yet another website ruined by old ugly wookie features

Last edited:

HiReception

Club Legend
Aug 8, 2010
Exiled to Adelaide
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It was also good to see, for what I think was the first time, the presence of sponsors for the whole competition (Telstra and others) as well as some of the teams. Hopefully this will lead to less examples like Denmark this year, where a team was forced to pull out simply because they didn't have the money to fly over. It'd be nice to see Telstra or another company offer subsidies for travelling teams, though since it won't really help Telstra financially I can't see it.

cos789

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Feb 19, 2004
Sunset Coast
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Subiaco
wookie where are you?

wookie where are you?

wookie where are you?

wookie where are you?

wookie where are you?

Last edited:

HiReception

Club Legend
Aug 8, 2010
Exiled to Adelaide
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The IC could have have been considerably larger in terms of numbers if cost wasn't was such a large factor.
Some sponsorships have been achieved like Brunei Airlines etc.
This year's coverage has lead to knowledge of the event and this should lead to greater interest.
Ultimately greater interest equates to money in easier sponsorships and further better coverage.

That's true, however it can go the other way as well. More money into the competition (as in, put in today as an "investment in the game") can lead to more countries participating, and that leads to more matches played, so a longer timeframe of coverage and of potential crowds, and more countries covering the tournament overseas - all up leading to greater interest.

It's a bit chicken-and-egg in that sense. A perpetual motion (hopefully :p) machine that can be started at either end.

giskard

Draftee
Dec 6, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Vancouver - NHL
That's true, however it can go the other way as well. More money into the competition (as in, put in today as an "investment in the game") can lead to more countries participating, and that leads to more matches played, so a longer timeframe of coverage and of potential crowds, and more countries covering the tournament overseas - all up leading to greater interest.

It's a bit chicken-and-egg in that sense. A perpetual motion (hopefully :p) machine that can be started at either end.

Even with the big games still to be played the 2014 IC has seen some quantum gains.
On field, the returning teams have again improved, some quite markedly but the most notable advances are off field. The size of the competition is allowing some good deals and sponsorship to be orchestrated.
More importantly the level of interest has jumped markedly. All matches are streamed and some games have up to 3 TV cameras, multiple large photo cameras and usually a radio commentary. SBS has interviewed many teams and commercial TV has carried an arrary of stories. The end result is that people are hearing about Australian Football being played overseas. It wont impact of this year's event but I expect their could be some major developments in the next IC as a result.

I haven't been able to get to any games so far, but that doesn't mean I wasn't keen. Are taking my two boys to the Women's Final at Punt Road (I'm a Richmond member) and then maybe over to the 'G' for the Men's final. I encourage everyone else to show support and front up to the games... that'll get the AFL's and media attention better than anything else.

HiReception

Club Legend
Aug 8, 2010
Exiled to Adelaide
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I haven't been able to get to any games so far, but that doesn't mean I wasn't keen. Are taking my two boys to the Women's Final at Punt Road (I'm a Richmond member) and then maybe over to the 'G' for the Men's final. I encourage everyone else to show support and front up to the games... that'll get the AFL's and media attention better than anything else.

Yeah, I think the idea of the curtain-raisers concept was a really good awareness exercise. I went to the Diggers Rest game and most of the people there were there for the main game (DR v Rupertswood), but they still got into it. By the end the whole ground (including a couple of French coaches) were just cheering on Indonesia to get a goal! Anyone else who went to a game on Saturday, did that seem like the sentiment at your ground?

Incidentally, I don't often call a team that loses by 106 points "unlucky", but they kicked 4 behinds and hit the post twice (once from point blank on the run), and they got the last score of the 3rd and 4th quarters. It would have been pandemonium if they'd managed to slot one, and we all thought they had right on the Full Time siren but it went wide.

cos789

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Feb 19, 2004
Sunset Coast
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Subiaco
wookie where are you?

wookie where are you?

wookie where are you?

wookie where are you?

wookie where are you?

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2006
Gold Coast/Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Phillip Island Bulldogs/Lions AFLW
I managed to get along to the semi-finals and the standard of play from the PNG team was amazing. I watched the 2011 final and there has been significant improvement across the entire side since then. Ireland will certainly have a tough time if they want to go back to back.

