Go the Guts

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Mighty Double Blues
I actually applaud Port for trying to do something good like this and build some new culture. But it does look like someone just thought it would be a good idea because of the song's hook-line/title, whereas the song itself reflects nothing even football related, let alone Port Adelaide, at all. It's just a pop song, and the lyrics are clearly written about a "boy-girl" relationship. It's that aspect that makes the whole thing a bit cringeworthy. A bit of a try-hard Liverpool thing, but not well thought through.

Here's the actual lyrics, judge for yourself.

Don't ask me
What you know is true
Don't have to tell you
I love your precious heart

I, I was standing
You were there
Two worlds collided
And they could never tear us apart

We could live
For a thousand years
But if I hurt you
I'd make wine from your tears

I told you
That we could fly
'Cause we all have wings
But some of us don't know why

I, I was standing
You were there
Two worlds collided
And they could never ever tear us apart

But it does look like someone just thought it would be a good idea because of the song's hook-line/title, whereas the song itself reflects nothing even football related, let alone Port Adelaide, at all.

Gee, if only there was a big thread about NTUA somewhere on the board. Then maybe you could have a read it and educate yourself by reading some posts from Port Adelaide supporters about the relevance that it has to Port Adelaide! Oh well.

Go the Guts

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Mighty Double Blues
Gee, if only there was a big thread about NTUA somewhere on the board. Then maybe you could have a read it and educate yourself by reading some posts from Port Adelaide supporters about the relevance that it has to Port Adelaide! Oh well.

Or maybe I have a life and don't spend every waking minute of it on this site. Even if I'd have read this whole thread, my opinion wouldn't change.

Last edited:

Croweater

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2013
Somewhere
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt FC, Arsenal FC,
Mate, holding up a scarfe and singing a very ordinary 80s ballad is not my idea of going to the footy. If you think it has a place for your team, good for you. But i'm telling you straight up, if the Hawks supporters started to sing along to 'every rose has it's thorn' and held up scarves; i'd stop going to the games.

You just don't get it, do you?

Never Tear Us Apart isn't just a random song; it's symbolic of the togetherness that Port supporters feel due to the One Club merger, after the SANFL tried to rip apart the club's supporter base.

It's grown organically, hasn't been manufactured and is completely fan driven.

So keep talking s**t mate. But based on the type of crap you post, it's unlikely anyone will respect your opinion.

RePete

Club Legend
Jan 23, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
You just don't get it, do you?

Never Tear Us Apart isn't just a random song; it's symbolic of the togetherness that Port supporters feel due to the One Club merger, after the SANFL tried to rip apart the club's supporter base.

It's grown organically, hasn't been manufactured and is completely fan driven.

So keep talking s**t mate. But based on the type of crap you post, it's unlikely anyone will respect your opinion.

Wouldn't have even been 'Never Tear Us Apart' if it's recent popularity hadn't been manufactured by the recent channel 7 TV special and documentaries.

You are manufacturing a symbolic meaning for it like an English teacher manufactures meaning from a book. Or shall I say, pseudo-meaning?

JimmyBeerCans

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
May 6, 2013
Hell
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Wouldn't have even been 'Never Tear Us Apart' if it's recent popularity hadn't been manufactured by the recent channel 7 TV special and documentaries.

You are manufacturing a symbolic meaning for it like an English teacher manufactures meaning from a book. Or shall I say, pseudo-meaning?

dinger

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Had a reasonably long think about it and although I personally don't really buy into it/do the scarf holding up aspect, everyone around me at the game absolutely loves it, they sold a tonne of scarves as a result of it and it makes pre game a little more interesting. Not really hurting anyone and seems to make the game more entertaining for a large majority of people there so why not?

Jakksynn

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So let's clear a few things up here.
1. NTUA is fan driven in the most part.
2. Port fans love it.
3. It has meaning to Port Adelaide and it's supporters.
4. If you have a problem with it, we really do not give a flying * what you think. Read #2

I think that sums things up nicely. Carry on.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
4. If you have a problem with it, we really do not give a flying **** what you think. Read #2

The thread paints a very different picture.

I like the "we don't give a **** what you all think" sentiment but you have to live it for it to work.

With dozens of Port fans in here repeatedly screaming phrases like "fan-driven" and "organic", it seems that many care desperately.

Seriously, if you guys are happy with it, that's cool. You don't have to justify it.

Last edited:
The thread paints a very different picture.

I like the "we don't give a **** what you all think" sentiment but you have to live it for it to work.

With dozens of Port fans in here repeatedly screaming phrases like "fan-driven" and "organic", it seems that many care desperately.

Seriously, if you guys are happy with it, that's cool.

See that's the whole thing who really gives a ****?

Port are doing it and their supporters love it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

teknodeejay

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 14, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, Arsenal
Someones obviously still hurting over the result of that game. Flog.

You ask if the supporters know what the lyrics mean, but do you know what the lyrics mean to the club?

Given I enjoy watching the current PAFC team go about their business you'd be wrong.

And the song is as appropriate to a football club as We Are The Champions would be to Fremantle at present.

Jun 19, 2007
On the south side now
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
nil

But why do you care?

Every movement starts somewhere. What if it was the cheer squad deciding it was a good song and singing it at the games and then it caught on - would that be okay?

