Moved Thread Ben Griffiths Contract Discussion - SIgned

How much would you offer Griffiths per year (assume 2yr contract)?

• Lower

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 7 4.5%

Votes: 22 14.3%

Votes: 67 43.5%

Votes: 42 27.3%

Votes: 6 3.9%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Higher

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Trade

Votes: 5 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ancient Tiger

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Sep 18, 2007
Richmond
AFL Club
Richmond
You cannot claim Vickery was 'gifted games' in comparison to Griffiths. Vickery did more to earn most of his early games than Griffiths did - let's not forget Griffiths was rushed into the side immediately in his first and second years without having any VFL form on the board first. The difference between the two is that Griffiths didn't do enough to stay in the team after that, whereas Vickery had become an important part of the team by then.
I can suggest this because this is exactly what Dimma has said he did!
Back in 2010, Hardwick said he wanted to get as many games into his young charges as he could. This included Vickery. You forget that Griffiths had two shoulder reconstructions in his first two years, one of which included bone grafting. Ben has only been free of pain for a couple of seasons. Vickery already had a season under his belt too in 2010.
Vickery has never starred in the VFL on any regular basis to demand selection. This is another clue showing he was gifted games. Even this year I watched him play VFL and although his write up was ok, I thought he was ordinary. At his senior level, one would have expected him to dominate, but he did not get remotely close to doing that.

partycorolla

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2009
Black Rock
AFL Club
Richmond
Griff is never going to get 20 possessions. What he will do though is take 5 contested marks every game, provide a get out option on the wing and relieve in the ruck. His skill set is the rarest thing you can find in the afl, its purely a demand and supply equation.

Lets hope we sign him up quickly because the longer he remains unsigned the more currency he will have, and the more likely he will be to be tempted by the huge offers that will come.

Richo averages an AFL high 2.77 contested marks a game..... so I'll give you a tip, 5 is being a little bit greedy and unrealistic

partycorolla

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2009
Black Rock
AFL Club
Richmond
Back in 2010, Hardwick said he wanted to get as many games into his young charges as he could. This included Vickery. You forget that Griffiths had two shoulder reconstructions in his first two years, one of which included bone grafting. Ben has only been free of pain for a couple of seasons. Vickery already had a season under his belt too in 2010.
Vickery has never starred in the VFL on any regular basis to demand selection. This is another clue showing he was gifted games. Even this year I watched him play VFL and although his write up was ok, I thought he was ordinary. At his senior level, one would have expected him to dominate, but he did not get remotely close to doing that.

This keeps going around in circles. Vickery played his early footy in a side that was deplorable as part of a shocking list. He wasn't gifted games, he was just the best option for us! He played 9 games in 2009 (in a side that was terrible and he played mainly in the ruck), 14 in 2010 (again largely in the ruck) and all 22 in 2011 (where he kicked 36 goals and was part of the best forward combination by goals in the comp).... So in 45 games he'd done a bit (in his first 3 seasons). Griff is now into his what 5th season. He will be 11 games behind (hopefully only 7 by years end) without the output of Vickery despite having at least 2 more pre-seasons to build his body and get it right....

He has potential but he hasn't delivered what Vickery had at the same stage games-wise and he is meant to be 2 seasons in front of him....

I hope we sign him but this white knight stuff is getting ridiculous....

Ancient Tiger

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Sep 18, 2007
Richmond
AFL Club
Richmond
This keeps going around in circles. Vickery played his early footy in a side that was deplorable as part of a shocking list. He wasn't gifted games, he was just the best option for us! He played 9 games in 2009 (in a side that was terrible and he played mainly in the ruck), 14 in 2010 (again largely in the ruck) and all 22 in 2011 (where he kicked 36 goals and was part of the best forward combination by goals in the comp).... So in 45 games he'd done a bit (in his first 3 seasons). Griff is now into his what 5th season. He will be 11 games behind (hopefully only 7 by years end) without the output of Vickery despite having at least 2 more pre-seasons to build his body and get it right....

He has potential but he hasn't delivered what Vickery had at the same stage games-wise and he is meant to be 2 seasons in front of him....

Comparing goal kicking now and then is also ridiculous. When Vickery was kicking goals we were not sharing the goal kicking around. The team made a concerted effort to spread the goal kicking because DESPITE THOSE WONDERFUL STATS WE WERE GETTING FLOGGED in 2011!!!! Look at the output of our best forward Riewoldt to prove the point. What has happened with his tallies since then? So the days of lots of goals by a KPP are dwindling. Also where did Griff play his games in 2012? A little hard to kick goals from there don't you think?

partycorolla

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2009
Black Rock
AFL Club
Richmond
Comparing goal kicking now and then is also ridiculous. When Vickery was kicking goals we were not sharing the goal kicking around. The team made a concerted effort to spread the goal kicking because DESPITE THOSE WONDERFUL STATS WE WERE GETTING FLOGGED in 2011!!!! Look at the output of our best forward Riewoldt to prove the point. What has happened with his tallies since then? So the days of lots of goals by a KPP are dwindling. Also where did Griff play his games in 2012? A little hard to kick goals from there don't you think?

