HF: McGuane West Zorko
F: Green Brown Staker

(17) Gold Coast:
HF Martin Day Hall
FF Matera Lynch Dixon

(18) Western Bulldogs:

HF Crameri Jones Stringer
FF Dahlhaus Campbell Dickson
For Adelaide you wrote Podsiadly and J-Pod they are the same person, you forgot Walker and with Walker I would put them up about 5 ranks.. Also you got the Geelong one wrong completely, one doesn't play at all, one isn't a forward at all and is an elite mid. I suggest replacing it with the one in my provided post above this quote.

For Adelaide you wrote Podsiadly and J-Pod they are the same person, you forgot Walker and with Walker I would put them up about 5 ranks.. Also you got the Geelong one wrong completely, one doesn't play at all, one isn't a forward at all and is an elite mid. I suggest replacing it with the one in my provided post above this quote.

No I didn't - JPod is Podsiadly and Porp is Porplyzia. They are 2 different people that surnames starts with P. I am confused at how you could become confused by this?

How I came up with these forward lines was to get the consensus off the teams boards for best 22 for round 1. I copied it off the team boards - if you think they are wrong take it up with them.

The Crows forward line is better than Ports?

Hurley, Hooker and Fletcher made Norths forward line look s**t.
I guess a few names written on paper it looks good but when they are under the pump they turn to water.

Gee you went early after round 1. Your season could finish this weekend while we lock in finals. You should know by now never jump on the essendon band wagon after round 1. Its normally all down hill after that.

No I didn't - JPod is Podsiadly and Porp is Porplyzia. They are 2 different people that surnames starts with P. I am confused at how you could become confused by this?

How I came up with these forward lines was to get the consensus off the teams boards for best 22 for round 1. I copied it off the team boards - if you think they are wrong take it up with them.

The Crows forward line is better than Ports?
No, I didn't mention Porp and I know who Porplyzia is, click my last post and press the quote from you and check Adelaide yourself you wrote
(11) Adelaide:
HF: Douglas J-Pod Porp
FF: Betts Podsiadly Kerridge

Should be
Douglas Walker Porp
Betts Podsiadly Kerridge

No, I didn't mention Porp and I know who Porplyzia is, click my last post and press the quote from you and check Adelaide yourself you wrote
(11) Adelaide:

Should be
Douglas Walker Porp
Betts Podsiadly Kerridge

Cotcha now - I don't think you have gone past Port but should be ranked higher than I had them - maybe 8th now. But there are alot I would change now - a lot are a long way out - either up or down. Will do one at years end to compare.

Cotcha now - I don't think you have gone past Port but should be ranked higher than I had them - maybe 8th now. But there are alot I would change now - a lot are a long way out - either up or down. Will do one at years end to compare.
Btw 12-18 seems about right. Would swap Fremante (currently 8) and Collingwood (currently 4) around though, they're too overrated. Move Port up to 5th, Geelong down to 6th, Adelaide up to 7th with North at 8.

Where are you on the Swans V Hawks debate?
I may actually go with Hawthorn there they have been better without Buddy we just can not see that clearly enough with all their great players being injured, I have no doubt about it that if Hawthorn and Sydney played full strength forward lines against a weak club, the same weak club as each other that Hawthorn will score more and have more goal kickers. I would rather have Breust, Gunston & Roughhead kicking 50 possibly 60+ a year each than Buddy and Franklin kicking 60 each.

I may actually go with Hawthorn there they have been better without Buddy we just can not see that clearly enough with all their great players being injured, I have no doubt about it that if Hawthorn and Sydney played full strength forward lines against a weak club, the same weak club as each other that Hawthorn will score more and have more goal kickers. I would rather have Breust, Gunston & Roughhead kicking 50 possibly 60+ a year each than Buddy and Franklin kicking 60 each.

Tippett and Buddy have only played a couple of games together. Tippett has played 5 games and goodes 10. Get these 2 close to fully fit come finals and the 3 will be hard to stop. Goodes has kicked 3 goals V Cats, Port and WCE.

