Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Josh Gibson
Handballs 13Kicks 15 Disposals 28
Marks 8....He had a great game:)

Thought that was more a reflection of how much the ball came inside our defensive 50 in the first half. Definitely thought he looked less assured than usual when trying to kill a contest, but offensive game was doing ok.

kimbopen

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2005
gc_26=geelong choke by 26
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Chris Scott has some real problems when a. congratulating the hawks and b. coming to grips where his team really is at.

They stopped completely at half time. They are fortunate to be in the top 4 and are keeping teams like North and Port out...from a couple of cheap games they won off Carlton..by way of ineptitude of their favourite umpires.

In short Chris Scott is a TWAT!

That's offensive to a TWAT!

Twats are at least useful!

Dec 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man City, Box Hill Hawks
I thought we were gone at half time. Was fearing it could be a blowout with our boys coming back from Perth 6 days ago. Geelong to that point were playing the best footy they have all year. Would love to know what Clarko said at HT.

Typical, classic, vintage Hawthorn to turn it on when we're really up against it.

Huge victory. Couldn't be prouder of our football club.

1. McEvoy was our most important player tonight. His good game in the VFL was the kick up the ass to Hale that he needed and seemed to play him into form. Needs to back it up though.

2. We got better once the very limited Suckling was taken out of the backline. The timing of the turnaround is not coincidental.

3. Brad Hill needs to be locked in a dark room with a giant screen for the next week, fed only bread and water, and shown a continuous loop of Langford's game tape so he can learn how to ******* run STRAIGHT at the ball, tackle a player with his body and not go to ground so bloody easily.

4. Langford must win the NAB rising star nomination this week, but in typical fashion it was go to some spud in a bottom team playing another lowly team. He and Lewis were paramount to us starting the second half on the right foot. Like a veteran, he saw that something had to be done to lift the side and he delivered.

5. Vintage Stratton.

6. Roughead and Spangher were awesome tonight. Not only did Roughy kick some goals, which is rare against Geelong, he played a decoy role, as did Spangher, and led away to keep their talls out of the action. Not only that, his ferociousness in his tackling was epic. Leaders game by the Rough.

7. In the first half, we only led to the pockets. They would spoil and cause a stoppage. Hard to score goals from that. In the second half, we got it down there quickly and our smalls went to dangerous spots plus our mids did the same. Made it hard for the zoning Geelong players to know who the target was and our players were hit uncontested in between the zoning defenders. Made them potent.

8. They didn't spend the whole game bombing it in. YAY! Only took 11 losses to realise it doesn't work. :thumbsu:

9. Jimmy Bartel will have to go for that. He won't because he's a 'good guy'.

10. Selwood was quite poor. Kept trying to stage for frees, but the Hawks players were wise to it and have been for the last few games. The less he was getting, the more he was trying to win one and the less worried about the game he seemed. Loved the spray Hodge gave the ump when the Geelong player ducked and turned his head into Hodge. Umpire deserved it.

Last edited:

Ranj Sri Lanka

Cancelled
Apr 29, 2009
Welisara, Sri Lanka
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Suckling had a horrible game. Surely Litherland back for him.

That was a crazy game. I still have no idea what happened. Hawthorn were truly aweful in the first half.

Lots of positives to come out of that. Langford, Lewis, Lake, Hale and Ceglar the obvious ones. Maybe the more important ones though were Stratton, Hill and Smith who all got going in the second half.

Suckling getting subbed out was a blessing in disguise as he was terrible during first half. Gus is better than him any day. Our team is complete with Gus and Cyril in for Suckling and another unfortunate soul based on the opposition.

Sep 5, 2007
Gippsland, Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool, Nashville predators
Well, that was a pleasant surprise. Best part was, my eldest daughter who is 8 and has this great arrogance about footy as she just expects us to win.....reminds me a lot of my youth to be honest, was quite annoyed and down hearted at half time but I told her to keep her chin up as Hawthorn V Geelong games are different to normal games in that they always ebb and flow. Suffice to say at 3qtr time she was rapt.

Now, a few things from tonight
1) Will Langford is a star and made for finals
2) Lewis has to be all Australian, if he's not its a bigger farce than normal
3) Hard to know what to make of Geelong after half time, but sitting up in the nose bleeds at the G you get a good view of the game/ground and Geelong are very much a front running team. Regularly stream forward of the ball expecting to win it. When they don't and are under a lot of pressure they struggle. Reckon this is why Freo trouble them. Also showed in second half when our intensity lifted.
4) whilst I thought this game was likely to be a bit ho hum due to the fact we knew we would likely play then in 2 weeks, the passion all the boys showed when we kicked goal after goal in the second half suggested to me that this meant a fair bit to us tonight.
5) ruck dilemma just got worse, who the hell do we go with as both Hale and Ceglar were great and I think McEvoy probably should come back. Really tough call.
6) The Sewell conundrum is no closer to being solved. Langford probably moved further ahead of him tonight, though Sewell was serviceable. Based on their disposal (plus Shiels) can we take them both in to a final??
7) So Tom Lonergan can basically wear his opponents jumper and not have to worry about conceding a free kick then??

