macca23

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 16, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
I posted this on the good bad and ugly thread, but IMO its worth discussion in its own right.It's self-explanatory IMO.

My good bad and ugly is more about how I feel about the Adelaide Football club.

Absolutely pissed off as I have been for some time now.

This coaching panel is the dumbest collection of individuals as coaches that I have seen for many a long day.

Game plan is crap because the players can't execute it. I'm assuming there is one, but apart from a million too many handballs and gifting goals to the opposition which is a staple part of our game every week, there's not much else that can identify it.

Selection is riddled with mistakes every week, match-ups are wrong every week, no ability to alter the course of a game as it slides down the gurgler.

We have no outside game, we don't spread - and this is a massive weakness in our game - instead we stand in clumps to make it easier for the opposition.

As for the players, we have too many stupid players in our team. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
Many of these players are going backwards in their development, not forwards. Established players are performing at about a half rat power and nowhere near their capacity.

The fitness staff are B grade and need to be tossed out and replaced with the best in the land, not the guy who was there when our good fitness coach left.

Chapman, this club is in major trouble. Major. It needs a massive cleanout. Massive. no half arsed efforts like you've dished up to date. Personally I doubt whether you are capable of doing what must be done going on past records, but hopefully Ricciuto and co will force you to do what must be done if you want this football club to be successful and hold onto its supporters.

And if you do what must be done, then get your bloody cheque book out as you should've earlier this year re the fitness guy and get the best in the land. Not the 2nd best, the best. Money can't be an object or this club will be consigned to mediocrity forever.

Oh yes, maybe, just maybe, all the results next week will roll our way and we might sneak into the 8 with 11 wins. 11 bloody wins. We will get creamed and embarrassed if we make the finals.

The ball's in your court Chapman if you want this club to be a success. JUST DO IT.

Even if we made the finals with 12 or 13 wins, we'd still probably get creamed and embarrassed. We are not at the same level of Sydney/Hawthorn/Freo/Geelong. And whilst we have shown we can match it with Port, they are on the up, and we are still inconsistent. Making the finals (if even to be creamed and embarrassed) became an important experience opportunity for the kids - once it was clear we weren't going to be consistent (after losing the second game that we should have won). I'd personally still like to see us make it into the 8 for that reason alone.

Apart from that, I agree with almost everything else you've written.

M23 great thread and post

IMO we have some great talent on our list however we are not putting the best possible resources around them to enable the team to be successful

If missing the finals once again forces a major shift in thinking and drives good change then I can cop an early season holiday however what I can't cop is the lack of consequence management that has made this club mediocre

This is pretty much spot on.

The main thing for me is we cannot wait, the Crows have to be something they haven't been in a long time (perhaps ever) and that is ruthless. I feel bad saying this but we have to be like Fremantle and go out and make a good coach come here now. As I said, we cannot wait, we cannot afford to waste another two years of development or of players in their prime on such a dumb pack of coaches.

My fear is we will waste two years and we will have some players that will never reach the heights that they could have under more competant coaches. (Sorry I should say under competant coaches, I would hardly call the Crows coaching staff even a little competant).

Chapman will say that the club is running very well off field even though the onfield success may be lacking.
Look at our Crowds and membership. Look at Adelide Oval. The future is bright blah blah.

On paper we have a very talented list he might say with a young up and coming coach who is popular with the young list.

He also might say that now the draft restrictions are lifted we can look forward to entering the draft in the first round.

He might also mention the club is looking to be in the black again due to healthy membership and the popularity of AO.

Not sure if he would mention that Roo is now on the board and may make a play for his position sometime soon.
One can only hope.

Chapman will say that the club is running very well off field even though the onfield success may be lacking.
Look at our Crowds and membership. Look at Adelide Oval. The future is bright blah blah.

On paper we have a very talented list he might say with a young up and coming coach who is popular with the young list.

He also might say that now the draft restrictions are lifted we can look forward to entering the draft in the first round.

He might also mention the club is looking to be in the black again due to healthy membership and the popularity of AO.

Not sure if he would mention that Roo is now on the board and may make a play for his position sometime soon.
One can only hope.

I love Adelaide as a town, "we're doing great" (just keeping our heads above water) "our admin are doing a great job" (fact we are still afloat is due to outside circumstances and inspite of staff incompetence).