I also think Parker is under rated - will be close to AA. But what the Swans do differently is to play their backs and mids as forwards. Parker, McVeigh & Jack. They have a lot of options to rotate though.

I agree about the Hawks kicking a higher score - but that is how the 2 teams play - the Hawks are much more attacking. They give their forwards more opportunity. They play soon - will be a great game.

(11) Adelaide:

Should be
Douglas Walker Porp
Betts Podsiadly Kerridge

Wild Bill, Jason Porplyzia (dropped after round 2, only came back in against Port due to injuries) and Sam Kerridge (plays as a tagger) were never in our best front 6. Replace them with Tom Lynch and Josh Jenkins and you're getting close to our actual forward line.

HF: Cameron Walker Lynch
FF: Podsiadly Jenkins Betts

ADL^ He forgot Walker before. I really hope your club gives Johnston a chance next year.

Pretty sure he's out of contract at the end of the season, he's recovering from quite a serious injury at the moment so I don't like his chances unfortunately. Great with the ball in his hands but probably doesn't do enough without it to be a success at AFL level in my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dangerfield Walker Lynch
Jenkins Podsiadly Betts

That is better than the 8th best forward line, its one of the best, we actually play forwards in our forward line

(1) Sydney:
HF: Parker Buddy Jetta
FF: McGlynn Tippett Goodes

(2) Hawthorn:
HF: Shiels Roughead Puopolo
FF: Breust Gunston Hale

(3) West Coast:
HF: Wellingham Kennedy Cox/Natanui
FF: LeCras Darling Hill

(4) Collingwood:
HF: Fasoslo Cloke Sidebottom
F: White Dwyer

(5) Geelong:
HF: Duncan, Brown, Bartel
FF: Kersten, Hawkins, Varcoe

(6) Port Adelaide:
HF: Wingard Westhoff Gray
FF: Monfries Schulz Butcher

(7) North Melbourne:
HF: Adams Black Harvey
FF: Thomas Petrie

(8) Fremantle:
HF: Mayne Gumbleton Deboer
FF: Ballantyne Pavlich Walters

(6) Richmond:
HF: King Riewoldt S Edwards
F: Griffiths Vickery Martin

(10) Melbourne:
HF: JKH Hogan Salem
FF: Watts Dawes Trengrove
(Howe playing down back)

(11) Adelaide:

(12) Essendon:
FF: Chapman Carlisle Zaka
HF: Kommer Daniher Winderlich

(13) Carlton:
HF: Menzel Henderson Yarran
F: Gartlett Waite Everitt

(14) GWS:
HF: Lamb Cameron Tomlinson
FF: Boyd Patton Smith

(15) St Kilda:
HF Stanley Riewoldt Markworth
FF Curren Lee Schneider

(16) Brisbane:
HF: McGuane West Zorko
F: Green Brown Staker

(17) Gold Coast:
HF Martin Day Hall
FF Matera Lynch Dixon

(18) Western Bulldogs:

HF Crameri Jones Stringer
FF Dahlhaus Campbell Dickson

We should be third on that list

Dangerfield Walker Lynch
Jenkins Podsiadly Betts

And you have us behind melbourne (you have to be joking), richmond (wow), fremantle (there main forward has kicked 8 goals for the year), north (petrie been horrible, black been horrible, adams is a midfielder and so is harvey most of the time), Port Adelaide (They are missing a third tall massively, huge hole in their forward line when westhoff goes in the ruck), Geelong (you've included 3 midfielders, and 2 spuds who haven't played ten games), collingwood (their forward line is cloke or bust), west coast (3 forwards in darling, kennedy and lecras are good. Wellingham is a midfielder, hill is finished, and naitanui is honestly a spud).

Sydney have the best one comfortable, Hawks are almost as good as sydney. Adelaide the best of the rest

Dangerfield Walker Lynch
Jenkins Podsiadly Betts

And you have us behind melbourne (you have to be joking), richmond (wow), fremantle (there main forward has kicked 8 goals for the year), north (petrie been horrible, black been horrible, adams is a midfielder and so is harvey most of the time), Port Adelaide (They are missing a third tall massively, huge hole in their forward line when westhoff goes in the ruck), Geelong (you've included 3 midfielders, and 2 spuds who haven't played ten games), collingwood (their forward line is cloke or bust), west coast (3 forwards in darling, kennedy and lecras are good. Wellingham is a midfielder, hill is finished, and naitanui is honestly a spud).

