Cronulla Sharks players accept doping bans

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Can I order one shipping freight of HGH and Peptides to Westpac Center please
2. If Essendon had this same pathetic punishment offered, LOL. All this for Tirdy

So do all players get the same deal? Is that right?

Not bad eh.

So much for WADA not accepting any kind of deals and the sanctity of their code. Kind of makes a mockery of a lot of opinions over the journey
There have been many precedents of back dating penalties in WADA.

The penalty should reflect what was won. Armstrong won 7 Tour de France titles. Are we to strip the Sharks of their wooden spoon?

They should at least ban them from playing league for more than 2 matches.

Where is the pain for them other than getting their names in the paper...big deal. In 3 months time no one will remember their names.

They deserve to not be playing their game. That is the minimum.

A pity Saad didn't get the same leniency, ASADA even tried to appeal his 18 month ban to get it extended to 2 years, all for taking a protein shake containing a substance that was only banned on game day.

The old safety in numbers theory has never been more true, absolute joke of a system.
Agree with you wholeheartedly. Just another case of the umpires giving it to the saints hey?

A pity Saad didn't get the same leniency, ASADA even tried to appeal his 18 month ban to get it extended to 2 years, all for taking a protein shake containing a substance that was only banned on game day.

The old safety in numbers theory has never been more true, absolute joke of a system.
Saad had a positive test for a banned substance.

Bit like that VFL player they rubbed out for two years when he imported something. If you're on your own ASADA are tough, but stand up to them and they're pathetic.

There have been many precedents of back dating penalties in WADA.
I put it to you that if I had suggested at any time over the last 20 months that a backdated penalty could occur, given that players have been playing the whole time (and hell, Cronulla even played finals last year didn't they!), I would have been howled down by you and pretty much everyone else on this board.

Guaranteed.

We finished nowhere in 2012. So do we get a light penalty to if found guilty?

Am I ASADA or WADA? No

But as long as it happens before this years finals. I personally would be comfortable with

One year ban backdated to November 2013. All individual awards won from the beginning of the doping program forfeited. Hird to never coach again.

Not bad eh.

So much for WADA not accepting any kind of deals and the sanctity of their code. Kind of makes a mockery of a lot of opinions over the journey

Lance you are trooper, even in the face of what looks like ASADA getting a result (a result that makes a mockery of a lot of opinions over the journey) you still pump the chest out and say you being wrong makes me right. Brilliant. I cannot (seriously no piss take) wait for the day we are on the same side of the fence for a scandal this big. It will be great times. :D

I an no lawyer and far from the most intelligent person on the planet, but how can things be backdated? "Hey Mr Murderer, we have convicted you of killing someone in 1982 and given you a 30 year sentence. Since the offence was back then, we backdated it, so you can now walk free if you sign this deal."

Seriously WTF? Am I missing something? They are basically copping a suspension that isn't a suspension. Same amount of time missed as our old mate Boomer Harvey copped for belting someone.

The vibe of the WADA code goes something like this. We took a sample from you in 2010 and it was positive. We then flounced-about for 4 years before we finally got around to scheduling your hearing. You have been waiting 4 years for justice and it is entirely our fault because we lost some paperwork or couldn't book a meeting room. You shouldn't be punished for that, after all you were ready to have your case heard back in 2010.

There has to be some sort of provision to make the doping agencies stop sitting on their hands and actually process the cases.

So there is a provision that if the antidopers (ASADA) are the cause of a significant delay, up to half of the penalty may be backdated.

So if the players get 6 month sentances. 3 months can be put in the back-dated basket. Leaving them to serve bans from Aug-Nov - otherwise none as the xmas holidays they were taking anyway.

I don't think in reality this case actually meets the vibe of "no fault", "substantial assistance" or "undue delay" but the players would appear to have been offered them all. None of them would stand up in CAS, but as long as none of the players, ASADA or WADA appeal it will stick.

I put it to you that if I had suggested at any time over the last 20 months that a backdated penalty could occur, given that players have been playing the whole time (and hell, Cronulla even played finals last year didn't they!), I would have been howled down by you and pretty much everyone else on this board.

Guaranteed.
20 months is a LONG time. Like I said, I am not happy with the length of ban. Not sure what more you want me to say.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

20 months is a LONG time. Like I said, I am not happy with the length of ban. Not sure what more you want me to say.
If it is shown that the players were duped I am ok with it. As long as those responsible or who failed in their duties get a right whack.

Saad can't claim he was duped (no fault) he purchased, mixed and drank the stuff. He can't claim their was a significant delay (so get backdating). He can't claim substantial assistance in that all he could do was point to the shop he bought the stuff.

Not bad eh.

Indeed. I said this on the other thread:

If this is all playing out as reported, I take back everything I said about ASADA following the process and explaining players' options, not offering deals. Jenny explaining that a guilty plea takes out the step where evidence is assessed and independently judged changes everything for me. I had always assumed that would happen before penalties were settled.

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood about the MRP and tribunal this week, but the reported NRL arrangement sounds a lot like it. You take the whack they come up with, or you fight it because you think it's unreasonable - and if you fight it you'll probably lose and look like an idiot through your suspension. Except they don't show you the video and medical evidence they've used to assess your penalty, you just have to guess how strong it is.

It is genuinely a bind the players are in. They would want to be very confident that ASADA does not have a good case against them, to choose to defend themselves.

I think it would be better for everyone if the EFC players' charges did go to the ADVRP so evidence is made public and a genuine assessment is made. But I also think, from the bits that have been leaked, the work ASADA has continued doing and the guys who have overseen the issuing of the SCs, their case is likely to hold up well enough - I wouldn't like to advise a player to take the chance if they could accept a discounted penalty, especially if (as reported) WADA is in on the deal.

Not bad eh.

The key for them is to get the admission of guilt. The penalties are secondary. They will close any technicalities from here and really gear key legislation points to team sports as the current code was really looking for doping Olympians and individual sports for the most part. It may make a mockery of claims about no deals, but it would also make a mockery of anybody who thinks they have nothing and couldn't get make charges stick against the Sharks.

A year out of the game is averted but the conviction stands forever. These teams are fortunate they are the first test cases for ASADA. Everybody else that is stupid enough to follow is going to be obliterated you would think.

The penalty should reflect what was won. Armstrong won 7 Tour de France titles. Are we to strip the Sharks of their wooden spoon?
Paul Gallen has plenty of records to be stripped.

The Sharks stone walled and dragged the investigation out as long as possible. Then got almost the entire ban back dated because it took too long. Amazing stuff.

17 players got a three games ban for taking GH derivatives.

They should have bought them an ice-cream instead and hoped for an ice cream headache.

Shameful.

Didn't the gazelle do icecream too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back