Opinion Matt De Boer - What to do?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a huge DeBoer fan but this small sample shows otherwise (at 2:41)

He played a brilliant defensive game against Carlton last year as well. He is a very good footballer in his own way. It's just, offer me Crozier or Deboer and I will always chose a Crozier. When he is playing well.

He isn't worth trading if he'll be willing to stick around. No longer a lock in the 22 but he's great to have as that second, third 'reserve.' He'll always do what he's brought into do and he's a hard worker. Considering he can play in a few spots, and you always get injuries, he's good quality for 10-15 games a year.

He played a brilliant defensive game against Carlton last year as well. He is a very good footballer in his own way. It's just, offer me Crozier or Deboer and I will always chose a Crozier. When he is playing well.

For the moment, that's about right. Suddenly Crozier has come out with repeat efforts in the contest and hungry fierce tackling - with his nice skills, and nose for goals, plus quickness (not that MDB is that slow), that makes him a better prospect right now.

I still suspect that MDB does have that hard/gut running ability that Croz might not, and MDB is tough as nails so he'd still have that over Croz - but given one of our biggest weakness has been turning possession into actual scoreboard pressure, Croz is going to get the nod over MDB. But it's not a given, a poor showing from Croz and I could easily see RTB swapping them out.

de Boer has played good games in the middle.

Yes and no - he's had good moments in the middle is probably a fairer way to put that.

I'm not sure you can rely on him in there for a significant portion of the game given his relatively poor disposal skills when you're missing a couple of A graders that he can use as a foil. Plus he's not the greatest kick for goals (though better) and we need to keep that in mind given we get 2-4 goals a game form Fyfe/Barlow combo.

He's being played out of position as a forward, his natural spot is as an inside midfielder but he is obviously not good enough to play that position in our team. He plays considerably better footy when he plays as an inside midfielder as evidenced by some of his performances in mid 2012. He will never be anything more than a B-grader at best though and I find it hard to envision a premiership team having him in the centre, which we aspire to be.

He would be of value to a club like Melbourne who are needing a youngish inside midfielder, I know Paul Roos loves his tall midfielders and De Boer is about 3cm taller than his listed height of 186cm. I think the choice will be up to Matty what he wants to do next year seeing as he is out of contract at seasons end.

While he will never be an elite player, I'd say De Boer is a great compliment in the middle to the likes of Mundy, Barlow, Fyfe, Hill etc. He isn't blessed with the superior skills of the aforementioned but what he does do is make life a little easier for the others through blocks, shepards, creating space and being the in & under guy feeding it out etc.

While he will never be an elite player, I'd say De Boer is a great compliment in the middle to the likes of Mundy, Barlow, Fyfe, Hill etc. He isn't blessed with the superior skills of the aforementioned but what he does do is make life a little easier for the others through blocks, shepards, creating space and being the in & under guy feeding it out etc.
Crowley can't go on forever. MDB could fill that role I would think.

If a 1 year deal has been offered I think that is perfect. We have a number of young mid types pushing up who may go past him. Having said that he is a very handy asset.

I think there's a few positions he could play. Just don't like him in the forward line because he can't hurt the opposition on the scoreboard. I think he'd make a good lockdown defender though.

I'm confused as to if MdB wants to stay at Freo honestly. He hasn't exactly been terrible this year - still at least best 25. Yet he's been dropped off some average (not necessarily bad) games, and hasn't been able to make it back into a team missing 3 of its biggest stars. And the fact that he's holding off re-signing he's either looking for more than Freo wants to give him, or looking elsewhere. We've managed to convince the big-name players (Fyfe Pav & Mundy) to re-sign before the end of the year - and those are the superstars that have an excuse to hold out for the big bucks & the long terms.

I just can't see him at Freo next year, and I don't think it's because Freo haven't tried to keep him. I do think he's worth more on the trade table then people are making out. He'd step into a lot of team's best 22, and the type of defensive pressure Freo players can supply are 2nd to none. Plus, a lot of teams like Melbourne & Brisbane will be looking not just for players, but for leaders of the club, and that's a role that MdB is excellent at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I pretty much agree he could be the next Crowley without the size, tagging/defensive ability or set shot. But he brings other qualities to the table, plus hes not too terrible at any of those things, bar playing in defense.

He has good hands out of congestion as well.

I'm confused as to if MdB wants to stay at Freo honestly. He hasn't exactly been terrible this year - still at least best 25. Yet he's been dropped off some average (not necessarily bad) games, and hasn't been able to make it back into a team missing 3 of its biggest stars. And the fact that he's holding off re-signing he's either looking for more than Freo wants to give him, or looking elsewhere. We've managed to convince the big-name players (Fyfe Pav & Mundy) to re-sign before the end of the year - and those are the superstars that have an excuse to hold out for the big bucks & the long terms.

I just can't see him at Freo next year, and I don't think it's because Freo haven't tried to keep him. I do think he's worth more on the trade table then people are making out. He'd step into a lot of team's best 22, and the type of defensive pressure Freo players can supply are 2nd to none. Plus, a lot of teams like Melbourne & Brisbane will be looking not just for players, but for leaders of the club, and that's a role that MdB is excellent at.