Sydney have the best one comfortable, Hawks are almost as good as sydney. Adelaide the best of the rest
You'll have to excuse this person, hes never heard of Matthew Pavlich.

Dangerfield Walker Lynch
Jenkins Podsiadly Betts

I will explain in March what I did. Again.

Went onto the team boards and put together the best 22 for round 1. Now Walker was injured and on none of the Crows best 22 for round 1 teams. If you are not happy with any of the 6 named head back to the team boards in March and post how disappointed you are with their efforts.

As for the Roos - we were the 3rd highest scoring team in 2013.

1. Hawthorn (Roughy, Gunston, Breust)
2. Sydney (Franklin, Tippett, Reid)
3. Adelaide (Betts, Walker, Pods, Dangerfield)
4. Port Adelaide (Schulz, Wingard, Gray)
5. West Coast (Kennedy, Darling, LeCras)
6. Fremantle (Pav, Balla, Walters, Maine)

That's the Top 6 in my opinion. Bottom 3 would be Bulldogs, Brisbane and Saints.

Hawthorn = #1
Sydney = #2

But best in the future... let's look at the expansion clubs (assuming all players stay, which is unlikely, more so for GWS then for GCS)

Gold Coast Suns

HF: Harley Bennell - Sam Day - Brandon Matera
FP: Charlie Dixon - Tom Lynch - Aaron Hall
Will be very good (depending whether they all stay or if some decide to come home)

Greater Western Sydney Giants

HF: Devon Smith - Jeremy Cameron - Jed Lamb/Resting Midfielder
FF: Thomas Boyd - Jonathon Patton - Will Hoskin-Elliot

Scary stuff if they were to stay together (which is doubtful, to say the least).

Best 4 6-forward lines on paper (in my opinion):

Hawthorn - 1383 inside 50s, 319 marks inside 50, 418 goals 288 behinds
  • Average over season (25 games): 55.3 I50s, 12.76 MI50s, 16.7 goals, 11.5 behinds, 59.2% GA

Sydney - 1406 inside 50s, 302 marks inside 50, 351 goals 323 behinds
  • 56.24 I50s, 12.1 MI50s, 14 goals, 12.9 behinds, 52.1% GA

Port - 1405 inside 50s, 344 marks inside 50, 362 goals 339 behinds
  • 56.2 I50s, 13.8 MI50s, 14.5 goals, 13.6 behinds, 51.6% GA

West Coast - 1118 inside 50s, 230 marks inside 50, 300 goals 245 behinds
  • (22 games): 50.8 I50s, 10.5 MI50s, 13.6 goals, 11.1 behinds, 55% GA

From that, Hawthorn clearly have the most efficient and clinical forward line - a GA well above the others. Port have the capacity to improve their goalkicking and work their way up as an efficient forward line, perhaps having Westhoff spend more time deep forward with Ryder roaming will improve that. But I think it's pretty clear Hawthorn do have a better forward line than Sydney - or even if it's not as full of big names - it's objectively more efficient - get more marks from less inside 50s, and as kicking accurately is a critical component of a functioning forward line (see Port PF, Fremantle SF) the Hawks get a lot of points for that - convert I50s to scoring shots 51% of the time, while Sydney convert I50s to scoring shots 48% of the time - add in Hawks accuracy, and they are pretty clearly better. I attempted to find other stats such as tackles inside 50, repeat inside 50 entries and who the inside 50 entries were directed at (i.e. bit difficult to judge a forward on their efficiency if some of the inside 50s are just bombs to an empty forward line etc) but could not find these - I believe these are all critical in assessing forward lines, as forward lines are part of the defensive line now, and strong pressure and repeat entries will most likely lead to a goal eventually.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back