Obviously with work, many people have struggled to get along to watch many games, but the streaming has been a very welcome addition this time.

Does anyone know if the afl has projections or aims for future tournaments? Or is it still largely a year-to-year process of consolidation?

giskard

Draftee
Dec 6, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Vancouver - NHL
Anyone got opinions on where they should play the games for the next IC cup?
I'm thinking they should use Punt Road as the main IC17 ground, and use the other local grounds in the area, such as Gosh's Paddock, and Olympic Park (Collingwood's training ground?)...
I'm going to Punt Road today to watch the Women's Final, and maybe over to the G to watch the Mens Final.
Might even stay to watch the much hyped AFL match that's on after the Final... ;)

JaySchultzforPM

Draftee
Jun 18, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I wouldn't mind Adelaide having a crack. We've got some quality SANFL grounds with cameras already in place if it progresses to be broadcast and then Adelaide Oval for the finals. We love our footy and because nothing ever happens, we really get behind our events. Also, I live in Adelaide and it'd be pretty handy.

zachary

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2008
Chadstone
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I saw the second half of the Grand Final at the MCG yesterday and the standard was pretty good. Some specky marks and great passages of play from PNG in particular. I saw the last 2 Grand Finals and this was a great improvement - maybe up to suburban league firsts. Pity it didn't crack a mention in today's paper.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Good to see that it appears PNG got over Ireland this time by improving, and not by Ireland dropping of. It is also a good sign that the PNG side is reportedly quite young, so they should be improvers again next year.

I also saw a comment from NZ that they had some kids good enough to be in their team that were left behind because they were thought to be a bit to young. With the expanding juniors in NZ, they could be big improvers next year. Ditto SA. I think Ireland could start to struggle to keep up, and the gap on the top 4 and the others could increase, because PNG, NZ and SA all have junior programms, and there is a big difference between a talented 22 year old who has played since he was 14, and a talented 26 year old who has played since he was 22.

On the womens side, NZ have a team, but it was to young to risk, so in 3 years they should be ready. England has announced the formation of a national womens team. Hopefully, with 3 years prep time, PNG can find the finances to send their womens team. Also, if Fiji and Tonga can keep it up, they have the physicality and athleticism to compete, 3 years more polish on the skills could see them improve quite a bit.

cos789

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Feb 19, 2004
Sunset Coast
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Subiaco
wookie where are you?

wookie where are you?

wookie where are you?

wookie where are you?

wookie where are you?

Last edited:

cos789

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Feb 19, 2004
Sunset Coast
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Subiaco
wookie where are you?

wookie where are you?

wookie where are you?

wookie where are you?

wookie where are you?

Last edited:

HiReception

Club Legend
Aug 8, 2010
Exiled to Adelaide
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
What do you guys think can be done to fix the format in 2017? Assuming it's the same number of teams as this time (no guarantee) it's difficult to have a fair pool system followed by a bracket. The Sevens Rugby is probably the high watermark; pool matches for the first half (with seeding to minimise blowouts), and a knockout system that both keeps teams together on skill level, and allows each team to play the same number of games (even though that doesn't actually happen in Sevens).

I had an idea for a six-team system that could work, and I wanted to know your opinion of it.

Group Stage
Just like the 2011 tournament, teams are placed into six groups of three, and play one match against each other in the group. The difference being that the matches are full-length (so instead of all being on one day, they'd be spaced over three days like this year).

The top team in each group goes into Division 1, the second team to Division 2, and the last team into Division 3. I've made the divisional split as early as feasible to minimise the number of times a high-level team plays a low-level team (while still making it possible, in case teams want to challenge themselves as was speculated).

Divisional knockout
Each division (1,2 and 3) uses the same structure, essentially a modified six-team version of the McIntyre Final Eight. Probably the most contentious point of this system is the use of a "Lucky Loser"; the six teams play in three games (the Qualifying Finals), and the three winners are joined in the Semi-finals by the highest-ranked of the three losers. This loser plays the highest-ranked winner in the Semi - this gives them the most difficult opponent, and also makes sure there can't be a repeat fixture from the first round. Naturally, the two winners of the Semi-Finals play in the Division Final (or in Division 1's case, the Grand Final) for the title.

