Preview Changes and discussion vs GWS. Round 23, 2014.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

#BooMoneyBags

Throughout this season I have been disgusted with how many of us are not going to games. Clearly there are quite a few on this board who haven't gone often enough. You may be able to drum up an excuse or two for a couple of games, but really, everyone should make every effort to go to 10+ games a year. I was sick for 6 weeks with a lung infection but still managed to rug up and drag myself to 2 games in that time. It's so depressing to turn up each week with the regulars and see us 5k short again and again. It was a sea of red at the swans game and the crowd was 22k.

I'll be going down to WO to cheer on Footscray in the VFL, and then getting on the train to Etihad to(hopefully) see us send Gia off the way he deserves.

Like you I am often very disappointed in our supporters' turn out at home games and it is frustrating to see us outnumbered. However, you have probably misdirected your anger when you make such comments on this board because we are obviously all fanatical supporters who spread our involvement across a range of activities depending on personal circumstances.
The one proviso I would offer is that if some of the reasons offered for non attendance, such as scheduling and cost are addressed by the AFL, then we should expect better turn outs next year.

Will be risky putting Gia on the field for the whole game as we know the old boy runs out of juice and does struggle to play out games now. Considering the circumstances it is understandable but as long as it doesnt put the game at risk.

Anyway, I wonder if we'll see Minson back in for this game after being dropped last week, also if we see Redpath or Jones make an appearance.

Will be risky putting Gia on the field for the whole game as we know the old boy runs out of juice and does struggle to play out games now. Considering the circumstances it is understandable but as long as it doesnt put the game at risk.

Anyway, I wonder if we'll see Minson back in for this game after being dropped last week, also if we see Redpath or Jones make an appearance.
I have a hunch we'll see Minson back in (even though I'd love to get a look at Campbell/Cordy as we tried to do last week) - he's not eligible for VFL finals so it would leave Darcy Fort as our sole ruckman in a final. I don't think we'd do that.

I don't mind it (given our position). Reckon there is/should still be room for some sentimental send offs in footy.

I'd like to see Cordy and Campbell have a crack again too. Will be interesting which way they go - club has said all year the VFL team is for development first, results second, but now we look a good chance to win that might be tempered.

I have a hunch we'll see Minson back in (even though I'd love to get a look at Campbell/Cordy as we tried to do last week) - he's not eligible for VFL finals so it would leave Darcy Fort as our sole ruckman in a final. I don't think we'd do that.
I think he can play until the AFL team have finished playing, so just this week.

I think he can play until the AFL team have finished playing, so just this week.
My bad, didn't know that - thought it was just a blanket rule over all the finals. If he is able to play I'd love to see Campbell and Cordy given another chance. I thought Campbell was unbelievable early with his follow-up efforts brilliant, and Cordy was presenting well and bringing the ball to ground.

My bad, didn't know that - thought it was just a blanket rule over all the finals. If he is able to play I'd love to see Campbell and Cordy given another chance. I thought Campbell was unbelievable early with his follow-up efforts brilliant, and Cordy was presenting well and bringing the ball to ground.
Not 100% sure as it's a bit confusing and there's like a fair few rules all saying different things but I'm pretty confident it's after the AFL team stops playing.

Yeah would love to see Campbell/Cordy get another crack, agree Campbell was going really well and even Cordy put in a pretty good effort, although I was more keen on how well Cordy played forward but obviously we didn't really get to see that.

I'm really torn with some selections. While I want Campbell/Cordy to go back to the VFL to play in the final, there's no reason to bring Minson back in. So I have a suspicion we might see some strange omissions to get a stronger VFL side out there.

I'm really torn with some selections. While I want Campbell/Cordy to go back to the VFL to play in the final, there's no reason to bring Minson back in. So I have a suspicion we might see some strange omissions to get a stronger VFL side out there.
If we do that they will need to change the rule next year.
The current rule seems to be based on the assumption that every AFL club will always pick its best available 22 and the rest can play VFL. If we employ a bit of shady practice by stacking the VFL side with seniors there will rightly be a stink about it. Even if it is within the letter of the law. It's just not good sportsmanship ... although good sportsmanship has rarely been sighted in the AFL in the last decade or two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we do that they will need to change the rule next year.
The current rule seems to be based on the assumption that every AFL club will always pick its best available 22 and the rest can play VFL. If we employ a bit of shady practice by stacking the VFL side with seniors there will rightly be a stink about it. Even if it is within the letter of the law. It's just not good sportsmanship ... although good sportsmanship has rarely been sighted in the AFL in the last decade or two.
Not to the point of dropping Libba or Bontempelli. But Cordy might get dropped, we might drop JJ back down etc. We won't go all Freo round 23 with it, but there could be a couple of sneaky outs.