Anyway, we won in fantastic fashion, next weeks game is basically just 120 minutes of circle work now so bring on the QF

darcy tyler

Debutant
May 7, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm not saying it changed the game, but how good was it to watch that Rough tackle? It was exactly what I would have tried to do had I been on the field. You don't want them doing anything that isn't within the rules, but I think we just needed to show some more agression at that particular stage. Something to say "Hey, this isn't right."

Big congrats to Roughie tonight :)

Aug 2, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
Basically "We let them play so well in 2nd half" 'I'm not gonna say we put the queue in the rack" but we put the queue in the rack. Knob

A knob AND a sook if you ask me. Between him Selwood and Johnson, I don't know who is worst.

For a side with so much success and being such a professional organisation, one thing Geelong haven't been at particular times this season is humble either IMO.

And was it just me that thought the whole PREMIERSHIP CUP ICE BUCKET CHALLENGE was a big wank trip? Even the Saturday Night Footy guys in their sit-on-the-fence kinda way, alluded to it.

Well the spoilt brats got a deserved slap on the ass this week.

darcy tyler

Debutant
May 7, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I thought Simpkin was an important move - by necessity, I might add. Gave us some more pace and movement.

I was in the Shoey camp up until recently, but I think his seeming inability to mark a player closely is what gets Spangher the nod for the time being.

Couldn't have put it better myself. I love Shoey, but Spang just seems to have a wiser, more football-sensible head on his shoulders (at the moment).

Aug 2, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
Selwood's elbow into Roughead's throat.

BvuZYdhCQAAvo_V.jpg

No hang on...I can see it now. Low force contact...off with you now Joel. You're free to go.

Sep 15, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Our best is simply better than anyone else. We bring our best, we go back to back. It is that simple. Geelong get talked up and the umpires look after them, but that isn't going to help them much. They have a lot of spuds in their team.
The only threat is from the AFL Swans.

Mighty P

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 25, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Roys FFC, Lakers
Great fight-back. It's one thing to say Geelong put the cue in the rack, or they stopped running (which I agree with to a certain extent), but what is undeniable was that 10 goal spree in the 2nd half; at that point they couldn't stop us. And remember we have done it against them multiple times now (only last time we came back from 40 points down they won by 2 points).

I'm confident we will beat them in September. Very confident.

1. McEvoy was our most important player tonight. His good game in the VFL was the kick up the ass to Hale that he needed and seemed to play him into form. Needs to back it up though.

2. We got better once the very limited Suckling was taken out of the backline. The timing of the turnaround is not coincidental.

3. Brad Hill needs to be locked in a dark room with a giant screen for the next week, fed only bread and water, and shown a continuous loop of Langford's game tape so he can learn how to ******* run STRAIGHT at the ball, tackle a player with his body and not go to ground so bloody easily.

4. Langford must win the NAB rising star nomination this week, but in typical fashion it was go to some spud in a bottom team playing another lowly team. He and Lewis were paramount to us starting the second half on the right foot. Like a veteran, he saw that something had to be done to lift the side and he delivered.

5. Vintage Stratton.

6. Roughead and Spangher were awesome tonight. Not only did Roughy kick some goals, which is rare against Geelong, he played a decoy role, as did Spangher, and led away to keep their talls out of the action. Not only that, his ferociousness in his tackling was epic. Leaders game by the Rough.

7. In the first half, we only led to the pockets. They would spoil and cause a stoppage. Hard to score goals from that. In the second half, we got it down there quickly and our smalls went to dangerous spots plus our mids did the same. Made it hard for the zoning Geelong players to know who the target was and our players were hit uncontested in between the zoning defenders. Made them potent.

8. They didn't spend the whole game bombing it in. YAY! Only took 11 losses to realise it doesn't work. :thumbsu:

9. Jimmy Bartel will have to go for that. He won't because he's a 'good guy'.

10. Selwood was quite poor. Kept trying to stage for frees, but the Hawks players were wise to it and have been for the last few games. The less he was getting, the more he was trying to win one and the less worried about the game he seemed. Loved the spray Hodge gave the ump when the Geelong player ducked and turned his head into Hodge. Umpire deserved it.
Go easy on Hill. He's a work in progress. The last bloke we added weight to quickly is now playing at Box Hill and looks as fast as a tractor.

Aug 2, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
Great fight-back. It's one thing to say Geelong put the cue in the rack, or they stopped running (which I agree with to a certain extent), but what is undeniable was that 10 goal spree in the 2nd half; at that point they couldn't stop us. And remember we have done it against them multiple times now (only last time we came back from 40 points down they won by 2 points).

I'm confident we will beat them in September. Very confident.

We did a similar thing against the COLAS last time. 7 goal third quarter.

And I'm with you - pretty confident (like this time) of a win in finals.

Roy boys

Club Legend
Mar 14, 2008
victoria
He doesn't panic with the football in hand, he's actually quite composed......its his disposal by foot that lets him down at times.
I think the amount of marks he drops or ground balls he fumbles in space suggest that he panics but that's only my opinion. This modern day of 18 clubs and a draft it's nigh on impossible to have perfect team.

Back