The other two Qualifying Final losers play against each other on the same day as the Semi-finals. I don't really have a good name for this game, so let's just call it the "Rebound Game". Since both teams are out of contention for the championship, this game is used to decide the other Place Playoffs. The winner will play in the 3rd/4th playoff against the higher-ranked semi-final loser, and the loser will play in the 5th/6th playoff against the other semi loser. (Note that this may lead to two teams who met in the Qualifying Finals meeting again on the final day.)

I know this sounds confusing (hey, it is a McIntyre derivative...) so I've tried to represent it in a diagram, with an example running included.

IC%20Format%20Proposal.png

In terms of deciding each division's champion these extra (red) games are largely irrelevant, but it means each team plays the same number of games (2 Group games and 3 knockout games), and decides a complete set of placings across the tournament.

So what do you think? Do you have any ideas as to a better format idea for the next IC?

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
I like the format, however it has a few issues. First is, being the IC, there may well be 19 or 20 teams. They are not going to tell teams willing and able to come that they cannot just so they have the right number for their preferred format.

Second, how do you rank teams to go into the groups fairly. If you base it on world footy rankings, and head each of the groups by one of the top 6 ranked teams. A couple of options, 6 groups 1 - 6 headed by the top ranked teams 1 - 6, you then put 7th ranked team in the group headed by the 6th ranked team. team 8 goes in group 5, until the 12 th ranked team goes in the grout with the top team.

An alternative, put the top 6 teams in a pot, 7-12 and 13-18 in different pots. For each group, draw one from each pot.

cos789

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Feb 19, 2004
Sunset Coast
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Subiaco
wookie where are you?

wookie where are you?

wookie where are you?

wookie where are you?

wookie where are you?

Last edited:

HiReception

Club Legend
Aug 8, 2010
Exiled to Adelaide
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I like the format, however it has a few issues. First is, being the IC, there may well be 19 or 20 teams. They are not going to tell teams willing and able to come that they cannot just so they have the right number for their preferred format.

Of course, I had that in mind. I chose 18 teams because that's been the number for the last two tournaments, and because there are practically already models drawn up for a 20-team Group-then-knockout tournament (from other sports).

Second, how do you rank teams to go into the groups fairly. If you base it on world footy rankings, and head each of the groups by one of the top 6 ranked teams. A couple of options, 6 groups 1 - 6 headed by the top ranked teams 1 - 6, you then put 7th ranked team in the group headed by the 6th ranked team. team 8 goes in group 5, until the 12 th ranked team goes in the grout with the top team.

An alternative, put the top 6 teams in a pot, 7-12 and 13-18 in different pots. For each group, draw one from each pot.

That was a sticking point, and I'd suggest either the zig-zagging system (like you said, 1-6 in each group, 7-12 backwards, then 13-18 forward) or the draw. Another issue is how to seed teams going into the knockouts. For example, in Division 1 (the six group winners), do you seed them based on wins/percentage, or on original seeds?

To add to Jatz's comment the divisions don't fall neatly. There are 3 levels of skill - the newcomers, the experienced and the proficient.
And the lines are blurred. We had a very competitive final four with another four teams vying for the fourth spot making 8 top teams.
But nobody knew that before the start of the competition.
Whatever is decided - it has to be flexible for maximum evenness but that makes scheduling a nightmare.

That's true, but it's possible that this level of evenness was due to the fixturing; even with the pool system it was a partial draw, and teams were ranked in the main ladder based on their records against completely different teams. A 3x6 system, in my opinion, would remove this issue.

In any event, I also drew up ways to decide groups of four and eight teams, with all the teams still playing exactly three games. So you could change the structure to have (as in the 2014 comp) the Top 4, eight in the middle and six at the bottom, or three sets of four and one of six (in any order), or some other combination.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
A system that has lots of small groups works best to me. Pick the groups to make them as even as possible, and then the teams play all the other teams in their group. The system this time where the groups were bigger, but they didnt play all the teams in the group meant that where the mid ranked teams finished was largely down to their draw, not their ability. eg USA beating Canada fairly comfortably, but finishing well below them due to a run of more difficult games.

cos789

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Feb 19, 2004
Sunset Coast
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Subiaco
wookie where are you?

wookie where are you?