Not to the point of dropping Libba or Bontempelli. But Cordy might get dropped, we might drop JJ back down etc. We won't go all Freo round 23 with it, but there could be a couple of sneaky outs.
Yeah, we might get away with say JJ although an eyebrow or two might be raised given that he was among our better players last week. However any more than that and we are at risk of deserting the ethical high ground, which is one of the few solid bragging rights we have when we have a tit-for-tat argument with supporters of Carlton, Collingwood, Melbourne or Essendon (among others).

Yeah, we might get away with say JJ although an eyebrow or two might be raised given that he was among our better players last week. However any more than that and we are at risk of deserting the ethical high ground, which is one of the few solid bragging rights we have when we have a tit-for-tat argument with supporters of Carlton, Collingwood, Melbourne or Essendon (among others).
Eyebrows won't be raised. 99% of the media wouldn't have heard of Jason Johannisen, and if they have it would only be because there were rumours he might be going to Essendon last year. Apart from that they wouldn't even recognise the name. Unfortunately a lot of our players still aren't recognised by the public.

Throughout this season I have been disgusted with how many of us are not going to games. Clearly there are quite a few on this board who haven't gone often enough. You may be able to drum up an excuse or two for a couple of games, but really, everyone should make every effort to go to 10+ games a year. I was sick for 6 weeks with a lung infection but still managed to rug up and drag myself to 2 games in that time. It's so depressing to turn up each week with the regulars and see us 5k short again and again. It was a sea of red at the swans game and the crowd was 22k.

I'll be going down to WO to cheer on Footscray in the VFL, and then getting on the train to Etihad to(hopefully) see us send Gia off the way he deserves.

to all that responded to this you pretty much raised the same objection. wrote this in anger over some comments in a few of our GDTs throughout the year about watching on TV and complaining about how we are playing and about macca or whatever; and sunday just did it for me. To those outside vic, obv I'm not talking to you. and to those who have other reasons, I guess I didn't really understand since I pretty much base my life around the fixture. To those who I offended, I'm sorry, I was just angry

as for the topic: austin out will make me very happy. bring in whoever, idc

to all that responded to this you pretty much raised the same objection. wrote this in anger over some comments in a few of our GDTs throughout the year about watching on TV and complaining about how we are playing and about macca or whatever; and sunday just did it for me. To those outside vic, obv I'm not talking to you. and to those who have other reasons, I guess I didn't really understand since I pretty much base my life around the fixture. To those who I offended, I'm sorry, I was just angry

as for the topic: austin out will make me very happy. bring in whoever, idc

And that is why you have the Emperor's blessings and +9.8% benefit of the doubt when you post. :thumbsu:

:footy: for you

There is no way that the selection of the Western Bulldogs will be compromised in order to boost Footscary's chances. Anyway wouldn't necessarily work as the guys who have played most of the year have done the job and built the chemistry. Moot anyway, they just wouldn't do it.

We will pick our best possible team to beat GWS. I hope we stay with Cordy and Campbell. I'd like to Jong stay in and play a less defensive role. He's not yet able to do a lock down role because he can't do that and add any offense to his game. He can't find the balance just yet. Love him when he just goes at the ball.

Other than that I would bring in Roberts for Austin......surely this week!

There is no way that the selection of the Western Bulldogs will be compromised in order to boost Footscary's chances. Anyway wouldn't necessarily work as the guys who have played most of the year have done the job and built the chemistry. Moot anyway, they just wouldn't do it.

We will pick our best possible team to beat GWS. I hope we stay with Cordy and Campbell. I'd like to Jong stay in and play a less defensive role. He's not yet able to do a lock down role because he can't do that and add any offense to his game. He can't find the balance just yet. Love him when he just goes at the ball.

Other than that I would bring in Roberts for Austin......surely this week!
Roberts in for Austin? Good luck with that......sigh

It's fascinating to see guys like Minson and Higgins dropped on poor form, and yet Austin and Roberts/Talia don't seem to be attached to the same form considerations.

Yes....it points to the argument that Macca wants them to find their feet at the lower level.....it's the only logical argument. I wish a commentator would ask the question, love to hear Macca's response.

Roberts won't be bought into the Senior side and won't last the VFL Finals... Stay tuned

Roberts won't be bought into the Senior side and won't last the VFL Finals... Stay tuned

Ah that sucks, I think he is playing this week but then in for surgery correct? If that's the case at least Austin will be able to go back to Footscray and be a solid replacement... No sarcasm there either, definitely a solid player at VFL level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back