Unpopular Musical Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not 100 percent sure whether this is unpopular but.....

Musicians/bands/artists etc are extremely overexposed with things at the moment like Facebook, tumblr, Instagram, etc. I know these days people need to sell themselves and try new avenues, but the music and art is left with no layers after a while. I would prefer to know nothing about a band and let the music speak for itself.

In Utero is so much better than Nevermind..

YES!.

My unpopular (or not...) opinion today is that I hate how people barrack for bands like they are football clubs.

"Mate Oasis beat Blur free nil on the weekend...."

Musicians/bands/artists etc are extremely overexposed with things at the moment like Facebook, tumblr, Instagram, etc. I know these days people need to sell themselves and try new avenues, but the music and art is left with no layers after a while. I would prefer to know nothing about a band and let the music speak for itself.
I'm going to piggyback on this.

As a member of an aspiring band (yeah cause that's going to work out :p) I hate that we have to post things on facebook every other day or else people forget about us. I hate this idea that we should be constantly updating FB, twitter, instagram and all these other stupid mediums in order to connect with the fanbase. I would much rather just play shows, talk with the fans afterwards, and record some music. That's what it's about, not constant updates of social media.

PREACH BROTHER, PREACH! If they didn't make the cultural impact they did, another band would have. The world was ready to kick off its shoes, do a bunch of drugs, and leave the widespread conservatism at the door, and The Beatles were there to help them do it. A band that was at the right place at the right time if I've ever seen one.

to be fair to the beatles they had already made it before they got experimental and 'helped them do it'

YES!.

My unpopular (or not...) opinion today is that I hate how people barrack for bands like they are football clubs.

"Mate Oasis beat Blur free nil on the weekend...."

Totally.

Then you have band competitions like Unearthed, Battle of the Bands competitions, Uni comps based on how many fans you can bring etc

So you're quantifying something which is inherently subjective and all these little levers contribute to creating that talent vacuum which filters in artists which can be commodified - ultimately continuing the profit cycle.

The Velvet Underground should have been 10x more famous than they ended up being.

That's not really an unpopular opinion is it?

Maybe not. Not a single one of my friends even know who they are though. Maybe I need better friends.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Neon Bible is better than Reflektor
I didn't really "get" Good Kid, M.A.A.D City
+1 to the above comment about Animal Collective. Not a fan.
Jack White should have stuck to The White Stripes.

Oh, and Sonic Youth is just noise.

I completely get people not liking Sonic Youth but Washing Machine is probably my favourite song ever.

In all honesty, I actually really enjoy being on that level with bands. Not all of them, not most of them, but the ones I like. I got into a lot of bands through liking them in interviews. It might be shallow but I wouldn't have dug the music otherwise. I think when you're a teenager and impressionable and needing someone to tell you It's Okay then that becomes as important as the songs. It's like this package and vehicle. Vampire Weekend are really interesting to listen to. I like hearing Damon Albarn talk even if he's rude and talks over people, he still taught me arrogance is okay if you're a nice and decent person. As a kid, Bloc Party's presence meant the world to me and some of those social media postings, seeing their Myspace bulletins, are some clear memories I'm happy I have.

Neon Bible is better than Reflektor
I didn't really "get" Good Kid, M.A.A.D City
+1 to the above comment about Animal Collective. Not a fan.
Jack White should have stuck to The White Stripes.

Oh, and Sonic Youth is just noise.
Teen Age Riot is still a really, really good song. I can't engage with the rest of their stuff, though. Probably being too fast on that, though. I didn't get that Kendrick album either.

I completely get people not liking Sonic Youth but Washing Machine is probably my favourite song ever.

Teen Age Riot is still a really, really good song. I can't engage with the rest of their stuff, though. Probably being too fast on that, though. I didn't get that Kendrick album either.

To be honest, I was just quoting Juno haha!

But thank you both for the recommends!

Cream is the best 60s UK band of all time, better than the Stones, Beatles and The Who.

They were called Cream for a reason, they were the cream of British 60s rock, the power trio to end all power trios.

Is that really unpopular amongst Arcade Fire fans? They are a much more popular band now than when Neon Bible was released, so obviously Reflektor was going to receive more attention. I don't think many people would rate Reflektor as their best work though

Wait is that what I said??? I meant NB > Funeral. Oh dear. Must fix. Reflektor is my favourite of theirs!

New Adventures in Hi-Fi is REM's best album.

REM got the balance right with that album, halfway between the too soft radio friendly Out of Time and Automatic for the People and the full on grunge rock of Monster.

Fantastic album and the last album Bill Berry recorded with them.

Peak REM.

I swear I'm the only Arcade Fire fan I know, who's favourite album is The Suburbs

It's the only album of theirs that matters to me TBH.

In Utero is so much better than Nevermind

Yes.

That being said, 'Daisy' by Brand New is the album that 'In Utero' should have been.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back