Money is not the only thing intelligent successful football coaches/assistants look at when accepting offers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The worst thing is we've managed to hit s**t at the absolute worst time possible. We've been draft sanctioned just when the talent pool has become extremely diluted. The level of performance from the teams in the 6-12 range this year has been worse than most other years I can recall and yet 3 or 4 bog average clubs will be playing finals football. Of all those clubs I'd suggest we're the worst placed in terms of list profile too.

A painful exercise is to look at the players on our list and ask How many have improved? The answer is Smith, Jaensch and Jacobs.

I'd suggest that just about every other player in our lineup has either performed at the same level or gone backwards. Our entire lists skill level has gone backwards (FYI I mentioned this earlier, would love to know the KPI's internally regarding skills and development are).

Our forward entries are diabolical, our lack of pace is exploited weekly without fail, our structures are non existent as is our plan b (I'm not even sure there's a rigid plan a).

The other harsh reality of the Adelaide Football Club that much of our fanbase needs to realise is that our list actually isn't that good.

Players 1-6 aren't the problem, in my opinion they match up just as well as any other club. 7-22 are a significant issue and 23-40 are diabolical.

We have years of pain on the horizon and yet our culture is to fight tooth and nail to remain relevant (ie finish as middle of the road as possible).

I'd rather take some development and drop into the bottom 6 for a couple years than constantly 'contend' without developing the future. To actually achieve that development I personally feel the coaches box needs dismantling. Get senior figures in. Get proven winners. Get rid of anyone with significant experience in the AFC coaches box. Leave Sando there but on notice that he's being watched and if the key focus areas don't start to improve with this new team supporting him then he can pack his bags. We have to stop this rot because culturally we stink (even more than our on field performances do). Sadly, we all know nothing's changing.

Horrible sailing ahead IMO.

We're ****ed for a while.

On field, the Tippett sanctions will really start to burn from here onwards. Our depth already looks poor, and besides maybe Crouch 2 (though the jury is still out) we have nobody coming through with anything resembling star quality. We're now desperate for players that will improve our team. Nobody is coming through. It's incredibly hard to see how we can improve enough to challenge the best teams with our current squad. When we consider Mackay an important enough player to give 4 years, there's trouble.

Off field we're making losses. We moronically put all our eggs into the footy park basket with the new training/function centre a few years back and we'll be behind the 8-ball financially for a while yet because of it. If we don't manage to resolve this stadium deal issue, we'll be double-****ed.

With the numbers we draw, and the prices people are willing to pay to be members, we should be a freaking powerhouse - on and off the field. Instead, we're mediocre. We've drawn more people through the gates than any side, yet we can't afford to lure over the best coaches, administrators and support staff in the league. Noble's doing 6 jobs, Bicks is still coaching the forwards, Bailey's former position still hasn't been filled. Things are really not good, and it's bloody hard to be optimistic.

At least we have a passionate, proud supporter base who have rallied, rather than jumping overboard, when things have been tough.

I'd like to see us get some swagger back.

Sign Frawley, sign Goldsack. Bang. Defense sorted. Throw the cash, establish ourselves as a free agent destination.

Make a splash with fitness coach.
Hire a big name senior assistant.

Say to everyone with AO sorted, we're going places.

Sign the best CEO possible, not more of the same. Get someone aggressive who can think outside the box.

All of which is possible and within our control. Just think how it would energise the supporters in the offseason, and how it will energise the players.

It wouldn't need to be said but Sando would know by our new approach he was on notice

We have no outside game, we don't spread - and this is a massive weakness in our game - instead we stand in clumps to make it easier for the opposition.

I was thinking about this today. Sando (and a lot of supporters) keep saying we need outside runners but it looks like we have no outside structure/plan. It's not like North Melbourne's squad was fast given Wells and Boomer were out but I could see their outside setup worked. It looks to me like we lack a quality outside game plan, not players. Our list isn't actually that slow, it's just that we play all of our quick players forward or back and then go "we don't have outside players".

Now the SANFL aren't controlling the club anymore the culture can be changed to being ruthless. The SANFL didn't want to upset the afl as they were taking so much money out of the afl clubs. That's changed now.

Man, I really love your passion for the club Macca23. You're my hero mate. if only they knew...."customers"....pffft,,

Remove this Banner Ad

Back