US Open 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Qualifying draws are out heres who the Aussies got:

Mitchell Vs Bemelmans. Cant see Ben winning that one.
Bolt Vs (4) Bagnis. Bolt has been playing on the clay in Europe expect a loss here.
Duckworth Vs Michon. Should win that one with not to much trouble.
Kokkinakis Vs Mektic. Tough one. Kokk should win it though.
Reid Vs (9) Gojowczyk. Tough draw for Matt. Cant see him winning.
Smith Vs Gomez. Nice draw for John. Should get the win.

Barty Vs Lertcheewakarn. Tough to say how this will go. Ash hasn't played since Wimbledon.
(6) Rogowska Vs Barrois. I can never predict Liv's matches. She really should win though.
An Rodionova Vs De Vroome. Another singles loss for Rodi.
Gavrilova Vs Majeric. Dasha coming back from a long term injury. Cant see her winning that.
Ar Rodionova Vs (31) Vickery. Arina is in such bad form shes not winning this.

Obiovusly, Kokkansis and Duckworth are our chances. Kokkansis has a tough draw but they are players he can beat, Duckworth should be at least making the final round you would hope.

A pity Rogowska couldn't make the main draw.

Just realised I saw Kokanakis play at the 2013 Hopman Cup as a fill in for injured players. He played against Djokovic and Ivanovic in the mixed doubles.

He looked like just a kid. Amazing how much he's grown in the last 18 months or so.

Arina Rodionova won surprisingly against Vickery. Kokkinakis won as well despite a mini choke going from a set and a break up to being a break down in the 3rd. Was interesting seeing Hernandez beat Soeda as well.
Hoping particularly for Liv and Ash to win today, Rogowska wasn't that far away from the top 100 before the cut off.

Last edited:
Aussies --

Bernard Tomic vs. Dustin Brown - very tough start.

Sam Groth vs. Albert Ramos-Vinolas (ranked 96 in the world)

Matt Ebden vs. Tobias Kamke

Nick Krygios vs. Mikhail Youzhny (horror start for Nick)

Lleyton Hewitt vs. Tomas Berdych (ouch, ouch, ouch)

Marinko Matosevic vs. Roger Federer (.....)

They've officially got something against us. :(

Aussies --

Sam Stosur vs. Lauren Davis (Another hard-hitting American. Possible fourth round against Serena)

Casey Dellacqua vs. Patricia Mayer-Achleitner (in the same quarter as Serena)

Jarmila Gajdosova vs. Madison Keys (Has a bright future. Don't see Jarmila winning this one)

Last edited:
Favourites --

Potential men’s quarters by seed:

Djokovic-Murray
Wawrinka-Raonic
Ferrer-Berdych
Federer-Dimitrov

Djokovic vs. Schwartzman
Federer vs. Matosevic
Murray vs. Haase
Wawrinka vs. Vesely

So, basically Federer has the softest draw of anyone. Doesn't have to face Djokovic, Tsonga, Murray, Wawrinka or Raonic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Qualifying ---

Arina Rodionova out in the third day of qualies.

Thanasi currently in a tight third setter against Nishioka.

Duckworth just started his match against Escobedo.

Barty, Rogowska, Ana Rodionova and Gavrilova still to come later on today.

Djokovic:

1R: Schwartzman
2R: Muller/Mathieu
3R: Querrey/Lu/Garcia-Lopez
4R: Kohlschreiber/Isner
QF: Murray/Tsonga
SF: Wawrinka/Raonic

Federer:

1R: Matosevic
2R: Ramos/Groth
3R: Karlovic/Melzer
4R: Fognini/Bautista Agut
QF: Dimitrov/Gasquet/Monfils
SF: Ferrer/Berdych

Murray:

1R: Haase
2R: Stepanek
3R: Verdasco
4R: Tsonga/Benneteau
QF: Djokovic
SF: Wawrinka/Raonic

Ferrer:

1R: Dzumhur
2R: Tomic/Brown
3R: Simon
4R: Cilic/Anderson/Janowicz
QF: Berdych/Gulbis/Lopez
SF: Federer

Well, that was a good US Open, see you next tourney, what a horror draw.

And some poor results in qualies, Duckworth losing to a guy ranked 500 and something

Aussies --

Bernard Tomic vs. Dustin Brown - very tough start.

