Mega Thread Delist/Trade/Draft Supermegaultrathread - It's Never Too Soon edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because he's not a ruckmans arsehole. He's a fair player, playing as a KPF. But as a ruckman he isn't all that flash hot at all, and undersized.

Compared to say Lycett who is an actual ruckman, and a very good one.

We could get away with Sinclair playing 2nd fiddle and pinch hitting in the ruck behind Nicnat if Lycett went down, but you wouldn't want that to be your only option.
Completely disagree. Either you haven't been watching him in the WAFL or were talking about different players.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 8
Plenty of big men who have done really well at WAFL level only to be complete crabs in the afl.

Lycett has far more upside, which is why we have been playing him over Sinclair. He's a tall lean forward, who is competitive in the ruck at WAFL level but not powerful enough to ruck full time imo.

He's a poorish man's Westhoff

To expand on an earlier point, if the Eagles and Dockers had an academy system similar to the Swans and got the best youngster drafted out of their previous father-son selection zones*:

2013: Jack Martin (West Coast), Patrick Cripps (Freo)
2012: Jackson Ramsey (WC), Jeager O'Meare(F)
2011: Stephen Coniglio (WC), Josh Bootsma (F)
2010: Jack Darling (WC), David Swallow (F)
2009: Lewis Jetta (WC), Anthony Morabito (F)
2008: Nic Naitanui (WC), Hayden Ballantyne(F)
2007: Cale Morton (WC), Chris Masten (F)
2006: Matt Leunberger (WC), Scott Gumbleton(F)

Shows how different both WA's list make up could have been if we were granted a similar academy system

*This also assumes the highest picked player from both zones would have been selected by West Coast and Freo and not on list needs. Also assumes the mini draft never took place.

To expand on an earlier point, if the Eagles and Dockers had an academy system similar to the Swans and got the best youngster drafted out of their previous father-son selection zones*:

2013: Jack Martin (West Coast), Patrick Cripps (Freo)
2012: Jackson Ramsey (WC), Jeager O'Meare(F)
2011: Stephen Coniglio (WC), Josh Bootsma (F)
2010: Jack Darling (WC), David Swallow (F)
2009: Lewis Jetta (WC), Anthony Morabito (F)
2008: Nic Naitanui (WC), Hayden Ballantyne(F)
2007: Cale Morton (WC), Chris Masten (F)
2006: Matt Leunberger (WC), Scott Gumbleton(F)

Shows how different both WA's list make up could have been if we were granted a similar academy system

*This also assumes the highest picked player from both zones would have been selected by West Coast and Freo and not on list needs. Also assumes the mini draft never took place.
We can certainly dream...
I always wondered why teams didn't get priority selection of local talent. Would it hurt the vid teams too much or...? I mean what's the rationale behind not doing it?

We can certainly dream...
I always wondered why teams didn't get priority selection of local talent. Would it hurt the vid teams too much or...? I mean what's the rationale behind not doing it?
the rationale is, the AFL needs the NSW teams to be highly successful because its a rugby state, so the AFL spoon feeds them to guarantee them success which therefore generates interest and most of all revenue.

To me, drafting another ruck would be like drafting another halfback...

It's not like 'mids' are all just one type or one dimensional players either of course. A few players in this draft can play mid/forward and that versatility is obviously valuable. rucks on the other hand are rather limited in where you play them, I think the view at west coast gets distorted abit because we've had players like cox and Naitanui can play so well in the forward line. I'd argue that that isn't very normal so the one dimensional nature and long development time of rucks is a little worrying to me. Having said that Lycett and Sinclair are two players who have come on in a relatively short time and can actually play forward.

Now that you mention it I think we could refresh our half back stocks aswell but that's a separate discussion.

The bottom line for me is that we need a list balance. We need a fourth ruck to cover for potential injuries, especially given NN's injury history. 4 is pretty standard.

Re: mids I think we need to have a quality vs quantity approach. In other words use our first rounder on the best available midfielder in addition to Waterman and then use our other picks to pad out certain weaknesses in our list.

For what it's worth I like Jack Cripps deep in the draft. 198cm forward that rucks. If he could be taken in the 60's, as I've said, I think there is more relative value in that then taking another project small of which we have accumulated a few now.

What are the chances of us drafting the following boys:
Alec Waterman 3rd round
Jarrod Garlett 2nd round
Jarrod Pickett 1st round

Is this a possible or a little bit optimistic. Been watching some of the highlight reels of Pickett and Garlett and I believe that some genuine pace and explosiveness around the contest and up forward would completely change the team for the better.
Would love this to happen.

Yeah. Would we be using an early pick for one of those talls though?
I was under the impression we had plenty off tall stocks but were lacking in pace around the contest.
I woudn't be surprised if we go tall with one of our first 2 picks, just think given the type of draft their could be a highly rated tall slide to one of our picks where they present value. We also haven't gone tall in a while and would be looking to balance up the younger part of our list for management purposes. Just a feel though. Im sure we will go for more mids in this draft than talls though no doubt.

