless he does something amazing in those two weeks he will most likely be the player to make way for Johnson. I am fine with that, I think it is highly unlikely that he replace the more experienced Varcoe.

Also little bit disingenuous to give Varcoe credit for a goal that was swept through off a step from 50 meters, he still had a bit to do when he got the ball.