Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are the Cows are always trying to get someone from Port? Seems strange when they are supposed to be the better run and resourced club .....
I think there is some logic to weighting your staff choices to someone already living locally. Obviously it's not the main criteria but it's still worth considering.

Exactly, one Showdown a year and (obviously) alternate hosting.
And if the Crows want a second game against us, they can lift their game and try and make the finals........

I have decided to buy tickets to Sydney on Saturday if we win and swans beat Richmond. Considering the swans will finish top will the game be on Friday night at ANZ?

Team Age Games Games/(Age^2)
Hawks 27 131.8 0.180796
Cats 26 121.9 0.180325
Saints 25.9 113 0.168453
Sydney 26.3 114.4 0.165392
Port 24.7 99.8 0.163582
Roos 25.2 102 0.16062
Freo 26.2 108.1 0.157479
Dogs 25.1 98.8 0.156823
Tigers 25 97.9 0.15664
Dons 25.3 99.6 0.155603
Eagles 25 93.9 0.15024
Blues 25.1 89.7 0.142379
Crows 25.1 88 0.13968
Pies 24.3 78 0.132094
Dees 24.9 80.1 0.129191
Lions 23.9 72.4 0.126748
Gold Coast 21.9 54.5 0.113634
GWS 22.3 50.7 0.101953

Why are the Cows are always trying to get someone from Port? Seems strange when they are supposed to be the better run and resourced club. :rolleyes:

I won't believe this rumour has any credibility until Stupid repeats it.

but Bomber Thompson, but John Worsfold.

Oh and Mark Haysman as CEO.

I have decided to buy tickets to Sydney on Saturday if we win and swans beat Richmond. Considering the swans will finish top will the game be on Friday night at ANZ?
We can't know. In your scenario I'd plan for Friday but buy a return ticket based on a game being scheduled for Sunday. We did exactly the same earlier in the year for our game against Freo, when the date of the final H&A round hadn't been set, So now the Powerstufffs have a loooong weekend in Perth. Yes it's potentially a couple of night's accommodation you don't absolutely need. But providing your wallet can take the hit it's not too hard to enjoy a couple of spare days in Sydney.

Team Age Games Games/(Age^2)
Hawks 27 131.8 0.180796
Cats 26 121.9 0.180325
Saints 25.9 113 0.168453
Sydney 26.3 114.4 0.165392
Port 24.7 99.8 0.163582
Roos 25.2 102 0.16062
Freo 26.2 108.1 0.157479
Dogs 25.1 98.8 0.156823
Tigers 25 97.9 0.15664
Dons 25.3 99.6 0.155603
Eagles 25 93.9 0.15024
Blues 25.1 89.7 0.142379
Crows 25.1 88 0.13968
Pies 24.3 78 0.132094
Dees 24.9 80.1 0.129191
Lions 23.9 72.4 0.126748
Gold Coast 21.9 54.5 0.113634
GWS 22.3 50.7 0.101953

What does this really represent?

Are we high because we're young but our players have played a lot of games for their age? I don't get it.

What does this really represent?

Are we high because we're young but our players have played a lot of games for their age? I don't get it.

The table in the age and the article so you understand what it means

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...tliers-on-afl-age-ladder-20140826-108cis.html

2708player_ages_353-300x0.jpg

I would hope we'd get a Saturday game, given the fact that we're coming back from Perth. The game against Fremantle will be a tough affair, so that extra day's recovery time could be crucial. Neither Hawthorn or Geelong travel this week, so why not give them the Friday night game?

I would hope we'd get a Saturday game, given the fact that we're coming back from Perth. The game against Fremantle will be a tough affair, so that extra day's recovery time could be crucial. Neither Hawthorn or Geelong travel this week, so why not give them the Friday night game?

Hawthorn are all set up to play their QF on a Friday.

I am an advocate for a conference system to provide stability to the fixture. Would like to hear people's thoughts on the following ideas.
  • South Conference - Port Adelaide, Adelaide, + 4 Victorian teams not in West conference
  • West conference - West Coast, Fremantle, Collingwood, Richmond, Essendon, Carlton
  • East Conference - Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sydney, GWS + remaining 2 Victorian teams
  • First 5 game intra-conference, then 12 games against non-conference opponents,home and away alternating over 2 years,then the last 5 versus their conference rivals
  • Top 2 teams in each conference fill the top 6 positions in the finals, so all get a home final
  • Next 4 best teams play 7v10 and 8v9 for last two spots in the final 8
  • Intra -conference games worth 6 Premiership points
  • Each Quarter worth a bonus point (ie intra conference games teams can gain up to 10 points, Inter-conference games up to 8 points)
Advantages -
  • All blockbuster games and rivalries can remain
  • Creates real rivalries that can establish and endure over time.
  • All teams have to travel relatively equally and fairly, unless they choose to sell games to non-traditional AFL venues, then tough t***ies!
  • 22 rounds is locked in for eternity - provides certainty
Disadvantages -
  • Percentage becomes less important
  • There will always be a group of death - it will vary over periods of time, but someone will always feel hard done by

Thoughts? Be constructive...

I am an advocate for a conference system to provide stability to the fixture. Would like to hear people's thoughts on the following ideas.
  • South Conference - Port Adelaide, Adelaide, + 4 Victorian teams not in West conference
  • West conference - West Coast, Fremantle, Collingwood, Richmond, Essendon, Carlton
  • East Conference - Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sydney, GWS + remaining 2 Victorian teams
  • First 5 game intra-conference, then 12 games against non-conference opponents,home and away alternating over 2 years,then the last 5 versus their conference rivals
  • Top 2 teams in each conference fill the top 6 positions in the finals, so all get a home final
  • Each Quarter worth a bonus point (ie intra conference games teams can gain up to 10 points, Inter-conference games up to 8 points)
Advantages -
  • All teams have to travel relatively equally and fairly, unless they choose to sell games to non-traditional AFL venues, then tough t***ies!
Disadvantages -
  • There will always be a group of death - it will vary over periods of time, but someone will always feel hard done by

As a West Australian I'd probably die not getting to see Port live at least once a year. I'm guessing there would be no games Power games on free to air over here either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a West Australian I'd probably die not getting to see Port live at least once a year. I'm guessing there would be no games Power games on free to air over here either.
Why would Port not have to go to Perth? Would be guaranteed to play there twice every 2 years

I think there is some logic to weighting your staff choices to someone already living locally. Obviously it's not the main criteria but it's still worth considering.
Certainly agree that hiring a local person makes a lot of sense but if you are after the best of the best that should only be a minor consideration. My point was that all of these rumours about who the Cows are chasing seem to involve people who are, or have been, at Port.

Certainly agree that hiring a local person makes a lot of sense but if you are after the best of the best that should only be a minor consideration. My point was that all of these rumours about who the Cows are chasing seem to involve people who are, or have been, at Port.

That might be because to the people starting and spreading the rumours the world outside South Australia doesn't exist.

#fruchoctopia #stolenfromtribey #sueme

Advantages -
Disadvantages -

AFL now advocating a top 10 with a Wildcard weekend (7v10 + 8v9) for the first weekend of the finals.
I have influence that I wasnt aware of!

AFL now advocating a top 10 with a Wildcard weekend (7v10 + 8v9) for the first weekend of the finals.

Now Richmond will have to finish 11th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back