Preview Round 23: Sydney Swans V Richmond Tigers @ ANZ Stadium 30/08/2014 - 4:40 PM AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
this has been a great thread. positive and smart. i'd like to know thoughts on how we win. for me, 3 players are absolutely crucial in terms of winning their matchups: rance must show once more why he is the premier defender in the comp with his role on buddy, lids must continue his stellar run of form especially forward where I don't think Sydney have a matchup for him and ellis must work his tail off to be the link man between defence and attack

I think we will have a plan for 7-man backline. Might not go with it from the get go but I think it will be an option. I can see us getting either Batchelor or Grimes to constantly drop back and fill the hole. Just get Rance and Chaplin to play man on man against Tippett/Franklin. Instruct the guy dropping in the hole to play on immediately if he takes the mark and send the ball back over the heads of the Swans players running into their forward line.

Dropping a guy into the hole either leaves his direct opponent loose, or it makes for a 5 on 6 forward line. I don't like the idea of leaving a man unmarked in our backline so i'd prefer 5 on 6 and instruct our midfielders to take the shot themselves from 40 to 50 out unless Riewoldt is on the lead. Play Griffiths at CHF and even if he ends up 50-60m from goal tell him to take the shot. Since a lot of shots will be from distance we need a small in the square to grab the crumb. I'd go with Edwards but let's face it the way the game is played pretty much every onballer is going to rotate through there.

I'd also be prepared to play Cotchin and Martin at FF from time to time to drag their opponent from the midfield if necessary, and try to exploit lack of defensive nous or weakness overhead. Against any team you can't let them consistently win it out of the centre. They have very good midfielders so we can't afford to lose that matchup. I expect some of them to be rested though.

Playing with a loose man back will probably see us kick a lot of points. But we have pretty good goal kicking mids and with Griffiths we can still score from 60m out. I'm fairly confident that we can cut off a lot of the delivery to Franklin and Tippett if we use this option. That leaves their crumbers to kick their goals (and that is a weakness of ours), or else have their midfielders score the goals from ~40 out. If we can play to our strengths I think we can beat them.

Not much a mention of the importance Maric will play in this game... think he will be crucial. With the likeliness of repeat stoppages, Maric will be crucial to winning the battle...
Don't see a problem, he only has to tap it once then stand there while we kick a goal, should see out the game easy

Final Siren

Mr Squiggle
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm hopeful but it's a massive ask. The #1 team away interstate. And all these Round 14+ stats where we rank 1st or 2nd (behind Sydney): let's not forget they were from the softest part of our draw. Other teams were playing tougher opposition.

We can do it but it would be miraculous.

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm hopeful but it's a massive ask. The #1 team away interstate. And all these Round 14+ stats where we rank 1st or 2nd (behind Sydney): let's not forget they were from the softest part of our draw. Other teams were playing tougher opposition.

Agree it wiil be very tough, but for all Sydney's talk, would be irresponsible of them to go 110% for this match. We'll be at a 110%, they'll be at 90%, will that differential be enough?!

leekok

Cancelled
I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Dec 7, 2013
offline, online whilst posting
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hide the sausage
I cant shake the feeling I will have to front up for work Monday
morning and have to put up with all
the same crap of...
Your so lucky to win.....

.....again....:p
Its been that long since we've lost that I forget what it feels like. Can't be held responsible for what might happen if it does. May the lord protect the poor soul who is stupid enough to start the ninthmond crap.

Agree it wiil be very tough, but for all Sydney's talk, would be irresponsible of them to go 110% for this match. We'll be at a 110%, they'll be at 90%, will that differential be enough?!

Do your calculations include the extra 9.8% for Sydney or is that excluded? We might be in trouble if they are excluded.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

a_fighting_fury

Premiership Player
May 7, 2007
Yarra Park
AFL Club
Richmond

8 in a row was also miraculous.

#gotiges

Guys here's the reason why I am supremely confident of winning this one. We know that happens if a team doesn't "really" come to play and I've got 3 letters for you:

GWS

Understand what your saying but I'm not sure you can really compare the 2 teams....

Just thinking about the game and how we might be able to win and I reckon the inclusion of Vickery could hold the key. Now I know what everyone is thinking with bringing Vickery in and playing the 3 tall forward set up, but I'd actually go down a different path. I'd rotate Griffiths & Vickery as the loose man in defence. Griffiths takes a great contested grab and his ability to kick the ball 60m long and accurately would be a great way to get our counter attacking game moving quickly which would catch the Swans out as they are not an overly quick side. Vickery has shown that he can be effective when up in the play as well and given both Vickery and Griffiths can handle ruck work it would also Maric to be used more effectively as well.

With that in mind the changes I'd make heading into the game are:
In: Vickery Martin
Out: Lennon Conca

B: Morris Rance Grimes
HB: Houli Chaplin Batchelor
C: Ellis Cotchin Grigg
HF: Deledio Griffiths Martin
F: Gordon Riewoldt S.Edwards
R: Maric Foley Miles
INT: Newman Petterd Vickery
SUB: Vlastuin
EMG: Dea Lennon Conca