Offer To Essendon Players

There is actually a lot of fatigue in this issue outside this board. My mates don't even want to discuss it anymore, they are sick of it and just want it over
Yes but I bet they'd be pissed off if players acknowledge they took peds and didn't get banned for it.

pinot

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 14, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
There is actually a lot of fatigue in this issue outside this board. My mates don't even want to discuss it anymore, they are sick of it and just want it over

It doesn't matter what the people on street think. Its the International Olympic Committee that funds WADA - they will withdraw funding if the code is not honoured to the letter or disband it altogether. Do you really think WADA will take that risk? They have a duty of care to protect professional sports ensuring it is safe and fair.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
I think you'll find that majority of people don't care any more.

And here it is. This has been Essendon's hope all along, that people will eventually grow tired of it and hope it will go away. Wrong, my friend, many had had a gutful and want Essendon hung out to dry for wasting everyone's time. Bad news for Essendon, this is NOT going to just go away.

Yes but I bet they'd be pissed off if players acknowledge they took peds and didn't get banned for it.

Actually not necessarily. Was talking to my dad about the case and he basically said he's sick of hearing about it, doesn't care anymore, and just wants to watch the footy now (and he was one who was pretty neg efc initially)

The outrage here is still very strong, but I was actually surprised how "over it" a lot of footy supporters are

It doesn't matter what the people on street think. Its the International Olympic Committee that funds WADA - they will withdraw funding if the code is not honoured to the letter or disband it altogether. Do you really think WADA will take that risk? They have a duty of care to protect professional sports ensuring it is safe and fair.

Jenny wasn't mentioning WADA or the IOC though. She was talking about the general public and I was addressing that

On WADA, I've already said the players should only accept a deal is WADA is in agreement.

Bad news for Essendon, this is NOT going to just go away.

And yet it would seem ASADA are as keen as anyone to see this put to bed.

The caveat being that a Masters article carries some semblance of accuracy

Seems simple.....if they honestly think they are not guilty, tell them to stick the offer and fight all the way. If they are guilty then accept the ban and cop their right wack...................

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
That's the thing I can't understand. They seem to see any development as a win, no matter who damning it is to their case. The longer Essendon continue to draw this out, the worse it is going to be for them. Had they cooperated 18 months ago, this whole thing would be done and dusted, and Essendon would be preparing for the 2014 finals without this still hanging over their heads.

Drug cheats are cheats they don't think - what is the honest and dignified thing to do?

Barry_Badrinath

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2011
Bathing in Premiership Glory
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Grand Finals at the Gabba
The weird thing about the Fed court case is the lack of direct involvement of players in the proceeding

This was a deliberate ploy by the bombers to get two bites of the cherry. They left the players out of the court case so that when it was thrown out they could still plead "full cooperation". Hard to plead "full cooperation" when you're taking ASADA to court. They did it so they could have two chances of getting away with it. This is why ASADA pushed to include the players in the court case.

Ancient Tiger

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Sep 18, 2007
Richmond
AFL Club
Richmond
Actually not necessarily. Was talking to my dad about the case and he basically said he's sick of hearing about it, doesn't care anymore, and just wants to watch the footy now (and he was one who was pretty neg efc initially)

The outrage here is still very strong, but I was actually surprised how "over it" a lot of footy supporters are
They either follow the proper procedure or ASADA is a joke.
So if a murder trial goes on forever, I don't think people would like a murderer to walk free just because the public are "over it"!

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This was a deliberate ploy by the bombers to get two bites of the cherry. They left the players out of the court case so that when it was thrown out they could still plead "full cooperation". Hard to plead "full cooperation" when you're taking ASADA to court. They did it so they could have two chances of getting away with it. This is why ASADA pushed to include the players in the court case.
Makes sense

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You just don't get it, do you?
I don't think Telsa's point (whilst both wrong and over-reaching) should completely be ignored. It may be seen as not being in the spirit of the agreement at court.

That said, I don't think Middleton would be a fan of any deal which excludes the possibility of a deal between the players and ASADA when the players aren't even applicants in the matter

Aug 25, 2003
here
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don't think Telsa's point (whilst both wrong and over-reaching) should completely be ignored. It may be seen as not being in the spirit of the agreement at court.

That said, I don't think Middleton would be a fan of any deal which excludes the possibility of a deal between the players and ASADA when the players aren't even applicants in the matter
Middleton can only rule on points of law. He cant prevent the players making a deal which they might think is in their favour.

BusterBob

Team Captain
Jul 23, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's becoming very clear that ASADA have been instructed by the Minister (instructed by Cabinet?) to bring closure to this mess whatever the price.
It would also mean an admission of guilt though by accepting it, and that has consequences.

And that they agree they were 'duped'. So the club, which employed the dupers, will be very keen for the players not to accept this because it significantly strengthens players' cases to sue the club down the track.

Back