No Oppo Supporters CAS hands down guilty verdict - Players appealing - Dank shot - no opposition - (cont in pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe one last roll of the dice for ASADA. Feels like the walls are closing in on them with a furious Alan Jones (decent political clout) on the airwaves drumming up support for a senate inquiry. Middleton's ruling could be terminal for them.
There's still no guarantee that the ruling will go our way. Who knows what pressure Middleton is under to deliver??

When you give someone 48 hours to accept the "Deal of a Lifetime", and advise another party to accept a similar deal "before" a Federal Court Judge's findings - or the "deal" will no longer be on offer, you are earnestly praying that someone is gullible enough to fall for this blatent ruse.

Thank **** the EFC had the financial resources to take this bogus ADA on, in an impartial setting. Proven to be puppets of a crumbling ALP, and a gung-ho AFL, ASADA enjoyed the limelight of fleeting relevance. But it neglected the issue that made them relevant. Evidence of doping violations. Doh!!

McDoodle is trying to write cheques his organisation has no guarantee of ever being able to honour.

I suspect the ex-cop will soon be an ex-ASADA CEO. This has been mismanaged appallingly. I don't think Middleton will be pleased with this development.

When you give someone 48 hours to accept the "Deal of a Lifetime", and advise another party to accept a similar deal "before" a Federal Court Judge's findings - or the "deal" will no longer be on offer, you are earnestly praying that someone is gullible enough to fall for this blatent ruse.

Thank **** the EFC had the financial resources to take this bogus ADA on, in an impartial setting. Proven to be puppets of a crumbling ALP, and a gung-ho AFL, ASADA enjoyed the limelight of fleeting relevance. But it neglected the issue that made them relevant. Evidence of doping violations. Doh!!

McDoodle is trying to write cheques his organisation has no guarantee of ever being able to honour.

I suspect the ex-cop will soon be an ex-ASADA CEO. This has been mismanaged appallingly. I don't think Middleton will be pleased with this development.

Why is ASADA putting this document to the CEO of the AFL at this stage? They surely should only be putting these douments to the players who are affected by the proposed deals? Isn't it meant to be confidential? And who is leaking this material to Masters? Maybe the ACC should have another look at the supposedly ACC satisfied leak free process.

Hopefully it's enough for Middleton to give his ruling in our favour.

Why is ASADA putting this document to the CEO of the AFL at this stage? They surely should only be putting these douments to the players who are affected by the proposed deals? Isn't it meant to be confidential? And who is leaking this material to Masters? Maybe the ACC should have another look at the supposedly ACC satisfied leak free process.
I think an admission under oath by Hird, and this development in the saga, are grounds to re-open the examination into breaches of non-discretionary information handling.

Do we really want to use Alan Jones as a credible person to use as a quotable journalist? Yes, he says what we like to hear, but the guy is hardly a person that I'd put my house on. If we don't like others using Rebecca Wilson as a person with authority on this subject, should we really use Alan Jones as one?

Hopefully it's enough for Middleton to give his ruling in our favour.
Probably not imo, but certainly would reinforce any prejudicial thoughts he may have been leaning toward. It's certainly against the spirit of his courtroom communication to ASADA, that they place a stay of execution on the SCN's.

It seems fairly underhanded that ASADA wish to pre-empt any ruling on his part, considering their "model litigant" status. That would have wasted three days of cross examinations and submissions, and the truckload of documents he was expected to wade through - before handing down a "considered" finding.

No-one likes having their time and attention wasted. Black mark against ASADA, but Middleton won't let it sway his judgement from a point of law. His ruling must be able to stand scrutiny based solely on legal standing.

Three things to discuss

1) I imagine that the AFL will be interested in this deal, and I am interested how much pressure will be put on the players to accept the proposed deal. And it will be more appealing with the new rule that players can rejoin the club after 75% of their sentence - So this means the beginning of February.

2) Fahey is rabbitting on about the unsuitability of backdated penalties. he mentioned that it worked for Tyson Guy because all his records were annulled and he paid back prizemoney earned - Of course Fahey fails to show this is why the WADA code is unsuitable for team based sports - It's so blindingly obvious.

3) Possibly if Cronulla players accept the deal, that means ASADA has got some job satisfaction, and may back off EFC.

Three things to discuss

1) I imagine that the AFL will be interested in this deal, and I am interested how much pressure will be put on the players to accept the proposed deal. And it will be more appealing with the new rule that players can rejoin the club after 75% of their sentence - So this means the beginning of February.

