Review AFL Round 22 autopsy - Hawthorn defeats Geelong by 23 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Varcoe….25 possessions at 80% from 76% game time , 8 marks, 2 tackles, a goal assist and great attack on the ball….dont know what he has to do to get a tick from some posters…not that it matters anyway.
Gee, only TWO tackles??? He'd wanna have a damn good excuse! :mad:

And his pressure act count would want to be better than it's been in past weeks!! :mad:

;)

Our coach seems happy enough to select him pretty regularly- none of us know the true expectations he has of TV, but I'm comfortable that CS saw enough of him in the 2011 finals to be a little indebted, and patience is a virtue, as he could well be coming good given tonight's output.
Really- he's been criticised for an 8 possession tagging, invisible game, now he is fully involved with a 25 possession game and they are not first possessions. He will struggle to win over many detractors, I know.
Anyway, my homework now is to assess each players numbers... of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd possessions.
I'd like to think personally that I can be objective with him, rather than being a detractor or a part of his fan club, last week he wasn't too good, but tonight he was much better, and that is encouraging to say the least.

Before this game I had him as an out for the hawks, tonight's game means I won't be doing the same this week.

Don't take assessments of Varcoe as a personal insult and you won't have as much homework!! ;)
Not at all, I'm pretty sure most players with high numbers are not first possessions, AM brought up an interesting point that I had not appreciated. I thrive on homework, and again, defending TV is not a hobby or a personal thing, but he will struggle now to win friends and influence BF Catfans.

He also doesn't acknowledge the 2008 flag just like the rest of us.
Was there a grand final in '08 was there.... I distinctly cannot remember there being one;):p

Their entries inside 50 were of noticeably better quality than they usually are against us - Taylor and Lonergan are usually among our most influential against the Hawks - but I'm not sure that was so much a function of Clarkson instructing his players to lower their eyes more than usual as it was our defenders being left exposed by the speed of their transition from their back 50.
I guess we were a bit lucky they missed a few, too ;)

Tom seemed to have his goal-kicking boots on early but the laces seemed to come undone a but after the half-time break. It was as if our boys had sent out their shadows to fight the Hawks in the second half. Should we call for a drug test? ;)

I'm really not enjoying the 5-10 goal opposition run-ons this year. Once they hit 3 in a row, that sinking feeling comes and you know we are either going to lose or kick a winning goal with something like bloody 2:43 remaining... which is just excruciatingly long when you're trying to hang on.

I much preferred it when we ran teams down... Remember that? We'd be 5-7 goals down and we'd just go nuts and kick 7 in 16 minutes. We'd win by the skin of our teeth, lucky to get away with it, and be praised for our fighting spirit. Now we let our opponents do the 7 in 16 fun bit, win by the skin of our teeth, lucky to get away with it, and get criticised for our lapses.

I feel like a North supporter now.

(Self-indulgent whine now over).
I think we used to be the best red-time team of the lot.... once upon a time ... (Probably in a land far, far away :()
We'd hold out the attackers besieging our backline then, in the last few minutes of the game, kick three in two minutes :(

Ay, laddie, I remember it as if 'twas yesterday.... :(

Well im glad Port are back in business - because i cant stand the other 3 - and i need something to keep me interested in September - because Geelong have got no hope - today was the big test - and they capitulated like a pricked balloon- pretty similar to the Suns game - 3 goals up in the 3rd and lose by 40 - 6 goals up against GWS - and scramble home

Its been pretty obvious - unless your delusional or blind - that the 110 point flogging in Sydney - thats when the curtain was closed on the flag winning era - i just hope in the finals - they keep it to respectable losing margins - because in 2 weeks time Hawthorn aernt going to be jumped at the start - to the tune of 5 goals behind at half time - no way

Lets hope it rains - it might give the Cats a flukers hope

Yeah I looked. Doesn't mean that his attitude didn't suck in his entry post tonight.
As Bobby_ would be able to tell you from previous conversations, I'm a pretty positive person, quite optimistic, not just in football but in life as well.

Even I'm a bit flat tonight... So forgive him if he's a bit down in the dumps tonight, most of us will feel better in the morning.... * I hope I'm cheerier tomorrow or it's going to be a loooooonnnng day:(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Roughead = 3 goals behind Franklin in Coleman.

I think that dumb ass tripping suspension is going to end up costing him a second Coleman. Hopefully he can kick 10 against the Pies.
Wrong game thread, I think, mate ;) You'd be looking for the Hawks board? Take a right turn just after the water fountain and it's on the left.

As Bobby_ would be able to tell you from previous conversations, I'm a pretty positive person, quite optimistic, not just in football but in life as well.

Even I'm a bit flat tonight... So forgive him if he's a bit down in the dumps tonight, most of us will feel better in the morning.... **** I hope I'm cheerier tomorrow or it's going to be a loooooonnnng day:(
Ahhh, this is where Alzheimer's comes in VERY handy :)

Ha nope, the avatar is more just a subtle sledge at incessantly whinging Hawthorn supporters. The tear in the eye of the Hawk is so suitable!

This is the first time it has caused angst on this board....
Subtle > suitable?

Ahhh, this is where Alzheimer's comes in VERY handy :)
I don't need Alzheimer's when I have this at my disposal

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408805141.116525.jpg

Now unfortunately I've had to use this 2-3 times this year. So FFS cats can you please make it the last time!:mad::p

Not at all, I'm pretty sure most players with high numbers are not first possessions, AM brought up an interesting point that I had not appreciated. I thrive on homework, and again, defending TV is not a hobby or a personal thing, but he will struggle now to win friends and influence BF Catfans.
I would assume that inside players all won lots of first possessions, the rest of the boys get the leftovers.
If we have 10 possessions from backline to goal, how do you differentiate first passes? Is it the player who starts off the chain?
There wouldn't be a heap of first passes up for grabs, if that's the case.

What a silly concept!

Tale of two halves is the very simplistic way to look at it but is the correct way.

It was a sparring session, neither team played 'win at all costs' football. Both teams landed a couple of good blows and of course they won it on points but it means bugger all for the two weeks times.

We hit top gear in the first half then went into our shell and changed the way we played, we didn't pressure them the way we did in the first and we didn't run through the middle and kick long like we did in the first either. They weren't allowed to play there usual game in the first half and when we let them they came back and well the rest is history.

Match ups were also another odd one; Taylor spent a lot of time on Spangher, Lonergan went to Roughead and Gutherie ran with Lewis. The second half also saw Selwood and a lot of out A grade mids out of the middle and playing around the flanks which changed the way the game was played.

I really don't think there are many negatives to take out of tonight, same with positives. IF we play at 100% for more than a half I give us a really good chance at winning.

Some commentator on the radio as I drove home form the G said the the Hawks just stepped their game up in the second half and when they did that, we had no answers to their best football.
Have some concerns that may be true on the strength of tonight and it has never been true before really.
Still can't believe Hawthorn can pull themselves together after so many injuries etc. How could they look so much fresher than us in the second half? Doesn't make sense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back