How is Sinkers an ordinary ruck? The guy can play and then some. I was actually surprised Lycett was getting a game ahead of him during the middle of the season considering their WAFL form.

Lycett has Sinclairs measure across multiple facets of the game.

Burst speed, contested marking, vertical leap, size and lateral strength, agility and clean hands off the deck. As well as superior disposal by hand and foot, and he's younger. Sinclair gets a little bit more of the ball around the ground as a better running player, but Lycett gets it more dangerous spots and does more with ball in hand.

Was really a no brainier and the proof has been in the pudding.

Completely disagree. Either you haven't been watching him in the WAFL or were talking about different players.

Siclairs lack of strength, particularly in stoppage throw ups around the ground is his weakest point as a ruckmen. Doesn't translate through to AFL against 100+ and 200+cm ruckmen. Has similar problems against key defenders where his body is moved of the line of the ball in the marking contest enough that he struggles to take pack marks, and he doesn't have Lycett's speed on the pure lead or running back to goals.

Now that you mention it I think we could refresh our half back stocks aswell but that's a separate discussion.

The bottom line for me is that we need a list balance. We need a fourth ruck to cover for potential injuries, especially given NN's injury history. 4 is pretty standard.

Re: mids I think we need to have a quality vs quantity approach. In other words use our first rounder on the best available midfielder in addition to Waterman and then use our other picks to pad out certain weaknesses in our list.

For what it's worth I like Jack Cripps deep in the draft. 198cm forward that rucks. If he could be taken in the 60's, as I've said, I think there is more relative value in that then taking another project small of which we have accumulated a few now.

Half back flank is actually an area where we need to find more genuine talent. If you take out Brennan, Smith, Wilson (Carter?) the depth looks a little weaker and that's with Waters returning tentatively next year. So picking up a medium defender with a strong body that they know how to use in a contest, good disposal and straight line speed is always an area that needs addressing.

I'm a big fan of Cripps. Won't ever be a genuine ruckmen, but as a running tall who is marking threat he's got AFL application and he's got physical upside.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mitch Clark rumoured to want to play again but in WA. Freo you'd think would have more interest then us, doesn't really fill a need for us unless he can pinch hit in the ruck.

Wouldn't offer anything more than a fourth rounder.

Mitch Clark rumoured to want to play again but in WA. Freo you'd think would have more interest then us, doesn't really fill a need for us unless he can pinch hit in the ruck.

What a jerk. Should have just come to Freo in the first place instead of screwing Melb around

What a jerk. Should have just come to Freo in the first place instead of screwing Melb around

Well I'm not sure he planned to have crippling depression but if he did then damn him.

Well I'm not sure he planned to have crippling depression but if he did then damn him.
I'm sure he didn't, but stay at Melbourne if you're recovered enough to play footy again. But presumably he was homesick the whole time and so maybe should have just gone to Freo in the first place.

Only half serious, can't blame him for what's happened. I just feel a bit sorry for Melbourne.

I'm sure he didn't, but stay at Melbourne if you're recovered enough to play footy again. But presumably he was homesick the whole time and so maybe should have just gone to Freo in the first place.

Only half serious, can't blame him for what's happened. I just feel a bit sorry for Melbourne.

He was all set to go to Freo but Melbourne came in with a massive offer which was too good to refuse. I wouldn't feel that bad about it.

That decision will largely be dependent on where/if we get Waterman - if we rate him.

If, for example, Waterman comes to us as a fourth rounder we may roll the dice on an early tall and back ourselves into to get a mid with the two picks remaining before Waterman. If, on the other hand, Waterman has to be taken early the decision may be to secure a good mid and roll the dice on the later picks, albeit they will be in 3rd and 4th round.

IMO where/if Waterman falls to us will be a key component in our drafting/trading strategy.

I don't think Freo would be interested at all - even if they need a player of his ilk, he burnt them once, I doubt they'd take a second look.

I don't think Freo would be interested at all - even if they need a player of his ilk, he burnt them once, I doubt they'd take a second look.

Pav almost at the end with only unproven youngsters as the next generation? Freo will be all over him, could be their last piece of the premiership window for them

Pav almost at the end with only unproven youngsters as the next generation? Freo will be all over him, could be their last piece of the premiership window for them
He didnt burn Freo, Melbourne offered him a pay packet that was in the top 5% in the AFL. Any man takes that
Yes, so he's a proven mercenary. He made it sound like the only thing he wanted was to be back at home in WA. Freo had a deal with Brisbane and then Melbourne swanned in and all of a sudden he wasn't so homesick. That's what happened; I call it burning Freo, maybe you don't. Happy to disagree there.

I was saying that he probably got their noses out of joint the first time; since then they've seen that picking him up comes with a lot of baggage that I doubt they'd want.

If he got another chance with them, it's probably fair to say he would be closer to the bottom 5% of salaries in the AFL this time around. Where they are at now they aren't going to risk a large portion of their salary cap for somebody who has form being very unreliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back