21. Brant Colledge (2013- 2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching the WAFL game on tele, his attack on the footy in the contested situation is like a rabid dog. I can't wait to see what he's got in the AFL.

Both Colledge and Tunbridge are exciting. Surely both should be given a chance soon.

I think Colledge will translate his game to the AFL very quickly. Doesn't overcomplicate things, just goes hard at the ball and plays with confidence.

Colledge has been named in the 25 man squad for Sunday's game - great work by Brant, well deserved. Hopefully he is spotted at the airport today and named in the 22 tonight.

Great to hear he's been tearing up the midfield, he really could add some intangibles to our midfield.

Colledge, in his second year on the list, had an injury-interrupted 2013, but enjoyed an outstanding pre-season. He has been developed as a strong-bodied midfielder, rather than as a forward where he played most of last season, and is pushing hard for a call-up.

The 192cm 19-year-old played in the NAB Challenge match against Sydney in Blacktown and performed admirably, backing up that effort with an eye-catching performance against Peel.

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2014-03-27/queing-to-play

"Colledge was relatively unknown at the start of the year but put his name in lights with a series of solid games in the NAB Challenge.

A best-on-ground effort for East Perth in the WAFL at the weekend furthered his claims on a spot in the Eagles’ best side.

The 19-year-old had 23 touches, eight clearances, five tackles and a goal playing through the Royals midfield and outshone some far more experienced teammates.

He is likely to be competing with Sheppard for the final spot in the 22."

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/afl/a/22209299/colledge-in-the-mix-for-debut/

Really excited about fringe and often forgotten players like Colledge and Tunbridge pushing to be in the 22.

We really need a young unknown player to breakout and become a gun player - bar Sinclair (who is 24), we haven't had one for a long time!

Really excited about fringe and often forgotten players like Colledge and Tunbridge pushing to be in the 22.

We really need a young unknown player to breakout and become a gun player - bar Sinclair (who is 24), we haven't had one for a long time!

Yeah haven't had a rising star nominee since 2011 (when Darling and Gaff got noms and Shuey was unlucky not to win it).

I'm probably getting ahead of myself, but assuming that Sinclair will come out of the team soonish, there is a good list of candidates for the last spot in the 21 (and then another in the sub role):

Colledge, Hutchings, Tunbridge, Sheed, Hill and Sheppard.

Really think that Colledge would add a good dynamic with his ability to be a lead up forward, as well as a combative mid.

He's done it!

Congratulations to Brant on making his senior debut. If given the vest, hopefully he can tear the game apart in the last quarter and force his way into the 21. He's come from a long way back and we can all be proud of what our support has enabled him to achieve.

A year has certainly proven to be a long time in football for Colledge.

Drafted with selection 45 in the 2012 National Draft, he had a restricted pre-season campaign after a hip problem and then played just two senior games for his WAFL club, Perth when an ankle injury compounded his frustrations.

With an impeded run at the pre-season Colledge, originally recruited as a key position player, showed his capabilities and was earmarked for a role through the midfield. His aerobic capacity convinced the coaching staff that he could graduate to that role.

Through the NAB Challenge he franked the faith of the coaches with a couple of strong performances and was clearly high on the selection radar when he travelled as the emergency to Melbourne last week.

Colledge, 19, stands at a dynamic 192cm and weighs 90kg, so fits the mould of the big-bodied midfielder.
http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2014-04-03/colledge-graduates

Didn't notice him a lot during the game against St Kilda, but as the game was pretty tough for a long period I would see it as a good "blooding" for the young man.

Solid first up hit out for Brant. Struggled a little bit to get into it, hopefully he is better for it and he can step up his performance this week.

Here are his statistics for the game

211j86a.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really want Colledge and Tunbridge rewarded for their WAFL form. We need to start blooding more younger players because the future isn't in McGinnity and Butler. We've had recent success with McGovern and Lycett. Our season is over, no need to play old hacks anymore..

Named as an emergency this week. Good to see him getting close.

With Yeo and Selwood potentially returning against Gold Coast (if we are still in the finals hunt) a return to West Coast may be unlikely this year.

I'd still love Brant to finish off strong and dominate the finals and win a flag with EP. Would give him a lot of confidence coming into preseason 2014/15.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back