Can you describe the requirements of a song that would be okay to use? Since you're saying this one is invalid because tv made it popular.

Are radio songs allowed?

Is iTunes too mainstream for a song to be picked from?

What about songs posted on YouTube?

Wait - what if a song is popular because it's actually good, but merely achieves reach because it's broadcast on tv?

I mean sure, port fans feel like their club has avoided being torn apart, and the lyrics are perfect and the song represents their collective mindset extremely well- but if the club thought of using it instead of a single fan should it just be canned?

The offense people are taking to this, particularly ones that aren't affected by it, is just bizarre.

If you think it's tacky and crap just laugh at them. It'll give it just a tiny little bit more momentum but it might make you feel better.

Aug 31, 2010
Port Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies
I actually applaud Port for trying to do something good like this and build some new culture. But it does look like someone just thought it would be a good idea because of the song's hook-line/title, whereas the song itself reflects nothing even football related, let alone Port Adelaide, at all. It's just a pop song, and the lyrics are clearly written about a "boy-girl" relationship. It's that aspect that makes the whole thing a bit cringeworthy. A bit of a try-hard Liverpool thing, but not well thought through.

Don't ask me
What you know is true
Don't have to tell you

I, I was standing
You were there
Two worlds collided

We could live
For a thousand years
But if I hurt you

I told you
That we could fly
'Cause we all have wings

I, I was standing
You were there
Two worlds collided
The lyrics don't have to be about a boy and a girl. Song lyrics can have different meanings to a listener, that's why people love music. If you were a Port Adelaide person you'd understand, but your not, so don't even try.

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Don't ask me
What you know is true
Don't have to tell you

I, I was standing
You were there
Two worlds collided

We could live
For a thousand years
But if I hurt you

I told you
That we could fly
'Cause we all have wings

I, I was standing
You were there
Two worlds collided

Here are the lyrics for "You'll Never Walk Alone" is a show tune from the 1945 Rodgers and Hammerstein musical Carousel. In the second act of the musical, Nettie Fowler, the cousin of the female protagonist Julie Jordan, sings "You'll Never Walk Alone" to comfort and encourage Julie when her husband, Billy Bigelow, the male lead, kills himself to avoid capture during a failed robbery. The song has nothing football related to it. It's a bit cringeworthy because it comes from a Musical. You judge for yourself.

When you walk through a storm, hold your head up high
And don’t be afraid of the dark
At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky
And the sweet, silver song of a lark

Walk on through the wind
Walk on through the rain
Though your dreams be tossed and blown

Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And you’ll never walk alone
You’ll never walk alone

Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
You’ll never walk alone

But why do you care?

Every movement starts somewhere. What if it was the cheer squad deciding it was a good song and singing it at the games and then it caught on - would that be okay?

Can you describe the requirements of a song that would be okay to use? Since you're saying this one is invalid because tv made it popular.

Are radio songs allowed?

Is iTunes too mainstream for a song to be picked from?

What about songs posted on YouTube?

Wait - what if a song is popular because it's actually good, but merely achieves reach because it's broadcast on tv?

I mean sure, port fans feel like their club has avoided being torn apart, and the lyrics are perfect and the song represents their collective mindset extremely well- but if the club thought of using it instead of a single fan should it just be canned?

The offense people are taking to this, particularly ones that aren't affected by it, is just bizarre.

If you think it's tacky and crap just laugh at them. It'll give it just a tiny little bit more momentum but it might make you feel better.

Way, way too much common sense man.

Card yourself.

Aug 31, 2010
Port Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies
Here are the lyrics for "You'll Never Walk Alone" is a show tune from the 1945 Rodgers and Hammerstein musical Carousel. In the second act of the musical, Nettie Fowler, the cousin of the female protagonist Julie Jordan, sings "You'll Never Walk Alone" to comfort and encourage Julie when her husband, Billy Bigelow, the male lead, kills himself to avoid capture during a failed robbery. The song has nothing football related to it. It's a bit cringeworthy because it comes from a Musical. You judge for yourself.

When you walk through a storm, hold your head up high
And don’t be afraid of the dark
At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky
And the sweet, silver song of a lark

Walk on through the wind
Walk on through the rain
Though your dreams be tossed and blown

Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
You’ll never walk alone

Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
You’ll never walk alone
About a boy and a girl?

Tiger71

?????? King of the Micro ??????
Sep 22, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
So let's clear a few things up here.
1. NTUA is fan driven in the most part.
2. Port fans love it.
3. It has meaning to Port Adelaide and it's supporters.
4. If you have a problem with it, we really do not give a flying **** what you think. Read #2

I think that sums things up nicely. Carry on.

I have no idea why people are knocking port over this. It is something there fans enjoy, gets the kids involved to have a bit of fun and there is no real harm. it is not like there singing it during a tense 3rd quarter or anything.

augie

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I had not seen the lead up to a Port game until last Friday and I loved the use of the song, and more to the point the way the Port supporters embraced it. Having been to the Adelaide Oval a few times (but not since the redevelopment) I can imagine it builds on an already fantastic atmosphere. I didn't think of it as manufactured at all, but if you had other clubs replicating it with other songs that might be a bit off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back