BlueWorld

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2004
melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
What advantages? if anything all it did was cause heaps of injuries it's not like the club dominated the season and won the flag.
Tough luck for you if you botched it up. Advantages or not has no effect on what you intended. People get done without deriving any advantage or even taking anything- like the guy who ordered banned drugs.

BlueWorld

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2004
melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Could easily accept it after the finals, I'm on the fence on this one. Happy to take legal advice and go from there, I trust the players are getting the very best of legal advice.
So as long as you don't miss any games you might accept it. Can't see that working for WADA.

the conch

Club Legend
Aug 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Leaves one wondering .....
What a load of crap this is becoming. McDevitt is likely to make a bigger arsehat of himself than he did the weekend after SCNs were given to efc players (look I don't know what the burden of proof is I have only been in the job......)
He may end up looking more foolish than aurora and that would be something :)

"Foolish" ? ... thy name is Essendon. the greater fool ... led by the prince of all vain glorious fools.

the conch

Club Legend
Aug 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I actually dont have too many problems with the players getting 6 months.
Nobody really believes that the players set this up. That the players initiated an intentional doping scheme.
So I am happy with 6 months for them ... if they plead guilty, and offer assistance, then even happy with it in the off season.
BUT
Hird, Corcoran, bomber Thompson, Bruce Reid ... they are the ones I want. They put this into place, or didnt stop it when it was their duty.

Plus it exposes how the clubs strategy is definitely not in the interests of the players. ... persisting with the legal = min 12 to 24 months, unless they take this last chance offer to cop their whack. (Meanwhile Little is talking High Court bench adjudication)

Pretty hard to argue with a positive test. And there is absolutely safety in numbers. The fact that we're talking about dozens of Essendon (and ex-Essendon) players is obviously a huge consideration in the ASADA/WADA thought process - they are basically trying to head off the immense pressure that will be brought to bear (by the AFL, and every other interested party) in favour of minimum penalties, irrespective of what such a large group of players *might* be found guilty of.

I'm not saying I agree with the approach. But it suggests to me that ASADA are very confident, and that this 'get-out' offer is their best attempt to manage the wrecking-ball they think they're about to swing through the Essendon list. I think most of us would prefer to see Essendon (players) and ASADA go toe-to-toe, no deals, and if Essendon (players) lose, they pay a heavy price. But politically, it probably can't happen that way.

Judge Middleton made it very clear ( without giving an order ) that he expected ASADA to sit on the Show Cause notices until he handed down his ruling. Allegedly ASADA has written to the AFL suggesting deals - Surely this is disregarding Justice Middleton's advice during the Federal Court hearing ?

Judge Middleton made it very clear ( without giving an order ) that he expected ASADA to sit on the Show Cause notices until he handed down his ruling. Allegedly ASADA has written to the AFL suggesting deals - Surely this is disregarding Justice Middleton's advice during the Federal Court hearing ?
How is it disregarding when they haven't done anything yet? They have not referred it to the ADRVP, there have not been infraction notices. Middleton was quite clear that he did not want to stop ASADA from doing their job, which is precisely what they are doing. He only suggested not to continue the SC process before a decision is reached. The process is still stalled, ASADA were always going to play good cop, court case or not.

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It's ASADA making sure they get their 'minimum offer' on the record, to guide the AFL tribunal that will ultimately set the penalties. The Court case probably nullifies the ASADA/WADA definition of 'significant assistance', and proceeding with it will mean that Essendon players no longer qualify for the maximum discount on their penalties (*if* the show-cause and infraction notices stick).

Essendon are obviously still entitled to pursue zero suspensions (and I'm sure they will)... but the stakes are higher now. If the AFL tribunal tries to impose 6-month penalties, ASADA will be able to appeal, point back to this (rejected) offer and say "No, that 'significant co-operation' ship has sailed... 12 months minimum". And if it ever gets to that point, ASADA would probably win.
Bang on

pinot

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 14, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
It was always going to end this way - language is immaterial. Six months if you admitted or face two years. Its in the WADA code why should the code be tarnished for drug cheats

lones37

Club Legend
Jul 27, 2002
Knoxfield, Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Miami Heat, Man U, Marcos Ambrose
And people thought ASADA had no idea what they are doing..

Now they have backed Ess into a corner.

Its decision time, i know the club won't accept because they will never admit guilt.

If they did, players miss a year, assuming the ban would be served in competition.

Every official and board member gets sacked.

And importantly, sponsors can walk. People forget that one.

But if you are going to end up getting 2 years anyway, whats the point of waiting?

Players should take the deal, and get it over with.

They have serious thinking to do, but i know the decision already, Albert will never let anyone admit guilt.

Either way ASADA have them, and Hird and co, on toast.

One day all the Ess people will finally wake up and realise ASADA has actually done their job.

They uncovered a doping regime that needs to be punished.

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Ings saying on Twitter all offers of a deal need to be signed off by WADA, so interesting if this is legit.

Think more importantly is what would the repercussions be if Ess say yes to six months?

What happens to Hird? Board in November? Do players sue the club? What happens to the case in the Fed Court?
Do they play finals?
The weird thing about the Fed court case is the lack of direct involvement of players in the proceeding

Jan 3, 2005
At Home
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
L.A. Kings, Oakland Raiders
The weird thing about the Fed court case is the lack of direct involvement of players in the proceeding
Well either way the EFC lose on this one. It's one thing for the players to be told you did bad but it's not your fault, however that points it all back on the club. Intention or not their system and protocols in place didn't protect the players. Plenty of potential issues for the club to come after that.

Or the players don't accept, keep fighting. Maybe they succeed, maybe they don't. Even success will come at a cost and if the players get full whack.....The EFC would take a long time to recover from that.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
The Bombers board is hilarious. Amazing they are seeing this story as a huge win and no one has even considered the above.

That's the thing I can't understand. They seem to see any development as a win, no matter who damning it is to their case. The longer Essendon continue to draw this out, the worse it is going to be for them. Had they cooperated 18 months ago, this whole thing would be done and dusted, and Essendon would be preparing for the 2014 finals without this still hanging over their heads.

I think you'll find they'll care a whole lot more if penalty isn't in line with the code.

There is actually a lot of fatigue in this issue outside this board. My mates don't even want to discuss it anymore, they are sick of it and just want it over

That's the thing I can't understand. They seem to see any development as a win, no matter who damning it is to their case. The longer Essendon continue to draw this out, the worse it is going to be for them. Had they cooperated 18 months ago, this whole thing would be done and dusted, and Essendon would be preparing for the 2014 finals without this still hanging over their heads.
In what way did we not cooperate 18 months ago exactly?

Back