R22: Port v Carlton review

Remove this Banner Ad

My oh my!!

---------------------------------

Player Reviews:

Boak - Just another very good match from our captain. Led by example in the middle and really ensured we stayed switched on through the middle two quarters when it may have been easy for us to sit back on a bit of a lead and get complacent. Has had a mighty season, probably better than his year last year. The perfect captain.

Broadbent - Didnt really have a whole lot to do last night in his 100th game. The ball was either not in his vicinity or it wasn't getting past Jonas. Had a bit of a role on Nick Graham and probably broke even there as well.

Monfries - Slowly but surely he is starting to find his feet again. Its been a rough couple of months for him, but I thought he took some big steps forward last night in terms of his running capability and his attack at the ball. Still some ways to go to get back to his best, but hopefully last night gives him some confidence and we can see him improve again come finals time.

Ebert - Quiet. Had a couple of defensive jobs on Gibbs and Judd for a little while but just couldnt get into the swing of things tonight. Skills and decision making were much better than the last month or so, but he just couldnt find much of the ball.

Hartlett - Another damn good performance by Hammer and a very selfless one as well. Pin pointed teammates inside 50 a lot when he could have been having pings from outside 50. Had a great first half and didnt really let up after half time either. Is arguably the form player of our team at the moment. Its great to see him gain that consistency than he really needed to add to his game. We all knew his best was incredible, but he had to show it a lot more often. Now he is and he is such a damaging player.

Gray - For 2 hours in the car on the way home I kept thinking how do I attack his review. What is left to be said than I havent said already on Robbie this year. He's just a superstar. I almost get emotional thinking about how damn good he has been this season and coming from where he was 2 years ago with that horrible injury. Like Hammer, we all knew his best was incredible, but it was his body that was letting him down. Great 2009, injury riddled 2010, great 2011, knee injury 2012. He was nearly there last year, but he's put all the pieces of his game together this year. For him to win the coaches MVP, which it looks like he definitely will now, is such a fantastic achievement for one of the real underrated players of our game. As for his game last night, what do you say? There were about a dozen times where he just left me breathless with some of his clearance and evasive work in the middle. Was great to see him amongst the goals again and he had another 3 assists to add to that pile as well. We've seen our mids have some great years in our AFL journey so far. Stevens 2001, Francou 2002, Burgoyne 2006, Cornes 2007, Boak 2013. Gray 2014 is just about the best of the lot.

Trengove - Started on Casboult and thought he did a decent job there before moving onto a couple of other players and having a stint in the ruck. Not his best game, but certainly didnt do much wrong either. Just wasnt really needed.

O'Shea - Like Trengove, not his best game but wasnt really called upon to do a whole lot tonight. The ball rarely got past him.

Wines - Thought he looked a little sluggish in the midfield last night, well down on what we know he can produce.

Cornes - Was doing a fantastic job on Murphy before he went off, then took on Judd after that and kept him relatively quiet as well. Defensively excellent.

White - Kicked the goal of the night on the outer pocket at the northern end but outside of that was fairly quiet. Got involved early.

Wingard - Its been coming for a while. All he needed was one spark to really get him going and I felt that when he got that early goal that it would be the moment where he switched on again. His best game in 2 months by far and it was great seeing him so damaging across half forward again. Found heaps of space in the pockets and flanks and used it well going inside 50. 3 goals was a great return.

Polec - Similar to Chad, this was his best game for a while as well. Barely missed a target all night, was able to break the lines a lot and was able to set up the play going forward. Just needed to slot some goals. The key for him is to do it again next week against a better opponent.

Lobbe - Won the ruck contest well but was beaten around the ground.

Moore - Had one real ugly moment where he pulled out of a contest in the last quarter but outside of that I thought he had some decent moments.

Carlile - Started on one of their smalls but quickly moved through Casboult and Waite at times. Defensively was excellent. Neither Waite or Casboult had much to do in their forward 50 and they were left searching wide for kicks.

Schulz - A solid Schulz game without being spectacular. 2 goals was decent return, though I thought Jamison held him pretty well.

Pittard - Solid. As. A. Rock. He deserves plenty of credit. He's probably been a top 5 player for us since the first Sydney game. Isnt often beaten in contests, his skills are getting better every week and he has successfully removed some of the silly points of his game. Consistently good and becoming very important week by week.

Neade - How good is Jakey Neade? Seriously, how good is Jakey Neade? Damn good I say. His last three weeks have been sensational and he's a new player to the one that was struggling earlier in the year in the SANFL. Got his confidence back and has now shown that in the AFL side too. Just always seems to be there. Whether its laying a tackle, winning a ground ball or delivering well inside 50, he's always at the right spot. Perfect crumber.

Hombsch - Waite barely had any influence when he was near the ball. Another excellent job by Hombschy on a big name form player. He is as good as it gets across the AFL in terms of defenders at the moment. Has the runs on the board.

Westhoff - The Hoff was back in fine form last night. One of his best game of the year. Marking everything around the ground and working forward to kick 3 fine goals, all from set shots I believe as well. Very important and hopefully this gives him the confidence in front of the sticks that we will need in the finals.

Jonas - I thought he was bloody fantastic tonight and on par with Robbie Gray for BOG. Thats how highly I rated his game. He literally wasn't able to be passed by Carltons midfielders. Every time the ball went near TJ he won it, and got it going our direction again. He is the reason why O'Shea and Broady didnt have to do much, TJ was doing it all for them! Whilst TJ has done some great shut down defensive jobs before, I'd say this was his best game at AFL level. Stunning performance.

POTY VOTES
10 - Gray, Jonas
9 - Boak, Hartlett, Neade
8 - Cornes, Wingard, Polec, Hombsch, Westhoff, Pittard
7 -
6 - Monfries, Lobbe
5 - Trengove, O'Shea, Carlile
4 - Broadbent, Ebert, Schulz
3 - Wines, White
2 - Moore

Last edited:

Lacked an extra tall KPF.

Nah seriously how much difference does Neade make? When he is near the ball he has a knack of making things happen when they shouldn't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gray was literally a class above everyone tonight.. that play on the wing where he grabbed it with one hand then weaved through 3 carlton players at full tilt then to handball it off took my breath away

Hartlett won't get any where the credit he deserves for his game tonight he was unbelievable.. to think people wanted to trade him a few weeks ago.

To many good players to mention.

I ******* LOVE THIS CLUB

Lacked an extra tall KPF.

Nah seriously how much difference does Neade make? When he is near the ball he has a knack of making things happen when they shouldn't.
Well done Jake Neade. Earn't his spot in the AFL the hard way but he definitely deserves to play finals this year.

Yes and yes. I love what Neade brings to the forward line. He's a keeper.

So good to see the team back on track they sang the song passionately in the rooms was really good to see. Coming good at the right time not feeling so worried about finals now. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back