I think the Bulldogs would probably be interested, as would Gold coast. I'd imagine we could get a second round pick for him. I'd say MDB and a first round pick swap, but I think that's stretching it a little.

He isn't worth trading if he'll be willing to stick around. No longer a lock in the 22 but he's great to have as that second, third 'reserve.' He'll always do what he's brought into do and he's a hard worker. Considering he can play in a few spots, and you always get injuries, he's good quality for 10-15 games a year.

I would have said the exact same thing except the selection committee have left him out of a team with out two of it's extractors. I always thought he'd be a perfect straight swap for Barlow.

I did raise an eyebrow when in the same week that GWS coaching staff were said to have watched Peel play, Ross Lyon in a midweek interview full of planted questions from the club, said something along the lines of Matt De Boer is treasured clubman, one of the hardest workers off the track and was a huge part of lifting this club off it's knees when it was getting belted by 100+ points...however he'll have to make his way back via Peel.

Just speculation at this stage, but some possibility that Matt might replace Crowley Sunday. Whether the rampage Port are putting on against Carlton changes that we will soon find out. Port will have an 8 day break coming into our game to our 6.

For the moment, that's about right. Suddenly Crozier has come out with repeat efforts in the contest and hungry fierce tackling - with his nice skills, and nose for goals, plus quickness (not that MDB is that slow), that makes him a better prospect right now.

I still suspect that MDB does have that hard/gut running ability that Croz might not, and MDB is tough as nails so he'd still have that over Croz - but given one of our biggest weakness has been turning possession into actual scoreboard pressure, Croz is going to get the nod over MDB. But it's not a given, a poor showing from Croz and I could easily see RTB swapping them out.
Crozier has to perform no doubt. But I honestly believe it was only a matter of time before he pushed Deboer out. And Clancee appears to have been squeezed out by Sutcliffe. It was expected. What was not expected by me is that Mzungu would improve so much. Duffy could just as easily replace Crozier, if he dropped off, not Deboer

I think that distributing off half back is one of the most under rated attributes of the game, due to playing loose across the back flank being the easiest role.

If someone at half back uses the ball well it can put the ball in space and lead to pressure free inside fifties, they just need the vision to pick out the guy on the spread.

That's why tagging a half back is important to me. We don't have a fast enough midfield to cover space when we realise the opposition player with the ball is about to switch the play.

Our zone moves half as slow as a well used ball, so we need to keep it in the hands off lesser users.

Clearances are dangerous because the team is spread out and out of position to defend in the zone but defensive fifty clearances are worse because 15 players are on the wrong side of the ground and pressed forward.
Why didn't you get a like for this until now? Hard markers on this forum.

(X) Liked.

Don't necessarily have to tag a hbf... So long as his matchup is keeping an eye out for him... Especially when the ball is in the hands of the opposition.

His non-selection this week is telling imo.

Uncontracted.
Has some trade value.
Full time tagger in the wings.
Cannot get the nod over Suban.
RTB is playing only 1 defensive forward at the moment.

I think MDB will be departing this year. Hope I am wrong.
You'll be wrong. Fear not.

His non selection is more about suban being a more versatile player, and being a more effective attacking on baller. Seems pretty obvious when we consider that we've lost two onballers.

PearceD, Hill and even Mz can step into the onball rotation. With Ibbo coming in for Duffy we've got a spare hbf. Don't need to replace both onballers with two onballers.... Just one, and rotate a hbf/midfielder like hill, pearceD or even balla or sonny in there.

Last edited:
I'm still not convinced he couldn't play as a tagger if the coaches pushed him that way and Crowls took him under his wing. He's smart as a tack, has guts and determination, can lay a ripper tackle and is part of the leadership group. I find the alternatives are a little uninsipired. An average trade, a mediocre fwd or a back up. Would be a shame to not look at other avenues to get the best out of him IMO
He played as a tagger the year before Ross arrived, before rtb gave the job back to crowls. He was a more effective tagger than Crowley was that year. Pretty comfortably.

It's a perfect fit for mdb. Mark my words... He will be a perfect successor to crowls as our no 1 tagger. Within a year or two of taking over the job... If we still run a tagger... He'll be better at it than crowls.

He played as a tagger the year before Ross arrived, before rtb gave the job back to crowls. He was a more effective tagger than Crowley was that year. Pretty comfortably.

It's a perfect fit for mdb. Mark my words... He will be a perfect successor to crowls as our no 1 tagger. Within a year or two of taking over the job... If we still run a tagger... He'll be better at it than crowls.
Then why won't they give him two years. If that is their plan for him to succeed Crowley.
Sorry to keep butting in, but I'm looking for a pleasant diversion from the report I'm writing

You had a great game against Cotchin in the wet in that drought breaking (hehe) MCG win in 2012. Shut him out and won the ball. Then there was the Jobe Watson game, same result.

I pretty much agree he could be the next Crowley without the size, tagging/defensive ability or set shot.
What size are we talking about? If it was a wrestling match I know who I'd be betting on.

As for height, mdb and Crowley are about as good as each other as contested marks. Crowley might have an edge there... But not enough to make it worthwhile.

Crowls is a very good kick for goal. No contest there.

But lacking defensive/tagging ability? You're friggin joking aren't you?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back