Calm down oh angry and impassioned one! 2011 we were far better through the first half of the season than we were this year.... don't let a late run of wins fool you....

I mentioned goals but it by no means the only measurement of their output nor was I indicating that it was. You want to talk about positions in regards to Griff but fail to acknowledge that TV played most of his early games (2009-10) in the ruck, resting more on the bench than forward and given he was undersized/weight, was getting far more battered than Griff.... so that would equal out Griff's 2012 season (which is not something worth bringing up in terms of his worth to add weight to the argument he is worth more than TV).

Let's not fall into the trap of remembering only the last month.... Yes Griff has improved and yes I want us to sign him (as I have repeatedly said) but he has not delivered diddly squat before the last month and not compared to what TV has (who is 1 year his senior on the list). I hope Griff goes past him and he has some of the attributes to do so, he just needs some more self-belief (something TV could actually spare him, he has more than he needs) and time..... but the argument about the two of them is just silly.

The silliest thing about it is that they can so easily co-exist and play equally important (but different) roles in the team.... I want to see them play together (for 10 more years!!!) and see them help the RFC achieve the ultimate goal.

blaisee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
None
how hes rank for average goals a game? griff needs to hit the score board more plain and simple he does that he passes vickery.. hes improved yes, but still needs to kick it where it counts. through the middle sticks

better ruckman, better mark, better kick, more mobile, look everyone has an opinion but mine is very different to yours

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond

Exactly, Griffith's played a number of games in the backline. Who knows he might end up on Buddy this weekend!

TV was protected from the ruck as well because they were protecting his developing body which is fair enough to an extent. Recently they have been trying to make him out as an exclusive forward and some seem posters to think in their posts there was momentum to make TV more a forward than ruck participant.

So to compare TV's goal output with Griffith's is utterly ridiculous and naturally it appears Griffith's is attracting other potential suitors given some shambolic people management!

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
I believe the most important thing in this entire argument/topic is the most obvious

Is the Richmond football club a better team with

a/ Riewoldt,Vickery,Maric,Hampson

b/ Riewoldt,Vickery,Maric,Griffiths

If The Answer is B then its abvious that we need to hold onto him and get rid of the other spud

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
how hes rank for average goals a game? griff needs to hit the score board more plain and simple he does that he passes vickery.. hes improved yes, but still needs to kick it where it counts. through the middle sticks
Disagree that he needs to kick more goals. I like both players so don't get me wrong, but they have two completely different roles when playing fwd
Griff works and runs harder and plays further away from the goals whereas as TV plays closer to goal and more of a pack marker or a one on one contest.So on this alone I wouldn't be surprised Tv kicks more goals and would be disappointed if he didn't. TV does not work anywhere near as hard as Griffo as his role is different
If you heard DH recently he has been highly praising Griffo bc of his work rate and attack on the ball. If it was all about kicking goals then Rance Morris and Newman and may others wouldn't get a gig. Griffo is a supplier to goal assists whereas Tv is a goal finisher when up fwd
They're both important roles for our team

TigerTime3

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Massive fan of Griffiths but seeing Jack kick 50+ goals a year for the last 5 years makes me realise how poor it is for a forward to kick so few goals.

5 goals in 4 games.

Ty is definitely the better player right now, but i'll be doing what we can to keep both... Even if Griff played up the ground.

If we lose him then no problems - McBean is in next year.

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
TV was hardly sighted at Coburg and me and at least twenty others couldn't believe how TV was gifted so many senior games without doing anything spectacular. A Daddy thing was the common conclusion
Whereas Griffo was always in and out of the team bc of a poor run of injury , but when he did play he always showed class and composure whether back or fwd
His athleticism was what always amazed me and now that he's bulking up he's looking menacing and as isaid weeks ago clubs will be swooping for him. As for Tv boxing clubs maybe his only admirers as there are so many of his types floating around in the football world
X factor is what wins you games and we haven't had a player for years with it

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
He has signed. There I posted it.
2889m3t.jpg

theflea

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 16, 2010
victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I believe the most important thing in this entire argument/topic is the most obvious

Is the Richmond football club a better team with

a/ Riewoldt,Vickery,Maric,Hampson

b/ Riewoldt,Vickery,Maric,Griffiths

If The Answer is B then its abvious that we need to hold onto him and get rid of the other spud
I don't think there is any doubt about this, its just about how much it will cost.

Back