2) Fahey is rabbitting on about the unsuitability of backdated penalties. he mentioned that it worked for Tyson guys because all his records were annulled and he paid back prizemoney earned - Of course Fahey fails to show this is why the WADA code is unsuitable for team based sports - It's so blindingly obvious.
Only cited 2 things?

“NRL players were effectively offered a three-month ban, with their year-long sanction backdated to November, 2013. Ironically, the AFL and its supporters in Canberra precipitated this. The ASADA Act allows for administrative delays in bringing a case to a conclusion to mitigate a sentence. The joint AFL/ASADA investigation, promoted by senior public servants in the government of Julia Gillard, shifted ASADA's already stretched resources away from Sydney to Melbourne, meaning the Cronulla investigation was effectively placed on hold.

The AFL, by bullying ASADA into producing evidence for an interim report to punish the club, coach James Hird and other Essendon staff, drew resources away from the NRL. The co-operation of WADA is mandatory for all discounted bans and McDevitt may have a difficult task convincing the Montreal-based world body to accept the proposed Essendon ban of six months”.

Full Article:Caution: Biased Age article.

Maybe the third consideration could be that Fandy et al - by pressuring ASADA, have effectively halved the potential sanctions offered to NRL players. The "alleged" diversion of resources by the AFL sporting body has meant EFC players are in the gun for additional suspension time, due to "administrative priority", if found guilty of a doping violation.

(Drumroll for troll statement). Surely grounds for legal action against the AFL. If they just left well enough alone, the EFC could have been the recipients of the discounted deal. Surely ASADA would have investigated on their back door-step first (NRL), before sashaying South to investigate our lot. The administrative delay should have then been grounds for McDopey's "once in a lifetime" deal, but probably would have given EFC only 48 hours to consider it.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Time for reflection on my previous post - Point 1 - I can see wedge politics being played at their finest. Unless Justice Middleton's decision in the Federal Court is a total wipeout of ASADA, the AFL will jump on this deal like kids in a candy store. It will solve two problems for the AFL - One finally put this saga to bed and of course rid themselves of Hird. The AFL will pressure the players with inducements to accept the deal - Things like ensuring their wages are paid etc during the suspension - The AFL will pressure the club to influence the players in backroom deals with the club in terms of fixturing etc.

This scenario is a strong possibility.

I would like to see an unequivocal state from the club telling ASADA and AFL to * off.

The simple fact is that if we take a deal, we admit to taking drugs, therefore we deserve the penalty.

I would be one very disillusioned supporter if it's proven/admitted that drugs were used after the last 18mths. I have supported the club in the blind belief that we did not knowingly take any illegal substance.
If we take the deal, it makes a fool of me and that belief.
I would take that rather personally.
I would be most pissed at EFC for either lying to supporters, or caving in to pressure.

I hope we tell the to * off and continue to fight for our innocence, even if it means the consequences are more severe should we fail.

Do we really want to use Alan Jones as a credible person to use as a quotable journalist? Yes, he says what we like to hear, but the guy is hardly a person that I'd put my house on. If we don't like others using Rebecca Wilson as a person with authority on this subject, should we really use Alan Jones as one?
I don't think that idiot is any authority but he's said what we all think.

The AFL and ASADA trying to play let's make a deal with us again :rolleyes:

If I ever hear ASADA referred to as a model litigant again...

...so help me I'LL SPEW UP!!

I can't stand Alan Jones or anything he believes in, generally, but at least he isn't hiding the fact that when he speaks it's an OPINION. Not like Wilson and Wilson et al who report opinions as facts.

GW_calling_normal.jpg
Gerard Whateley@GerardWhateley · 45m
Gill McLachlan was on phone to Ben McDevitt this morning. He says no fresh offer tabled from ASADA through AFL.

Not sure if its beleivable, but id say it makes more sense then ASADA offering a new deal in the middle of a court case. Latest article id say is just click bait.

Time for reflection on my previous post - Point 1 - I can see wedge politics being played at their finest. Unless Justice Middleton's decision in the Federal Court is a total wipeout of ASADA, the AFL will jump on this deal like kids in a candy store. It will solve two problems for the AFL - One finally put this saga to bed and of course rid themselves of Hird. The AFL will pressure the players with inducements to accept the deal - Things like ensuring their wages are paid etc during the suspension - The AFL will pressure the club to influence the players in backroom deals with the club in terms of fixturing etc.

This scenario is a strong possibility.

Will NEVER happen.

You are viewing this entire thing in very black and white terms, when, I think we all know, that it is anything but.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back