Other All things Snooker

Remove this Banner Ad

Got there :cool: Interesting frame that one, both players missing easy ones, then a snooker battle, Neil wins the frame and goes 3-2 up

He's up against Jamie Jones next - Jones is an unknown quantity to me, the scoreline against Maguire is convincing, but looking at the frame scores Maguire looked seriously out of form. Trump v. McManus is the pick of Rnd 2 for mine.

Neil put in a poor showing in the Riga Open, the first major European tournament for the season. He lost 3-4 to Jak Jones in Round 4. He's back though for the Paul Hunter Classic which starts on the 20th of August in Furth, Bavaria (8 hours behind us). He first appears in Round 4 in match 127 (11.30am venue time on the 23rd) and plays Elliot Slessor (unknown to me). He is joined in Round 4 by, as far as I know, Australia's only other member of the professional circuit, Steve Mifsud. Mifsud will be playing Thepchaiya Un-Nooh in match 115 (12.30pm venue time on the 22nd). Un-Nooh had a good showing in the Riga Open against Marco Fu, going down 4-3 in Round 4. If Neil wins his games in rounds 4 and 5 he could find himself playing Anthony McGill, who had a strong showing at Riga. McGill beat Fergal O'Brien, Graeme Dott, Matthew Selt, and Judd Trump (winner of the Australian Open) before losing 4-3 to Mark Allen in a Semi-final.

Last edited:
Mifsud was bundled out of his Round 4 best of 7 match in 4 straight frames. It was not a competitive showing (50+ breaks in parentheses):

69 (52) - 7
68 - 10
75 (62) - 0
81 - 22

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Robertson wins the 7th frame to advance to the next round. Slessor gave him a lot of practice there and let the match slip at several points, though his snookering was good. Neil next plays either Vinnie Calabrese or Jimmy Robertson at 3am our time.

I forgot - Vinnie Calabrese is also Australian. He's Neil's practice partner. He currently leads his game 2-1. It could be an all Australian game this morning.

Neil is out of the Shanghai Masters without reaching the quarter finals. I can't help but wonder if making that century of centuries wasn't a smart idea.

How do you rate his chances?
To be completely honest mate I don't really have too much knowledge about snooker, just really enjoy watching it. But I think if he plays to his full potential he can beat anyone in the world. Won't get to watch it live but will watch it the next day :D
How do you rate his chances?

Also really enjoy watching Ronnie, he's so smooth on the table. Has the ball on a string!

( ... writing this before I check the scores ... ) Neil's chances: like you say, on his day he can beat anyone, but for most of the season his form has been so poor that it's hard to get behind him. Perhaps this being a non-ranking tournament will help him to loosen up a bit. He did OK in the International Championship, but he's still way behind his best. I think he's playing Bingham ... Bingham's been one of the form players of the season and is playing excellent snooker against other in-form players. (I'm looking forward to.more Stuart Bingham/Mark Allen matches.) If we were going on form alone, I'd have to go for Bingham. It's Neil's last chance for some kind of proper match practice before the UK Championship so he'll want something to go right!

Ronnie's amazing to watch, and it does look like he has the ball on a string. (He reckons it looks like that because he plays to leave the cue ball with options for the next shot, rather than trying to get one specific objective achieved). I was so surprised that he lost to Mark Williams in the International Championship. I decided to call it a night when he was about 3-4 frames up in their match (best of 11); he just looked so fresh and hungry. Got a big surprise when I woke up the next day and checked the scores. Another good one to watch I find is Rod 'the plod' Lawler - total opposite of Ronnie, insanely slow.

Unfortunately I'm not getting to watch this tournament - waiting to see if matches are uploaded to youtube. I'm a bit jealous there. I would like to see the Steve Davis, Judd Trump, and Mark Selby matches.

OK - now to check the scores.

.... ah - Neil's playing Ali Carter. Well, it's not pleasant to say it, but Carter's been seriously ill recently, as you probably know, and hasn't had much snooker. I think Neil will take that match.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back