Universal Love I miss Bernie..

Sep 16, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GO YOU CROW BOYS
Ouch, I forgot he was eligible for F/A. Definitely keep him then! :p

As for Reilly's disposal, it's always been excellent. The problem with Reilly is that he struggles to make good decisions. When he does make good decisions he executes the kick well almost every time (everyone's entitled to a shank here and there).

That's why he is so suited to his current role. He's so rarely in a position where he needs to make a split-second decision so he doesn't get exposed on that front so often.
Disposal with time and space good.. not sure execution , in addition to decision making, is up to snuff when under pressure. Compare Laird vs Reilly in that regard. Not sure its entirely about decision making.

james crow

Debutant
Sep 2, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
And i know Bernie misses us. Did you see on footy classified where he was on the lie detector and he was asked "do you like your new Melbourne team mates as much as your old Adelaide ones?" Bernie answered "yes". Lie detector dude said "thats a lie" and Bernie started laughing and said "yeah that was a lie".

I hate Triggy for making us loose Bernie, well for that and other stuff.
I will always remember him and tex in happy times. The odd couple.
Hope he gets 40 possesions, 4 goals and we win by 100.
Sando's decision... not Trigg. Nothing to do with the CEO this time. List Management decision

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Sando's decision... not Trigg. Nothing to do with the CEO this time. List Management decision
The implication is that the need to trade Bernie came about as a direct result of the Tiprat penalties, for which Trigg is blamed. Hence, Trigg is to blame for losing Bernie.

Not sure that I agree with that. I think they may well have decided to trade him anyway, but there's no doubt that the decision was influenced by our lack of draft picks resulting from the Tiprat penalties.

james crow

Debutant
Sep 2, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Mackay is eligible for Free Agency this year. If he goes, you would expect that it would be under this mechanism rather than being traded. Vince was traded because he was still under contract (and hence not eligible for FA). Mackay is younger than Vince was when he was traded, because Vince wasn't drafted as an U18 player, so he'd definitely have currency.

Mackay is also very keen on staying in Adelaide, at least he was last year when his name was being tossed around during trade week. I doubt that's changed. Do not forget that the player still has to sign off on any trade - and it's hard to see him not being offered a new contract by the AFC if he does refuse to be traded.

Last year Mackay (allegedly) took a call from the Birdman after Adelaide tried shipping him to Brisbane for Polec. Burton acting on behalf of the Lions invited him up for a look around.

Pity no - one at the Club told Mackay... So, come the end of the year I'd guess he would be on the first plane out and who could blame him. disgraceful way for a player thats not caused an issue for the Club and always does the right thing.

Campbell's Chunky

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Central Districts
Also you don't think Port Adelaide's has the edge? Couple of guys a little over the 25 mark but still - Boak, Wines, Hartlett, Wingard, Ebert, Polec, Broadbent, and then Gray at 26? Compared with...Dangerfield, Sloane, Smith, B. Crouch, M. Crouch, Grigg, and Douglas at 27.

Theirs looks stronger imo.
Yeh, you're probably right. Our inside mids are better but they crap on us with the outside mids (Polec, Wingard and Gray if you are including him).

james crow

Debutant
Sep 2, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
The implication is that the need to trade Bernie came about as a direct result of the Tiprat penalties, for which Trigg is blamed. Hence, Trigg is to blame for losing Bernie.

Not sure that I agree with that. I think they may well have decided to trade him anyway, but there's no doubt that the decision was influenced by our lack of draft picks resulting from the Tiprat penalties.

I understand that thinking... but we still had to trade to get a team together that looks like it will go top.
Vince was gone whether Tippett was here or not. Went from being a drinking buddy of the coach to the Coach not taking his calls.

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets, Chelsea, Striker
I understand that thinking... but we still had to trade to get a team together that looks like it will go top.
Vince was gone whether Tippett was here or not. Went from being a drinking buddy of the coach to the Coach not taking his calls.

So he drank with Neil Craig, and Sando wouldnt take his calls?

This sounds like rubbish, but please enlighten me as to your source.

james crow

Debutant
Sep 2, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
So he drank with Neil Craig, and Sando wouldnt take his calls?

This sounds like rubbish, but please enlighten me as to your source.

Sando year one... boys go for dinner and beer was ok on a wednesday night - even took them to the Broady hotel one night
Sando year two ... lose a few games and not coping with the pressure... no more parties with the coach
By fade time Sando wouldn't take Bernie's calls

james crow

Debutant
Sep 2, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Sando year one... boys go for dinner and beer was ok on a wednesday night - even took them to the Broady hotel one night
Sando year two ... lose a few games and not coping with the pressure... no more parties with the coach

sorry - by trade time

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets, Chelsea, Striker

I think theres got to be more to it than that...

skoobydoo

Premiership Player
Apr 3, 2012
Under the Southern Cross
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Bite Basebal Crystal Brook Roosters
I honestly think it has a lot to do with Reillys kicking style.
Doesnt seem to be a technique that would hold up under pressure or any slight bump/movement.

Have a look next time he kicks it, he hits its really nice if he has time and space.

Slow from hand to foot.

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
Just saw on Fox Footy, Bernie Vince doing a "driving in the car" interview with someone.

Apparently, he told the story of the time he was very, very late to his first match at Etihad playing for Melbourne. Chris Dawes was supposed to drive him there but something went wrong and they were stuck in traffic on the way to the stadium. he ended up jumping out of the car and catching a tram - he confessed to not know how to buy a ticket even - in his full kit, trying to keep a low profile among a tram full of people going to the football. he asked a little old lady where to get off for Etihad and she told him how. he missed the team meeting and asked Roos what was up; Roos said, ah nothing you wouldn't of heard before, just go out and play. Chris Dawes got to the stadium at half-time.

Just checking, Bernie got 20 kicks, 8 handballs, 6 marks, 4 tackles, 7 i50s, and 1.4

Ah, i miss that guy.

The Sloane Ranger

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Dec 22, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Just saw on Fox Footy, Bernie Vince doing a "driving in the car" interview with someone.

Apparently, he told the story of the time he was very, very late to his first match at Etihad playing for Melbourne. Chris Dawes was supposed to drive him there but something went wrong and they were stuck in traffic on the way to the stadium. he ended up jumping out of the car and catching a tram - he confessed to not know how to buy a ticket even - in his full kit, trying to keep a low profile among a tram full of people going to the football. he asked a little old lady where to get off for Etihad and she told him how. he missed the team meeting and asked Roos what was up; Roos said, ah nothing you wouldn't of heard before, just go out and play. Chris Dawes got to the stadium at half-time.

Just checking, Bernie got 20 kicks, 8 handballs, 6 marks, 4 tackles, 7 i50s, and 1.4

Ah, i miss that guy.

He actually thought I heard a version where he also had to run the last 1.5km to the ground?

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona

Ah, i miss that guy.
We would have suspended him

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC

Ah, i miss that guy.

Well it's actually impossible for him to buy a ticket on the tram because they are bastards and no doubt hope situations like this pop up so they can fine people..

But that story is great

Back