No Oppo Supporters CAS hands down guilty verdict - Players appealing - Dank shot - no opposition - (cont in pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
#sittightbeconfident

Sharks players shown 30 pages of ASADA documents before taking deal
Date
August 27, 2014 - 10:00PM

Roy Masters
Rugby League Columnist
View more articles from Roy Masters

1409131088652.jpg-620x349.jpg

'Legal sources insist the players would have ultimately won the case.'

A compelling 30-page document, including an appendix of exhibits, was presented to past and present Cronulla players before their final admissions of the use of banned supplements.

The material, shown players by Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority lawyers, undermines the view that the evidence against NRL players was very weak and they were stampeded into accepting guilt.

Cronulla chief executive Steve Noyce confirmed this, telling the Herald that the players, who had never genuinely believed they took prohibited substances, only did so when presented with evidence last Wednesday.

The NRL believes ASADA learnt from its experience with the AFL in June when 34 Essendon players were presented with show-cause notices that did not have the depth of detail that accompanied those handed the 12 Cronulla players with the club in 2011.

Advertisement
Representatives of Essendon players, whom Fairfax Media exclusively reported on Friday were offered six-month suspensions by ASADA, subsequently rejected the proposed ban, partly because the anti-doping body refused to show evidence.

The possibility of a six-month sanction could not be kept on the table because a deadline passed, shortly after the issue of show-cause notices, with Essendon initiating Federal Court action against ASADA and the AFL. To keep the offer "live" would be contemptuous of the legal process.

ASADA was extremely patient with the NRL players, confronting them with the evidence and then suggesting they consult with their legal representatives, rather than issue a show-cause notice which, at first glance, could have had all the seriousness of a parking ticket.

Part of the problem in this whole wrenching drama that has linked Australia's two most popular football codes for 18 months is that ASADA's show-cause notices are merely an allegation – that is, the anti-doping body is only required to state it believes a doping violation took place.

ASADA, which gathered all the evidence independent of the NRL and mindful of the AFL experience, resolved to present show-cause notices to NRL players with documentation.

Nevertheless, legal sources insist the players would have ultimately won the case, although it would have taken another two years.
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...aking-deal-20140827-1091y4.html#ixzz3Bb22VFXw

Bahaha, just ventured to the HTB for some light reading. The dead-set dedication some of those peeps have to our 'issue' is astounding. And disturbing.

Yeh that Jon Ralph article was very supportive of the club and players I thought. Goes to show ASADA are a joke when a campaigner like Ralph can change his tune

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To extend on my previous post, I don't really see the media turning the tide, more or less they're just going with it. The football media want to be on the "winning" side when it comes to controversial issues. The cynical person would give some credit for the change for when Vlad "retired" from his position and one of the main papers seemed to lose some information and support.

Honestly, most of the time we heard phrases like "my thources" or "I'm lead to believe" many, many times. When was the last time that we heard that? Also, this case finally goes to a court of law and now we begin to hear about deals being offered and ASADA pushing a timeline.

Like many things in life, we are probably not going to find out the truth about the whole thing, which is all that we wanted to know in the beginning. The truth hurts at times, but corruption drains you. I'd rather be hurt (or enlightened) by the truth over being drained and confused just to have a short term end to this.

ASADA case against Essendon Bombers at risk of collapse

Carlisle confident he will be fit for finals
external

THE Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority’s case against Essendon footballers appears certain to collapse if its investigators cannot use transcripts from player interviews conducted last year.

The Australian has confirmed there are two key pieces of evidence common to every current and former Essendon player accused of taking a banned peptide during the 2012 season: all 34 signed consent forms to be administered with a Thymosin peptide and all told ASADA in their interviews they received injections as part of the supplement regime.

A further six players who took part in the program designed and administered by sports scientist Stephen Dank have not been issued show-cause notices by ASADA. Of these, two signed consent forms but denied receiving injections, two didn’t sign the consent forms and denied receiving injections and two signed the consent forms but were not interviewed for personal reasons.

ASADA sought earlier this year to interview the two players it had not yet questioned, but both players declined on legal advice. ASADA has not used its coercive powers to require them to attend an interview.

The status of the interview transcripts will be decided by Federal Court judge John Middleton when he rules on the legality of ASADA and the AFL’s joint investigation into the Essendon supplements regime.
www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/afl/asada-case-against-essendon-bombers-at-risk-of-collapse/story-fnca0u4y-1227039302451?nk=6e3637b54e6d6605282bb6157a591594

Delusional., ASADA obviously have evidence of more deliveries, they just haven't told anyone.

It's not the only thing he's been wrong on. He's also written from a RL slant all along, which is not surprising given his background, but is nonetheless poor form for a supposed journalist.

I give credit where credit is due

Masters broke the following

- The AFL/ASADA deal to spare suspensions to Essenddon players
- the involvement of John Wylie in discussions between Essendon and the AFL
- The latest behind the scene deal offered by the AFL.

I rest my case.

It was a joint investigation though and one arm (AFL) has exaggerated/fabricated evidence. This is is extremely relevant.

I doubt that ASADA would use AFL's evidence - Surely they are not that incompetent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back