Status
Not open for further replies.

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
As an NRL fan I am disgusted at this outcome. Pathetic by ASADA. Can't really strip the Sharks of anything as they are woeful and sitting bottom.

Paul Gallen - An average player then suddenly in his late 20s becomes one of the best in the game, how did he manage this?
now we and the world knows

andrewb

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
ASADA has what they always wanted - an admission of doping guilt by a player.

Now that the players have admitted doping they can go after their primary target in this saga, which has always been Dank.

It will be really interesting to see whether these admissions, made under duress and not in line with normal procedure, are enough to pin guilt to their target.

Madblue

Club Legend
Feb 21, 2008
Canberra
AFL Club
Carlton
Cool story. I for one don't give a s**t about what's easy for the entire football community to move on. Like these Cronulla players taking token bans to help people move on. Seems stupid to me.

How about Juddy's magic blue powder?

What you mean he trusted an employee who was in a different reporting line to do the right thing? A guy who the AFL themselves employed?

Wow if you think thats all Hird did then you need to do alot of catch up reading on the case or get your head out of the sand ;)

Sep 5, 2007
Gippsland, Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool, Nashville predators
What you mean he trusted an employee who was in a different reporting line to do the right thing? A guy who the AFL themselves employed?

You don't think, after playing for as long as he did, that he shouldn't have questioned why players were being taken off site to have injections, why his own doctor and long time essendon doctor wasn't in agreeance with it, why Mark Thompson wasn't supportive of it, why they weren't keeping the appropriate records etc etc??

Sorry mate, but Hird needs to take responsibility as he was the one that would have been signing off on the regime they put in place.

bacon buster

Premiership Player
Jul 8, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man Utd, LA Lakers
Cronulla only have 4 players effected, and two of those are barely in the starting line-up apparently. There was no incentive for Cronulla to fight when 13 of the 17 are retired or elsewhere. From Cronulla's perspective the whole case is basically Paul Gallen and Wade Graham.

Very different at Essendon were 20 currently listed players are involved according to Paul Little.

other than to clear their players who have professed their innocence?
seems like reason enough to fight to me. i'm sure if they were a well to do club, they probably would have. not only would a legal fight cost them, but sponsor backlash would as well

essendon don't seem to have that problem

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,
If the Queenslanders try to overturn the State of Origin, its civil war time.

I think it should after all he was supposed to be banned. and all awards should be stripped.:cool:

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,
lol, indeed. They could have stripped him of his achievement as leader of the Blues. It is one of the guarantees he sought in taking the bans. That that would not happen.

Talk about pandering to drug cheats.

We are Australians we do not cheat our mum gives it to us by mistake.

fabulousphil

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 29, 2001
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
freo
Perhaps we will get to a point where Essendons players will be cleared but Cronullas are seen as guilty.

But possibly both sets of players are in the exact same boat - thinking they are all innocent of taking banned drugs.

A pity Saad didn't get the same leniency, ASADA even tried to appeal his 18 month ban to get it extended to 2 years, all for taking a protein shake containing a substance that was only banned on game day.

The old safety in numbers theory has never been more true, absolute joke of a system.
yep. penalties seem very disproportionate

Albert Ross

Premiership Player
Nov 24, 2012
Portland, Victoria
AFL Club
GWS
I thought systematic doping resulted in the club being banned, now that they have confessions it seals that fate I would have thought?

The WADA code calls for a club to be punished. Most sports, including the AFL, have reserved the right to determine the appropriate punishment. There is an obligation to punish the club, but nothing about what that penalty should be. I think it is 99% certain that the punishments already dished out will be seen as sufficient.

fabulousphil

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 29, 2001
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
freo
Cronulla players admit to doping with GH derivatives = 12 month backdated ban with 3 weeks to be served in season. No financial impacts.
Saad drinks energy drink with banned stimulant = 18 month ban which ASADA appealed and tried to change to 24 months.
Murkier and ******* murkier.

It is an absolute farce.

A absolute disgrace when a genuine comparison is made.

Tiger71

?????? King of the Micro ??????
Sep 22, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
As an NRL fan I am disgusted at this outcome. Pathetic by ASADA. Can't really strip the Sharks of anything as they are woeful and sitting bottom.

Paul Gallen - An average player then suddenly in his late 20s becomes one of the best in the game, how did he manage this?

Can swap Paul Gallens name with Jobe Watson. Jobe was a good average player, one paced with limited skills. from 2010-11 his form spiked and he found new pace and a increase in endurance....wonder how ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back