Sam Groth vs. Albert Ramos-Vinolas (ranked 96 in the world)

Matt Ebden vs. Tobias Kamke

Nick Krygios vs. Mikhail Youzhny (horror start for Nick)

Lleyton Hewitt vs. Tomas Berdych (ouch, ouch, ouch)

Marinko Matosevic vs. Roger Federer (.....)

They've officially got something against us. :(
I don't think it's that bad. Brown is too aggressive for Tomic so I'd be surprised if he wins that. I don't know anything about Ramos-Vinolas but Groth's power will trouble a lot of guys in the back end of the 100. Kamke won't like Ebden's style of play but...it's Ebden so who knows. I give Kyrgios a real shot against Youzhny but it's a tough first match, I'm thinking a five setter if Nick is on. Berdych is a tough one for Lleyton but it could've been worse - he could've played somebody like Simon. Berdych's game style plays right into Lleyton's hands and Tomas has been in pretty awful form anyway. I'll take Hewitt in this one. The less said about Marinko the better.

From my perspective, taking matchups into account, they're all a chance except for Marinko. I'm expecting a few to get through. It looks like a horror line up but the matchups aren't too bad for us.

Bad draws for my favourites and the aussies but who knows the slams always throw up some upsets. Groth is around top 100 as well and Ramos hasn't been past the 2nd round of a slam so probably our best chance of a male win in the first round.
Lleyton beat Delpo last time I think but he'll be up against it. Youzhny's reached the semis twice here and is coming off a win against Tsonga but hopefully Nick can test him and who knows. Hard to know what to expect from Tomic, not sure if he'll win first up.

Women's should be ok , big test for Jarka though to see if she can translate her itf form into the Us open.

Barty and A Rodionova into 3rd qualifying round hopefully they can get through.

I actually think that is a perfect draw for Kyrgios. There won't be much pressure on him now as a lot of people will be understanding if he bows out to the 21st seed. Also Youzhny has been struggling this year with his high ranking largely due to results from the back-end of 2013 (he is at 64 for the 2014 race). Good to see Groth draw Ramos. Definitely a winnable match for him.

Ok, let's go through this draw without crying:

Hewitt vs Berdych - Berdych is in bad form but then again so is lleyton, he is serving too poorly to have any affect on Tomas. It's the kind of matchup lleyton likes so there is far worse top players he could draw. Hope they put this on Ashe. I think Berdych to pick his game up eventually and win in 4

Matosevic vs Federer - Anyone see their match in Brisbane? Enjoy Ashe Marinko because it might be your only shot at it. Fed in 3

Ebden vs Kamke - like the matchup but Ebden is playing awful at the moment so doesn't matter, Kamke in 3.

Groth vs Ramos - if he could draw anyone, this is it, I don't want to predict but if he wants to win a main draw match at a slam, this is it

Tomic vs Brown - this is fun, Tomic should enjoy this matchup, will get a lot of errors out of Brown. Ferrer is waiting in the 2nd.

Kyrgios vs Youzhny - I'm very curious with the odds on this one because it depends on which Youzhny comes out. Just stay aggressive Nick and keep it away from the dangerous backhand. Hopefully he's over the injury from cincy and if so he can win that one. Will be going out of my way to watch that one.

Stosur vs davis - should have too much and has been showing signs of improvement so she will lose in straight

Dellacqua vs Mayr - I'm a little worried about her form coming in but she's actually been given a draw that allows to get to the 3rd round.

Gajsodova vs Keys - I'm not sure what this match could entail but there will be a lot of power

Well, that was a good US Open, see you next tourney, what a horror draw.

And some poor results in qualies, Duckworth losing to a guy ranked 500 and something
Escobedo may be ranked 500+ but he's only 18 years old I think. I've watched a couple of his recent matches closely, very big hitter with a huge serve. Not actually that big a of a loss for Ducks

Bernard Tomic vs. Dustin Brown - very tough start. ---Tomic to win

Sam Groth vs. Albert Ramos-Vinolas (ranked 96 in the world) ---Groth to win

Matt Ebden vs. Tobias Kamke ---Kamke to win

Nick Krygios vs. Mikhail Youzhny (horror start for Nick) ---Kyrgios to win

Lleyton Hewitt vs. Tomas Berdych (ouch, ouch, ouch) ---Berdych to win

Marinko Matosevic vs. Roger Federer ---Fed to win (.....)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back