Fitzroy v Ajax

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
During the week I am a dentist and I missed last week as I was at a dental implant conference in Sydney. I leant quite a deal from the speakers. You can read all the research papers you like but I reckon the only way to learn is to be there. Fitzroy went down to Albert Park Lake to play AJAX, and, we certainly went down, but there is plenty about this season that the supporters from old Fitzroy can be pleased about. Just looking at scores does not tell the story.
One of my favourite patients came in this week without his front tooth. I gave him several unpleasant bits of advice including the ultimate humiliation. I had to tell him ‘I told you so’ as I repaired this tooth last year but informed him that the repair could not last. The patient was a little alarmed that, just before he sat down, he could see me vigorously rubbing my hands. “Gee Phil (he did not say ‘gee’); you shouldn’t be rubbing your hands at my discomfort”. I clean and disinfect my hands using alcohol hand rubs now. Soap has gone the way of the drop kick. Now, we have had few wins late in this season, but there is plenty that we Fitzroy people can be rubbing our hands at; roll on next year.
AJAX started with the breeze and things looked good early. Rossie B and Dalts were in everything and we had plenty of the ball. Will Johnston, playing down back, got on the end of one to level the scores. We went in at quarter time only seven points down. The next twenty minutes summarised the second part of this year. On the way over to the huddle, Dave, the bloke who does the seconds goal umpiring each week, told me we have had sixty five players through our seconds. There are many blokes playing in our one’s and two’s who are playing above their level.
Anita Roper had a more incisive comment on our injury woes. “Phil, each week I worry about our tallest player as he gets injured most weeks”.
The second quarter started with their ruckman, who dominated the game, laying the ball down to their rover. The second quarter was a train wreck as we did not score a goal. In the first twenty minutes we rarely went forward of the centre, let alone go inside fifty. The third quarter was much better as we dominated play for much of the quarter but with so many players injured we battled to score.
We had a chance at the start of the last quarter. ‘One way Baker’ was driven into the ground, face first. A more ‘in the back’ I have not seen. Matty K swooped on a spillage and missed a goal that would have closed us to eleven points but this was our last yelp for the year.
Ross Borland played well. Jonny Anderson looked the part and, with a preseason, he will be a welcome addition to the team. Max Ellis, the Derrinalphil sponsored player, played very well later in the season. This was most pleasing, as a player who lifts when the team in ‘under the pump’, is a rare commodity. He will play one hundred games. Corbin Stevic looked dangerous all game and, when he is standing alongside Danny B and Pickers, he will kick plenty of goals.
I will see you all at the Best and Fairest. It is a lunch time do and I will leave you with a derrinalphil Law of Lunches. ‘Anything under four hours is not lunch. It is only the hasty taking of sustenance’.
Go the Roys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back