(4) Scott Lucas every time he played WCE
(5) Cyril Rioli

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ablett snr
Ablett jnr
Carey
Matthews
Lockett

Ablett snr's highlight package is longer than the most players careers. We all forget just how brilliant and how often he was.

Haydyn Bunton
Dick Reynolds
Ian Stewart
Garry Ablett Jnr
Leigh Matthews

Haydyn Bunton
Dick Reynolds
Ian Stewart
Garry Ablett Jnr
Leigh Matthews

Not having a go at you but did you get to see all of those guys play or just assessing by what you have read, their awards and highlights?

Not having a go at you but did you get to see all of those guys play or just assessing by what you have read, their awards and highlights?

Sadly not the first two. But based on their record and also what contemporaries had to say about them. Although we must remember that Dick Reynolds said Bill Hutchinson was the best player he ever played with. Lists like this are so subjective. We all have different opinions. I'm sure if I researched more I'd probably change my mind on a few of the names on my list.

Sadly not the first two. But based on their record and also what contemporaries had to say about them. Although we must remember that Dick Reynolds said Bill Hutchinson was the best player he ever played with. Lists like this are so subjective. We all have different opinions. I'm sure if I researched more I'd probably change my mind on a few of the names on my list.

I was just curious on the basis

I wish I had the opportunity to see guys like polly farmer apply their trade. barrie robran would be another and I never got to see

plus there is a whole pile of vic greats like matthews and cable that I got to see on tv but never live

1. Lockett - Most goals of all-time
2. Harvey - Most disposals/Brownlow votes
3. Riewoldt - Most marks of all-time
4. Hayes - Most career tackles & Norm Smith medalist
5. Milne - Best small forward of all-time

Anyone listing Dunstall, Hird, Buckley, Voss, Goodes or Judd over these guys obviously haven't seen them play. Dunstall did nothing but mark and goal compared to Plugger, Hird isn't even coaching this year, Buckley never won a premiership, and Goodes was lucky to win two brownlows, and is elevated due to his racial vilification. Not even in the top 3 Swans forwards), Voss couldn't coach and was in a good team for his premierships, and Judd has done nothing since his WC days. Not saying they're not all decent players, just not top 5 material.

Never saw Leigh Matthews play, but can't imagine he would have been all that good. Definitely not top 5 material anyway. Shoulda named the AFL MVP over someone like Lockett, who has way more goals than Matthews.

Carey and the Abletts I can understand. Daryl Baldock, Ted Whitten, Ian Stewart, Kevin Sheedy, Trevor Barker, Billy Brownless, Stewie Loewe (2nd most marks of all-time), Nicky Winmar (Michael Tuck medalist), Nathan Burke (best Saints captain of all-time), John Longmire, Crawf, Lloydy, Scott West, Nigel Lappin, Richo, G-Train (100 goals in a season), Brendan Goddard (best player of past 2 years), Nick Dal Santo, Leigh Montana and Buddy are close, and all top 20 for mine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back